Sydney AAE freight regulations

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose we should be thankful that the price rises have come at this stage in the hobby. Do we really need to ship BHPs intrastate when there are plenty around? Freight cost is going to continue to rise so its important to build and maintain local communities.One of the main problems in a large country like Australia is the centralisation of good and services which often carries with it the cost of increased freight travel and transport. Think local!

Regardless of wether we get BHP's or any snakes at all for that matter from intersate or not - we still rely on AAE to get them to us or for us to ship any reptiles out - due to where we live.....
We DO NOT have the option of thinking local - its all right for those of you who live in a metropoliton area, where your choice is varied and much.
We have to rely on AAE and if people cannot take a little time and effort ( just like we do when sending reptiles )then it will stuff it up for the rest of us...

Regardless of wether we get BHP's or any snakes at all for that matter from intersate or not - we still rely on AAE to get them to us or for us to ship any reptiles out - due to where we live.....
We DO NOT have the option of thinking local - its all right for those of you who live in a metropoliton area, where your choice is varied and much.
We have to rely on AAE and if people cannot take a little time and effort ( just like we do when sending reptiles )then it will stuff it up for the rest of us...
There are road couriers between Emerald to many parts of Australia, but I agree whole heartedly. The fewer novice users of AAE the less likelihood of "stiffing it up for the rest of us". Perhaps it would be prudent to explore alternatives to AAE and "groom" a local courier.

There are road couriers between Emerald to many parts of Australia, but I agree whole heartedly. The fewer novice users of AAE the less likelihood of "stiffing it up for the rest of us". Perhaps it would be prudent to explore alternatives to AAE and "groom" a local courier.

There might be road couriers to and From Emerald - BUT they take way too long ( especially for freighting reptiles ) and ARE VERY UNRELIABLE......and it is definately not very practical for interstate freighting.....

We send a great deal of equipment via road freight from Victoria to Emerald QLD and other parts of QLD, often this takes from 5 days up to 15 days.....AaE same day.....what is best for the animals health?

While it does not apply it is still required and when you call in to boom the reptiles on the flight they will email it out to you, technically no form no flight!
Last time I tried to book a reptile on a flight to Melbourne (a month ago) I was told that they would not do so because flights leave every hour and that I should just show up. You try to do the right thing, but you keep getting different stories! I will try again this time, but my expectations are low...

Even though I sent a hatchie last time I built a wooden box just to be sure I met the regs in terms of strength, since that part of the instructions is very ill-defined. The animal I'm shipping now is much larger, so the plywood box is substantial, with a plastic box and the goosenecked bag inside, plus shredded paper to cushion the snake from sliding around. Of course, there are ventillation holes in plastic and wooden boxes. No one is going to criticise my packaging!

Last time I tried to book a reptile on a flight to Melbourne (a month ago) I was told that they would not do so because flights leave every hour and that I should just show up. You try to do the right thing, but you keep getting different stories! I will try again this time, but my expectations are low...

Even though I sent a hatchie last time I built a wooden box just to be sure I met the regs in terms of strength, since that part of the instructions is very ill-defined. The animal I'm shipping now is much larger, so the plywood box is substantial, with a plastic box and the goosenecked bag inside, plus shredded paper to cushion the snake from sliding around. Of course, there are ventillation holes in plastic and wooden boxes. No one is going to criticise my packaging!
When I picked up Smij they made a point of telling me how much better your packaging was compared to SXR's, lol

While it does not apply it is still required and when you call in to boom the reptiles on the flight they will email it out to you, technically no form no flight!

If you phone during business hours then the call centre does the booking and emails out the form. However if you call at the weekend when the the call centre is closed you get directed to the guys on the front desk. They dont seemed interested in making bookings and sending out forms, quote "we're a much more relaxed crew at weekends, just bring it in and you will be alright". Last two occasions at the weekend I've tried to make a booking. So no form, just payment and away it goes......even when you ask for a booking and a form and point out how important this seems to have become......

The call centre today gave me the number of the livestock desk at Mascot in order to make my booking through them. (Long-suffering sigh) Last time I rang the livestock desk at Mascot during normal business hours and was told not to make a booking. I guess the main office are the ones to call for bookings, then. I guess I shall try to book through them...

Like many operations, proceedures only matter when things go wrong. She'll be right until things go wrong and then they'll go real wrong.Reptiles are a bloody nuisance to AAE . Given the hassles and claims I have heard of its only a matter of time until they refuse to carry like other couriers have done. I wonder how smug we'll feel about evading the rules, when there is no casual airfreight available for reptiles.

This is what I recieved from AAE on their FB Page.
Australian air Express wrote: "Hi David. Thanks for your enquiry. There are no new reptile shipping requirements. The existing requirements for reptiles are that shippers comply with the International Air Transport Association (IATA) Live Animal Regulations. Here is a link to their website http://www.facebook.com/l/f9047/www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/live_animals/Pages/index.aspx The only changes to livestock shipping apply to cats and dogs and pertain only to the introduction of a Shippers’ Statement for cats and dogs as of 1 May 2011."

The change is that they should now be enforcing the IATA regulations.....note I said should be!

I have never heard of a "pet shipper declaration form" and have shipped several times. Where do I get this form? I always fill in a shipping form and carry + enclose copies of the export permit, but never knew there was another form. It has never been mentioned.

Just checked the AAE website and found the pet shipper form under the document download. It is for people shipping dogs and cats, but not relevant to reptiles, even though we consider them pets. That's why they would not have asked for the form.

Emailed from AAE regarding my gecko shipping booking...

Dear Mr X,

Thank you for making an animal reservation with Australian Air Express.

Your booking reference number is X. Please find attached your reservation confirmation which details your pet's booking and itinerary.

At Australian air Express (AaE) we are making some changes to our pet transport booking and acceptance processes. These changes are to ensure we maintain the highest safety standards and meet the strict guidelines regarding the transportation of animals by air. These guidelines have been created by airlines and air transport providers in consultation with animal welfare agencies and veterinary practitioners. They are designed to ensure your pet travels safely and comfortably.

One important change that impacts you and the lodgement of your pet/s for air transport is the introduction of a shipper's statement. This statement assists in ensuring that only animals fit for travel by air and those permitted by the airline operator are accepted for air transport. In addition, the statement ensures the container the animal is travelling in is adequate for air transportation from a safety and animal welfare viewpoint.

Please find attached a shipper's statement for your pet/s. A separate statement must be completed for each individual animal and presented to AaE when you lodge your pet/s at the freight terminal.

So yes there are "new changes" and yes you do have to fill out a shipping declaration form or "shippers statement".

AAE, get your stuff together! Consistency would be nice

I asked why counter staff and call centre staff are saying restrictions are changing. This is the response.

Australian air Express wrote: "I will investigate why our front counter staff have provided you with that information, David. Unfortunately, we are unable to publish the IATA regulations on our website due to the IATA's strict copyright."

I have [FONT=&quot]AAE'[/FONT][FONT=&quot]s National Manager - Operational Systems and Planning calling me today or tomorrow, I will let everyone know what the out come is.
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back