Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tail shape works well with some specie and not so well with others and certainly requires a good degree of experience to get it right where it does apply best. Short of hemipene eversion where possible, the most reliable method is probing. Due to the potential for harming the snake in this process, it should only be performed by an experienced and competent individual.

The first question to ask should be directed at the person who sold it to you – How did you ascertain that it was a female?

A photo in good light on a neutral background (such as a white sheet) and taken on a phone would, in all likelihood, settle the identity question for you. I am sure at least one of your mates could help out if you asked around. Otherwise you are asking people to guess blindly. If you want a definitive answer, a verbal description won’t cut it. So its over to you.

Blue

ive only ever heard of the tail thing being used with womas and bhps , and from what i knew it was done by the taper of the tail not the length

hey kodie just wondering how is your wild olive python going living with a coastal has one been eaten yet ? :D but we do know your friend is an expert because he suggested it !!!

can tell by the tale on it

tail*

Unless you have a lot of experience sexing juvie pythons you really havent a clue as this method is not completely accurate. Yes there are some out there that can indeed sex pythons by vision but they are few and far between and usually back up their finding with probes!

The best you as a novice will get is a 50% chance of being right!

if your trying to be a smartass, aint cool mate, and he has kept snakes for over 10 years. he does know a fair bit aobtu them ok
Just because someone has kept for that period of time, it doesn't necessarily mean the are knowledgable about all things. If that was the case, I've had staffordshire bull terriers since I was 5 so I must be an expert on them these days

Some people..We need to know when to 'discuss' and when to just smile and nod.

Kodies threads would all be category number two.

I have heaps of snakes I recon it's a female red bellie black and I ain't even seen a picture that's how good I am. Don't probe or guess pop it and find out the real sex, probing is only 72.345percent accurate so I'm told whereas popping them is like 105 percent accurate honest

I'm almost certain that if you can't identify the snake you probably can't identify the sex by visual tail inspection, I could be wrong though, after all there is less margin for error with a tail sexing then identification of morelia species or :lol:

So you purchased the snake off someone, what does it say on the paperwork?
Many Darwins have pink bellies by the way.

Yeah there some chewing gum floating around in here!
And some precise percentages about probing too!
Remind me,. if I ever go blind, not to ask for directions on aps, Lol!

Yeah there some chewing gum floating around in here!
And some precise percentages about probing too!
Remind me,. if I ever go blind, not to ask for directions on aps, Lol!

its ok id just give visual clues for u to save the confusion

I Wouldn't rely on my own visual sexing of captive pythons but reckon I'd have a good percentage of accuracy when it comes to Elapids as many of them have definite/visible hemipenal bulges when encountered in the field.
Maybe this has something to do with an overall leaner body conditioning than captive snakes and seasonal influences.

I Wouldn't rely on my own visual sexing of captive pythons but reckon I'd have a good percentage of accuracy when it comes to Elapids as many of them have definite/visible hemipenal bulges when encountered in the field.
Maybe this has something to do with an overall leaner body conditioning than captive snakes and seasonal influences.

Same with cyclists and ballet dancers

if your trying to be a smartass, aint cool mate, and he has kept snakes for over 10 years. he does know a fair bit aobtu them ok
Well let yur mate come forward so we can all learn something!!!!......lets c who he is and then we can decide whats what.......put yur pic up or dont throw a thread at us......... SIMPLE.........Bet he not even looking at this thread anymore????????? lol :lol:
:lol::lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back