Sydney AAE freight regulations

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Colin

morelia
Reaction score
Theres been some talk in an older thread on here how interstate keepers now need to book in any reptiles they wish to freight before they get to the AAE terminal.

Last time I was out at Sydney AAE there was no problem in just taking the animals there and booking them in at the counter, however when some animals were taken there last weekend the AAE person at the desk insisted that as from 1st May 2011 all animals have to be booked in either by phone or via their website..

whether it was just this particular employee that is saying this or whether its going to mandatory Im unsure but it may pay to book them in from now on to avoid drama at the counter and a wasted trip to the airport. he also whinged because they were double bagged and in a plastic box inside another Australia Post hard cardboard box :rolleyes: and ranted how they should be in a "wooden box" so maybe he's just an overzealous employee or maybe the regulations are about to be changed..

anyone else with information on this?

I mentioned this a while ago and created the original thread......I am at AaE every week, either sending or receiving animals......the new national system is being used at the moment as training to prepare for the full implementation on the 1st May.....sitting at AaE right now and we have just finished talking about the fact that ALL animals will have to be booked onto flights, must be in a crush proof box.

What most people don't know is how they are secured in a plane....each box is strapped down, plastic boxes easily break under these conditions, so wooden boxes are recommended, however I don't know about insisted on, depends on the quality of the box. Also make sure the box size is appropriate as they need to attach all their labels, live animals label, con-note and destination, you also are required to have attached a list of animals in the box.......

Having said all this I know all to well that people will have different experiences, all I can do is pass on the information that I am getting every week from AaE!

Spoke again to AaE and YES as of May 1st all reptile MUST be in a wooden box as per CASA regulations! They are being told to start enforcing as of NOW!

Last edited:
As far as i no wooden boxes are needed for venomous snakes
i think youll find out strong plastic containers are fine for other non venomous reptiles.
but we all need to book the reptiles in by phone before turning up at AAE

Straight from the AAE website

How do we pack Reptiles?
Snakes under 60cm must be bagged, goose necked and in a hard plastic box. A snake over 60cm and any lizards must be bagged, goose necked and in a wooden box

This is a pain because a tiny gecko needs a wooden box! I use the craft boxes available in art/craft shops

I was also informed about this. for hatchies i use the plascit blue willow 6-pack eskies from bunnings (about $23)with some holes added . nice and sturdy and a bit of insulation as well.
cheers
simon

I got pulled up on a few geckos the other week at Sydney , was told they needed to be double bagged / goose necked and in a wooden box ...
No mention of having to book though , I have to send a few animals next week so might ring ahead first in case.

Its always been a preference at Brisbane that you book the day before.
In addition, they now email you a booking pass that must be handed in at the time of drop off. On that booking pass it also clearly states that all plastic containers must have the lid screwed down in 6 places.

Apart from the boarding pass, none of these things are new. You've just been getting away with it because of slack staff at the counter. Brisbane has been requesting wooden boxes for years but get sick of arguing so let some plastic containers through.

thanks for that information Sean and others.. I had hoped Sydney might not have these restrictions as last time you posted this information Sean the AAE desk told me it was only a recomendation and booking them in at the desk was ok as per usual.. looks like its going to be mandatory booking in at Sydney from now on.

I also feel that hatchling reptiles properly bagged inside a sturdy hard plastic box thats inside a hard carboard box thats sealed properly sufficient. wooden boxes only increase the weight and frieght costs.. maybe this is the reason behind the AAE thinking.

My advice is simple, people have told you what the changes are, if you still don't understand or believe it call 13 12 13 and ASK them.....simple!

I've always understood that ALL livestock needs a prior booking, it's been that way for years. If you've been getting away with just showing up, then it's just because the individual employees at AaE can't be bothered with the hassle of turning you away.

Just remember, if you don't comply, then this last means of airfreighting reptiles may be taken away from keepers in Oz. There are only a couple of airlines which will carry reptiles in the US and Europe, Virgin won't do it here, so we are stuck with Qantas and a couple of regionals here. If we lose them, we're buggered...

Jamie

Oh blast. I was counting on shipping a hatchy in a hard plastic container, which would only cost $51. If they insist on wood, the price and hassle factor will go up dramatically. I got a quote on their advice line last Friday after checking the website. Not really fair to change things before the official change comes into force. I'll double-check before shipping out of Sydney and booking it on a flight (of course, they say they can't book a particular flight until you get there, etc). What a pain!

It seems that Sydney depot is the source of confusion / implemented changes / individual interpretation of the rues, etc..
Simple solution: write to the AaE headquarters in Melbourne, explain the inconstancies you have been experiencing and ask for a clear explanation. Print their reply and take it with you every time you go to AaE office.

As all recipients of my animals will know, wooden boxes are the only way I freight.
I consider a prior telephone call to check on flights and book in at least the day before to be a logical thing to do.
This is necessary so I can call the receiver and let them know details etc, and even work around what they have on so I can organise an arrival to suit their work times etc.
Wooden boxes do not increase the price dramatically or the stuffing around, I make my own and they don't take long. Theres a good reason why I ship in little wooden crates..... they don't fasten cargo in aircraft and can quite often end up moving around, even upside down.

I sent some Gecko's yesterday from Sydney AAE for my cousin and they didn't say a thing about booking or what it was packed in? ( plastic tubs inside a plastic tub )

I sent some Gecko's yesterday from Sydney AAE for my cousin and they didn't say a thing about booking or what it was packed in? ( plastic tubs inside a plastic tub )

Yes, you were lucky, but that won't always be the case, even now. If you get someone behind the counter who does things by the book, you'll be on your way home with the beasts you were going to ship. I think you'll find that all livestock MUST be pre-booked, or they have the right to refuse carriage. Most will probably allow it through, but who wants to take that risk?

J

Here's a tip for those of you worried about the wooden boxes increasing price. Assuming that you build your own, weigh all the parts of the box before you assemble it to keep it under 1kg. It will take a bit of fiddling around, trimming bits here and there for the first one you make but once done take measurements and build all future boxes to the same dimensions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back