Trying to convince my mum to let me get a snake?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ubermensch

Reaction score
I'm after this 5ft Diamond Python that I asked my parents about, and at first it was really positive, they said they'd think about it, etc. Then today mum decides that she's not comfortable with me getting a snake.
She's convinced that it's gunna escape and eat my cat and dog :/
What can I do to convince her that it's not going to happen?
Comes with full lockable enclosure, i'd be keeping it in my room which, when I close the door (due to the poor construction of my house) theres about a 1mm gap between my door and my floor, it wouldn't be able to get out unless I wanted it to.
How can I talk her into this? If she doesn't agree I'm going to have to finalise my moving out plans about 2 months before I'm meant to.

tell her that a 5ft snake in a proper built enclosure will never escape (unless you leave the door open)

Well see that's the thing, she's not seeing logic.
I told her that with the personality of my cat, even (vicious little bugger) that I'd be more worried for the welfare of my snake.
No avail :/

tell your parents the snake would have no chance of eating your dog/cat..Also if the snake did escape it certainly wouldn't start a hunt for your dog/cat!

ask her if she is comfortable with getting a small one, if she is then get a diamond hatchy which will grow to be 5ft eventually

tell her that the big box with the covers in your room is nothing to worry about lol

Dossy that would be irresponsible. If I bought one home without their permission they would FIND a way to make me get rid of it. Law or not. I refuse to purchase an animal and bring it home without their permission, it's only fair to the animal.

Dossy that would be irresponsible. If I bought one home without their permission they would FIND a way to make me get rid of it. Law or not. I refuse to purchase an animal and bring it home without their permission, it's only fair to the animal.

I respect your responsibility there... way too many young people go behind their parents back and it's the animal that suffers. No idea on how to convince them though, have you asked them to research the snake a little so they know it wil certainly attack your cat or dog? Best of luck!
:)

Try getting your mum interested in the idea of you being able to get a snake. Next if she is ok about it let her pick the snake that way she is comfortable about the idea.Thats how i won my wife over into me getting a snake, she picked our snake out of about 6 and named it as well. Now she is slowlly loving the snake. Also I now have 3. If you can do the same later on you could get yourself another snake that you really want.

Good job - Dossy gave some fairly bad advice there..ha.

Your mother probably just is generally uncomfortable with the idea - that she is worried about it escaping and eating your other pets probably isn't it.

Unfortunately, you cannot bring everyone around to the idea no matter how hard you try. I guess you may just have to respect her wishes on this one and purchase an animal when you are able. Something to keep in mind: pythons live for a very long time, so if you have to move back home for any reason, you may have to part with it down the line.

Yeah, she just told me she's scared of them :/
I hate irrational fears. She's never met a snake in her life. She's only scared of them due to lack of knowledge and stupid media hype. If she ever got to KNOW one I'm sure there'd be no issue but she is letting her fear blind her.

Take her for a mystery outing and end up at the local reptile park... once she sees people holding them (maybe even holds one herself?) she might realize its not that bad.

Haha, think she may disown me then and there.
Or drive off and leave me alone in the reptile park (heaven?)
Thanks for all the help and advice :/ just don't think it's going to happen for as long as I'm living at home.
Might just push my moving out plans forward :)

Hey Ubermensch
Its one hard question when Olds always set the rules when your living at home...
who looks after the cat an dog and cleans up after them...if you do ...thats always a good point :D
but if its your frist python I would start off with somthing a bit easyer to look after then a Diamond..not that im saying you couldnt do it or wouldnt do it ..but it is a harder python to care for ...
Plus if its your 1st as if you dont wont to start with your own 1st hatchie baby...get a better understanding of your own pythons nature and temperament and food sizing and so on...
plus there is nothing like seeing one of your babys growing up hahaha
An im sure a lil hatchie will be so much easyer to introduce them to and its fare less imposing to them!
Hope that helps mate
all the best with bringing reptiles into your family!
keep us posted :)
Ezekiel

Do the cooking, wash the dishes, hang the washing out, vacuum and clean up around the place. Try the reverse psychology approach.

Haha, I told them I'd keep my room clean, everything off the floor, and vacuumed once a week! =O
They actually said they were tempted, but still no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back