Using Heat Cord

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

M.bredl.mad

Reaction score
Just wondering how people use heat cord under their hatchy/juvenile snake tubs.

Cheers

I have my hatchy tubs sitting on a piece of timber with slots cut at one end and feed strands of the heatcord into the slots, with my heatcord on a thermostat. I am at work at the moment but when i get home I will post a pic and show you.

At the moment I have 3 tubs sharing 1 heatcord. i have a 3foot by 2foot piece of malamine with 3 slots cut length ways on one end. i have a 6metre heatcord fed into the slots, to have 3 strands. I sit my tubs on these so one end of the tub is on the cord.

I am hopeless with explanations, better posting pics

Umm thanks for such an elaborate answer.

:eek:pps: Misread it, and thought it said how many people use heat cords. (too tired)

Run it under your tub (twice if you have to) but don't overlap it.
Some people keep a tile on top of the cord so it spreads the heat a little.
Have a look at peoples rack type set ups and it'll give you an idea.

Lol cheers mate. Pretty tired myself. How do you find it compared to heat mats?

Just as good and if you don't want to use a thermo you can usually control the heat by spreading out the distance between the cords. ;) (depending on the wattage of the cord of course)

Do you think 50 watt cord will be alright for the hatchy tubs?

How many tubs?
We have a 15w, 4 metre under 4 tubs at the moment (with 2 runs and there is still cord left over) and it heats up fine.
The 50w is usually around 6 meters ( i think) so there will be plenty of cord and you'll need a thermo.

Im not sure if a 50 watt would be suitable, there are a few differant brands around now with differant length and power combinations. I only use the 4m 15 wat cords for snakes as they get to a good temperature without risk of melting the plastic or starting a fire(provided you dont do anything really stupid). You dont really have to have them placed in a grove if you are just sitting plastic tubs on it, but i would make things neater.

They are much better than heat mats, for the reasons mentioned above.

I got 4 tubs like yourself. Would it trouble you to post pics of your set up as im not sure of the gab between each rap of cord? Also with the tubs, the ones that arent exactly flat on the bottom due to an edging which raises them. Are they still ok to use?
Cheers for the help mate

Hatchy rack

Here is a few pics of my setup i bought the boxes from the reject shop for $2 ,they are microwave safe.And use a 50 watt 6 m cord and gets to a nice 30-32 deg with a single run under the box.The boxes i dont leave the lid on as the next shelf up is used as the lid.
PA130162.jpg

And a close up of a box.Could some one let me know how to put multiple pics please.
PA130164.jpg

Thats awesome mate. You only use the single run of cord. Is it bad to have a few runs of the wire going under each?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back