Trying to convince my mum to let me get a snake?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha, I told them I'd keep my room clean, everything off the floor, and vacuumed once a week! =O
They actually said they were tempted, but still no.
If they ever actually agree to that, get it in writing! I had the same deal with my mum, keep my room clean for 3 months and I could get my snake. I kept it clean for 3 months and - you guessed it - still no snake allowed! :lol:

Yeah, she just told me she's scared of them :/
I hate irrational fears. She's never met a snake in her life. She's only scared of them due to lack of knowledge and stupid media hype. If she ever got to KNOW one I'm sure there'd be no issue but she is letting her fear blind her.

like I said my wife was the same now slowlly winng her over

How would she be if you wanted a Bearded Dragon. If she is cool with this then in no time she will be adicted just like the rest of us and a 5ft python is only a small step up.

Or start talking about putting the money that you have saved to buy a snake towards a tattoo instead, (that tends to be an attention getter).

But I already have two giant tattoos! Haha.
I told her if she let me get this snake I wouldn't be able to afford the massive half-sleeve I'm planning
Still no!

just go buy 1 and say u cant sell it 4 6 months and then they have to live with it and they get used to it
havent u seen the thread where someone bought a snake off a breeder parents wouldnt let her keep it so wanted a refund from the breeder huge hassle and stuffing around not a good idea to tell other people to do the same.

just buy it they will get over it

I can't believe there are more than one of these silly posts!

Thankfully the original poster has more sense.

People should really think a bit more before giving such rubbish advice :rolleyes:

Soft? In what way?
We are talking about living, breathing, BEINGS. Not a bloody tattoo I can get and my parents can't get rid of it when I come home.
This is something that may SUFFER if I do not follow the rules set by my parents.

Yes well clearly.
But Gus, I was asking for practical advice I could use to convince my mum a snake would not eat my pets.
Not for half-hearted advice to put a python in danger and an insult to myself for following my mums rules when she has said 'no'.
When I started this thread, it was not a flat out no and I was after advice.

Well I'm a Mum & I know that I HATED the idea of my son (also 17) getting a snake until I "met" a few snakes in person. Now my 10 year old daughter has one & I'm hoping to get my own soon as well. Take her to see a few & you might be able to sway her thinking.:)

Well I'm a Mum & I know that I HATED the idea of my son (also 17) getting a snake until I "met" a few snakes in person. Now my 10 year old daughter has one & I'm hoping to get my own soon as well. Take her to see a few & you might be able to sway her thinking.:)

Haha, actually I am 18, but close enough! ;)
Feel like adopting another child?

Seriously though - I actually was worried it might be able to eat my 9 month old daughter or one of our cats or dog as well, until I became a bit more educated & saw that this wasn't going to happen. I think it's just a matter of changing her perception - people are generally scared of snakes - let's face it - they don't exactly cop much good press do they? I know we had visions of a 15 foot long, 3 foot wide anaconda type thing living in our house (like you see on Bondi Vet!) until we did a bit more research & saw them for what they really are - a truly amazing creature. If you can get her involved in the research etc then you might have a better chance of changing her perception of snakes in general.

You can come live here if you like - with all the rest of the kids & animals! l:lol:

My dream is to live in a menagerie! ;D
Yeah, the problem is the actual education of my mother. She won't listen to logic and I don't think taking her to meet any snakes would work - I don't know anyone who owns one and I don't know if there are reptile parks in Victoria!
Also I don't drive so I doubt I could just say "Hey Mummy, wanna take me for a drive to the reptile park so I can make you hold an animal you hate?"
XD
I hate media hype of snakes :( they really don't capture their true personality.

my dad was the same when i wanted a snake he hateded them untill know so i tried the long way of doing it. i first said can i get a snake and he said no so i said what about a little lizzard and he thought about it and told him all the reserch i did on it and convinced him i could look after it and he gave in to letting me buy a bearded dragon. after about a year of having him i he got used to seeing him so i asked for a snake did the reserch again and he said ok and know i have my beardy and a south west carpet python and might do the same thing again in a year lol.:D

hope this helps

Sometimes educating people wont change them........I keep a fair few reptiles and luckily my parents have encouraged into me growing up but I have always had a morbid fear of cockroaches and spiders.......no matter what anyone said or did park, holding it, etc I still hate them. I have done many stupid things over it like nearly falling into a deep sewage effluent wetland the other day because a spider crawled on my waders and I didn't feel it and nearly knocking myself out on a fishtank. Sadly some people don't like certain animals and it's something that you gotta accept I guess. It sucks. Good luck in getting your snake

i have a fear of spiders as well mozi and i have always been but i would love the chance to try and hold a trantular or something just to see if i could over come it.

Yeah would be a good thing to be able to hold a spider or cockroach but I think I would be sick before I could do that someone would literally have to hold me there lol what I am trying to say it is hard for some people to get over it.......whether it be snakes or spiders

All cool! :) Mum said no, but the boyfriends Mother is a snake lover so they said I can have one at their place.
The only problem will be getting it back after I move! D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back