Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like it was a great event and I missed out on a good one. It a pity these events are so far out of reach for my pockets.

Sorry to rehash this, but if I could add my 10 cents worth on W.A west coastal Woma’s. Boodaries Womas tend to be larger than some other parts of the northern Pilbara but ridiculously smaller than the Shark Bay southern populations( they get huge and up to 5 kg) . Although many may consider me to have a handle on what is going on over here in regards to this species, the simple fact is that I have only explored a small portion of the Pilbara Woma’s total distribution and therefore have not seen every single locale to have any data on their average size besides of course weights and sizes from specimens from DeGrey Station, Strelley Station , Munda Station, Port Hedland area, Boodarie Station, Carlindie Station and Indee Station. What is very clear though from finding probably well over 200 in the wild by now, is that there can indeed be consistent size differences between populations that geographically speaking aren’t that far apart, why this is so, is a question I would love to know the answer to. West of DeGrey for example, they are quite small compared to just south west of Hedland e.g Boodarie. It needs to be remembered though that some of those stations mentioned are monstrous in size and at both boundary extremes there could even be size difference. As a general rule of thumb goes though, the further south of DeGrey you go, the bigger they become. I am curious as to what constitutes a pygmy woma? If the Pilbara coastal woma’s are genuinely smaller, perhaps then this tag has some merit. After all isn’t this the reason why many have embraced the pygmy Stimson label from north QLD?
I know for a fact that Bob has some Boodarie specimens but apparently has some from another area of the Pilbara of which locale he didn’t actually know. He may very well even have some DeGrey specimens as well, as he rescued a few of mine from a keeper in NSW who fell on very hard times. Bob probably would just assume they are Boodarie specimens I would have a guess. For those remotely interested, both locales are only a mere 50 kms a part.

Cheers Dave

Regarding the thefts, maybe a small number of "shop detectives" might be useful at these events.

Sounds like it was a great event and I missed out on a good one. It a pity these events are so far out of reach for my pockets.

Sorry to rehash this, but if I could add my 10 cents worth on W.A west coastal Woma’s. Boodaries Womas tend to be larger than some other parts of the northern Pilbara but ridiculously smaller than the Shark Bay southern populations( they get huge and up to 5 kg) . Although many may consider me to have a handle on what is going on over here in regards to this species, the simple fact is that I have only explored a small portion of the Pilbara Woma’s total distribution and therefore have not seen every single locale to have any data on their average size besides of course weights and sizes from specimens from DeGrey Station, Strelley Station , Munda Station, Port Hedland area, Boodarie Station, Carlindie Station and Indee Station. What is very clear though from finding probably well over 200 in the wild by now, is that there can indeed be consistent size differences between populations that geographically speaking aren’t that far apart, why this is so, is a question I would love to know the answer to. West of DeGrey for example, they are quite small compared to just south west of Hedland e.g Boodarie. It needs to be remembered though that some of those stations mentioned are monstrous in size and at both boundary extremes there could even be size difference. As a general rule of thumb goes though, the further south of DeGrey you go, the bigger they become. I am curious as to what constitutes a pygmy woma? If the Pilbara coastal woma’s are genuinely smaller, perhaps then this tag has some merit. After all isn’t this the reason why many have embraced the pygmy Stimson label from north QLD?
I know for a fact that Bob has some Boodarie specimens but apparently has some from another area of the Pilbara of which locale he didn’t actually know. He may very well even have some DeGrey specimens as well, as he rescued a few of mine from a keeper in NSW who fell on very hard times. Bob probably would just assume they are Boodarie specimens I would have a guess. For those remotely interested, both locales are only a mere 50 kms a part.

Cheers Dave

Thanks very much for that information. Should help me out when I decide to get a Woma :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back