Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kristy, that's what I have been advocating all along. Snakes or should I say reptiles generally are inquisitive creatures and given the opportunity, they will explore. I often chuck a palm fronds into my outdoor enclosures and you can bet that than night, the inhabitants are going to be very busy. Take them out in a few days, replacing them with a a bamboo branch with all the leaves on it, and so on. They never thank me for it but wouldn't hold it against them. LOL

I have always been little bit reserved on the use of terms such as "happiness", "intelligence", "appreciation", etc., it's a matter of interpreting our observations and we all have slightly different outlook on that.

Licky, the branches are screwed in through the side panels.

I am going to feed her tonight and I wonder if she will hang on those roots tomorrow with a rat in her gut.

View attachment 163460View attachment 163461

Another refurbished cage for the mail. Going in tomorrow.

From my own observations with carpets it seems to me that young pythons are more arboreal than fully grown specimens.Once they reach adult sizes/weights they tend to be more comfortable on the ground..

It is important to look at other possible reasons why some animals tend to want to perch more often than others (gtp's excluded).It could be that the air temp up higher in the enclosure is more suitable for the animal or that they are just getting up closer to a heat source for example.

Good point. One could also speculate that young (small) pythons are safer in trees that on the ground - pigs, dingoes, rats and other predators operate on the ground. Being perched on branch extremities or thin branches also gives them better protection against feral cats, white-tailed rats, and killer possums & koalas. LOL

Since our SWCP has gone into her enclosure, she has only hung out up the top, usually as high as she can as she has purpose built hides up there but I have never seen her on the ground, never.

I have my jungles in vertical enclosure... apart from exercise and a much better heat gradient where the heat is always left on and the snakes choose where they want to be, I found that the jungles went to the floor only to defecate. This, for me, meant that the snakes had a much cleaner life style.

Just a thought.

Crapping from a great height must be very relieving sensation.
As for cleaner lifestyle, that may apply in an enclosure but I don't think terrestrial snakes ever come in contact with their own faeces in the wild (or that of other snakes).

Just a thought.

Is there any benefit to letting them climb at all?

Look at all the big breeders in the states like Brian from BHB or Ralph Davis. They keep and breed GTP's in large tubs with no perches or even hide boxes.

Something will only breed if it is happy.

Michael,

I recently moved my young RSP into his new enclosure its 4ft high by 2ft by 2ft & he hasn't used his hides since. It had been raised in a tub all its life by John Weigel (snake ranch) & still its natural instinct is to live in the trees (perched). He's happy & has been feeding, exploring & sleeping perched now for a while. I would certainly do the same type of aboreal setup for GTP's & Tree snakes.

Camo,

In my opinion its all well and good for big breeders to keep pythons in racks/tub but at the end of the day I bet those guys have a few nice enclosure display enclosures on the side.

Camo,

In my opinion its all well and good for big breeders to keep pythons in racks/tub but at the end of the day I bet those guys have a few nice enclosure display enclosures on the side.

If you are a fan of Snakebytez you will see Brians GTP's is starmaid tubs. I dont think the big breeders will really care about nice displays. They want production. In the same spot they put 1 tall enclosure they can put 6 tubs on a rack.

Cameron

This is not true. Many animal species will breed in terrible conditions if they 'think' they are going to die, as a last-ditch attempt to ensure the survival of the species. This is particularly true for fish.

If you are a fan of Snakebytez you will see Brians GTP's is starmaid tubs. I dont think the big breeders will really care about nice displays. They want production. In the same spot they put 1 tall enclosure they can put 6 tubs on a rack.

Cameron
I think what michael is trying to get at is..........

theres a happy snake...........
but there can be a happier snake..... if you get what I mean

just a thought

If a snake has perches and room to move etc then wouldn't that encourage exercise?
The extra exercise will benefit the snakes overall health which is a great thing for breeding snakes

Breeding is not a measure of success (on our part) and that of happiness (on the snake's part).
But that's just my way of thinking. If I was a large scale snake farmer, I would have them in tubs too.

cheers
M

Look at all the big breeders in the states like Brian from BHB or Ralph Davis. They keep and breed GTP's in large tubs with no perches or even hide boxes.

didnt realise ralph davis has green tree pythons does he!!!??

ok just for kicks, imagine u either had to live in solitary jail cell no posters, no pens to write or draw, nothing just bed a crapper and water or a custom built room at the hilton?what would u prefer, all animals are the same they like stuff any stuff thats new
i fail to believe snakes can be totally stoked in a plastic box with a dunnie roll a water bowl and a twig, but im just a newbie herper :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back