Trying to convince my mum to let me get a snake?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
make her watch david attenborough documentaries! most fear of snakes comes through a lack of knowledge, and seeing them as animals that just sit around waiting to kill either people or their pets. so educate her! :) make her watch 'life in cold blood', and soon enough she will be going along to the pet shop to buy you one, and one for herself!

take her somewhere she can hold a couple of snakes. when i wanted my first, i went to the reptile shop near by and asked them if i could have a look at some of their pythons. then i held them and eventually she held them too. maybe you should look at getting a hatchie or junvenile first? that way it grows with you and your mum will be able to trust it more :)

there are no such things as 'irrational fears' and it makes no difference if shes had anything to do with them or not, they are 'her' fears like it or not but dont put her down because of them, also remember snakes DO eat dogs/cats so her fear does really have a valid reason behind it

maybe a way to start would be for you and your mum to go see the breeder and speak to him/her, maybe see if your mum could possibly have some interaction with a small one, show her how secure the enclosures are and how they lock etc

maybe acknowledging your mothers fear and helping her over come them would be the best way to go

i do however applaud you for not wanting to go behind her back this to me shows how much you respect your parents

im not keen on snakes myself but i did allow my son to have one and 'muggsie me' even had to feed the damm thing cause son was at school so i had a choice, either risk a rat getting out loose in the house or feed it to the snake (back then live food could be feed to snakes), what is the worst case scenerio? you would have to move sooner then expected? maybe the person selling the snake could hold it a few extra months until you have your own place?

HA ...you see I have the opposite drama ...Iam a mother ,and none of my 4 kids share the same interest in reptiles as I do ...I wish I had at least 1 out of 4 that was as keen as myself ...my oldest does like snakes ,well pythons that is ,well as long as they dont bite and are quiet as now ;)
See I wouldve loved if one of mine was as happy to jump in the middle with mum and do what I do ...but sadly no :(

Take her to a reptile shop and get the shop owner to introduce her to a placid female childrens python......

i think your best of getting a hatchy and then she will see its not the big scary monster. my mum is terrified and was the same. but she learnt to deal with it as long as i dont take it near her. but yea she is another 1 with stupid fears of something they know nothing about. good luck.

If you're only a few months from moving out, maybe you should just wait until then? You're mum is probably much more likely to appreciate your hobbies and even come around to the snakes if you don't force them on her.

thats great advice joy . and to show her parents the type of people snake owners /breeders/hobyists are you could send a few back copies of your great magazine

Great idea! Show them some snake owners! ;)

025b27c15a4c0331d2fca5510b77e913.jpg

red_neck_car.jpg

...anyone else got any pics? :)

Just wait until you move out. I seriously doubt they're going to change their minds any time soon. And don't make the same mistake I did - point out that if a 5'2" 120kg woman can have a tramp stamp, then why can't I have a snake?

It's much more rewarding than keeping a snake a secret under your bed in a snap-lock container anyway.

do what i did
when ever they ask you what you doing or anything say just researching about snake - over and over again
as mentioned befor take your mum to a reptile shops were they have a few snakes ask if you can hold one (look for the calm ones)
hold it abit then telll you mum to put her hand out after shes had a look and seen that they are not "killers" my mum held one for about 2 mins and now she dosnt mind on the idea of me getting a snake and now im getting one in 12 days :D

Is it time to resort to threats:

If I dont get a snake I am going to accept that pole dancing job.

Or

Yes you are right, the money will be better spent if I go to Thailand and get breast implants. For the cost of a snake I can go up three cup sizes.

Hey you will love my new boyfriend, not only does he keep venemous snakes in the caravan that he lives in in his moms back yard, but because he is a bouncer at the strip club, he can get me that pole dancing job without having to go to Thailand. Also his brother works at the tattoo parlour, when he is on bail, so I can get the big Gean Simmons tatto on my chest.

Or

Yes you are right, the money will be better spent if I go to Thailand and get breast implants. For the cost of a snake I can go up three cup sizes.

Hey you will love my new boyfriend, not only does he keep venemous snakes in the caravan that he lives in in his moms back yard, but because he is a bouncer at the strip club, he can get me that pole dancing job without having to go to Thailand. Also his brother works at the tattoo parlour, when he is on bail, so I can get the big Gean Simmons tatto on my chest.

My poor parents put up with so much ahah.
I have tattoos, piercings, got a loan for a motor bike and I ACTUALLY DID pole dancing lessons for a while (for the fitness, I swear!)
My boyfriend is an Emo with tattoos and piercings and a love of screamo.
And my poor mother was actually calling me a man at dinner today because I apparently chew with my mouth open (I didn't realise!) and I am happy with nose-picking conversation topics.
I think she's slowly coming around to the idea of a snake haha. She said they MAY be cute as hatchies.

Or

baaaahahahahahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back