Trying to convince my mum to let me get a snake?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hehe, glad to hear it! I always bring up little bits of info to my dad when I'm suggesting a newcomer, like, "hey dad... did you know that the juvie beardie I want can stay in a smaller, temporary enclosure until he grows out of it? And the power bill will be a lot less for that". Or, "juvie snakes like click-clacks, that way there's no big enclosure and no massive power-bills (yeah... I still pay for those power-bills)".

Hehe, but as someone else said, starting off with a little 'baby' reptile is the best bet. You watch them grow and you know the animal a lot better (which is a plus when you don't know a little reptile is snappy... imagine if it were a big reptile!). But hope all goes well and best of luck once again.
:)

You could buy a book on your favourite snake, or keeping them in general, and just leave it lying around one day for her to find. She might pick it up and have a look through it....... Just make sure it's not one on retics!

Also, if the tattoo idea is a dead end, tell her you might use the money to buy a motorbike instead.

Start off by telling your mum you want to get a taipan, get real interested in it, hanging pictures of them up around your room and start finding ads with them for sale....then tell them you've changed your mind for a non-venomous childrens python ;) Problem solved! :lol:

How would you go babysitting my little coastal for a couple of weeks while I am on holidays.

It would onlybe for a short time. . . . . .

You could buy a book on your favourite snake, or keeping them in general, and just leave it lying around one day for her to find. She might pick it up and have a look through it....... Just make sure it's not one on retics!

Also, if the tattoo idea is a dead end, tell her you might use the money to buy a motorbike instead.

Already done that! It seems perhaps I have already used up my rebellious cards and can't use them as a threat anymore.

You could buy a book on your favourite snake, or keeping them in general, and just leave it lying around one day for her to find. She might pick it up and have a look through it....... Just make sure it's not one on retics!QUOTE]

Alternatively, you could buy a few copies of our magazine, Scales & Tails Australia, and let her read a few articles. The articles are all written in an easy to understand way and might help her to gain a better understanding of reptiles and hopefully help her to overcome her fear.

From personal experience I understand exactly where your mum is at, as I was exactly the same a decade or so ago when my son Denver wanted his first python. If anyone had told me then what an about turn I would do and that 15 years down the track I would be as addicted as I am, I would have told them that they were absolutely nuts. I'm happy for her to phone me if she would like to. I'm sure it would help her if she could chat with other mums who've been in exactly the same situation.

If I had continued with my fear and not allowed Denver and Troy to have any reptiles, what a different life we would have been leading today..... I hate to think about it.

Cheers
Joy

thats great advice joy . and to show her parents the type of people snake owners /breeders/hobyists are you could send a few back copies of your great magazine

You'll get there... trust me!
My dad didn't want anything to do with my snakes, now he's let me have a scrub python and is all enthusiastic for me getting my restricted license :lol:

my mum wasnt keen on me getting snakes either, so started with a small childrens. now she is fine with snakes, but doesnt like holding the bigger ones lol

maybe you could try with lizards to start with, geckos beardies there are lots out there, then move onto snakes.. youl end up with lizards at some point in time anyway lol

I wasn't allowed to have any non mainstream pets when I lived at home, mum has a phobia of snakes.
She refuses to come over for dinner says it will give her nightmares.

If your parents say, "No" to a python at home you should respect their wishes remember it is their home.

If you still want a python or three when you move out then go for it. Use the time to learn as much as you can and also to save up for better animals and enclosures.

Cheers
Octane

Dossy that would be irresponsible. If I bought one home without their permission they would FIND a way to make me get rid of it. Law or not. I refuse to purchase an animal and bring it home without their permission, it's only fair to the animal.

haha i didnt do it dont worry guys but i know alot of people who did it. my rents would be the same with law or not :)...and the guy who said bad advice yer im gr8 at bad advice :)

ask her if she is comfortable with getting a small one, if she is then get a diamond hatchy which will grow to be 5ft eventually
This is a good idea. Kinda compromise and your Mum would see that a snake that small wouldn't harm your other pets and small enough for her to get to know.

Educate her first. get another snake when she’s fine with it. You have your whole life to get a snake. Don’t jump in if it upsets someone you love.

Im in the same position with my mother. Try to reason with her and it does nothing. She keeps saying this "friend of a friend" had a snake in their bedroom and it got out one night and strangled the owner in their sleep. So apparantly I too am waiting until I move out sometime later this year...

I think the hatchie idea is a winner.. my mum was against the idea of a snake but when she saw my spotted as a tiny little shoelace she fell in love! Then she saw my diamonds and immediately started talking about how pretty a handbag they'd make - try and use that jokingly!

But yes look into getting a hatchie.. cute as buttons, small, harmless, mum friendly.. she will have ample time to get used to it as it grows.

If still no, then go for a different herp - get a tree frog, or a lizard or something less scary and then move up to a snake later.

I think the hatchie idea is a winner.. my mum was against the idea of a snake but when she saw my spotted as a tiny little shoelace she fell in love! Then she saw my diamonds and immediately started talking about how pretty a handbag they'd make - try and use that jokingly!

But yes look into getting a hatchie.. cute as buttons, small, harmless, mum friendly.. she will have ample time to get used to it as it grows.

If still no, then go for a different herp - get a tree frog, or a lizard or something less scary and then move up to a snake later.

im trying to get my bro used to my hatchies before they get too big lol he hates snakes but is ok as long as they stay behind glass lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back