Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kodie

Not so new Member
Reaction score
i have a small baby snake, about 30-40cm long. it looks just like a Darwin Carpet/Coastal Carpet but it has a Pink belly.
any ideas what it could be? it was sold as a female Darwin carpet python but i had a look today and it's actually a Male. so i'm starting to question whether or not it's a Darwin Carpet.

i'll try find my camera

Photos are to blury so i'm going to upload a short video of him

Last edited:
we need a pic 100_0627.jpg
i have a few hatchling and yearling darwins they all have verry pink bellies, a little hard to see in the pic but there pink

how do you know its a male?

Last edited:
looking at the tail method is only 50% correct, you need to get it probed.

ohk thanks. i know kinda how to tell with the tail. short is female and long is male :p but my snake is so agro! :( it's not even funny lol

So because it MAY have been probed incorrectly, the breeder got confused by what snakes they put together this season? >.> A pink belly doesn't really mean squat.

hnn17 said:
looking at the tail method is only 50% correct

I heard 70% of all statics are made up. It's true, I read it on the internet.

Actually according to the people that actually do it, it's far more correct then just 50%.

Edit.
i know kinda how to tell with the tail. short is female and long is male

Length doesn't mean anything... Might actually just trust the breeder imo ;)

oh thanks. the video of the snake is nearly finished uploading so i'll show yous. but yer with the tail if the skinny part is short means its a girl because more fat body for reproductive system. just my 2 cents :D

My little Darwin was the same. When he was a hatchie he was pink and orange. He was also an odd shape, he was elliptical rather than round. But as he's getting bigger he's losing his baby colours and becoming more snake-shaped:)

oh thanks. the video of the snake is nearly finished uploading so i'll show yous. but yer with the tail if the skinny part is short means its a girl because more fat body for reproductive system. just my 2 cents :D

Believe everything everyone has ever told you about reptiles, and you'll have a grand ol' time.

plus i showed him to my mate who has like 12+ snakes and he said it might be a Bredli

I didn't realise purchasing abilities indicated knowledge. I must be smart! :p

Last edited:
if your trying to be a smartass, aint cool mate, and he has kept snakes for over 10 years. he does know a fair bit aobtu them ok

ohk thanks. i know kinda how to tell with the tail. short is female and long is male :p but my snake is so agro! :( it's not even funny lol
my male bhp has a shorter tail than my female bhp and he is defently male because the female with the longer tail is super gravid

All three of my girls have been sexed, all were just sexed by there tail when I first got them, got told they were female and all were then re-sexed by a vet when I got them and all are 100% female.
HOWEVER
I think it depends on the snake, some snakes show mixed signs, I used to volunteer in the zoological industry and one of the Olive's that was there, we thought was a female, lucky we got HIM checked out because we were about to put him in with him xD
Would not have ended well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back