Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dobermanmick

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hello ,
Thought that would make you look ,
just wondering what storys you all have about the fun good and bad about getting your first ever snake and things that you learnt during that time !
Heres some ideas
What species ?
Housing heating ?
Feeding ?
Escaping ?
What your friends thought when they first saw it ?

dobermanmick said:
What your friends thought when they first saw it ?

I'll answer your last question with the answer being "they thought I was nuts!" But there lies the ignorance factor of 10+. Give me a snake over a flea ridden, hair dropping, saliva drooling, fowl smelling dog or cat anyday. At least I don't gag at the smell of cat food when I'm feeding the snake. I can also play with her food while she's eating the first one...should I go on!! lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

My first snake was a copperhead. I had it in an outside pit for about 6 months when my dad spotted it. He asked what is that snake doing here and I said basking. He told me to get rid of it or hed kill it. I accused him of wanting to kill everything blah blah blah. Some 30 years later he brought it up again and said how hurt he'd been. He never threatened to kill any snakes again though.
I had to let it go again.
Fed it on guinea pigs(my sisters)
Mates thought it was awesome and even more so when it almost tagged one idiot who kept teasing it.
Peter

my first snake was a blackheaded, stupid mistake had save up all this money and then bought from a pet shop was a bad choice as it didnt feed for 10 months then he started to eat after a few assist feeds, then i sold him to make way for more herps, bought 4 snakes for what i sold him for. one mate in particular said "the best snake is a dead snake" now i have taught him about them he always comes over and holds them.

My first and only is a Stimmy. Its only still a hatchling :)Ricko has heaps so I play with all of them (no im not talking about the trouser snake). Rickos blackheaded was so nice looking tho, and so so placid, he would have been the best pet. But for a starting out herper like Ricko was, he wasnt great. God he'd be good now tho rick!

All my friends hate snakes. But, they all seem soo interested when they get near them. All my friends are very pussy and speak alot of bullcrap, then turn around and wanna hold them? A few of them have actually wanted to start their own collection after seeing mine and ricks. My family dont like them. God, dont get my brother onto a conversation about them, they are wild blah blah, should be kept in a small cage blah blah. But dogs and cats are kept in a home? They were wild too once! Birds in a cage? And I always come back with, I dont care, i love em. Each to their own though. :)

my first snake was a junglexcoastal carpet my friends are interested but from a distance last month all my relatives came down for the cricket and they loved watching her eat four mice at the start they were scared but in the end they were begging for more

think most ppl sorta freak when they first hear you have a snake, as the above stories proves. people are interested to watch but not so much to touch. there is to much hype going around about australias elapids that puts a black cloud over the pythons.

but once you get people to meet your snake, (in my case i got a <>) they seem happy to have a hold!

first snake was a diamond, most friends are willing to hold him but there are a few chickens :p one actually got a rash on her hands and wrists after holding him - i wouldnt have thought an allergy to snake skin was common if even possible but hey...who knows.

feeding is TOO cool at the start. we used to invite people around for "The Feeding" until i started figuring the snake didnt like heaps of people staring at him while he ate lol. most people found it really amazing (once he actually started eating an hour later lol).

is she allergic to any other type of animals
i wouldnt think a snake would give a skin rash
has anyone ever heard of this before ?

not sure if she is....i agree tho i wouldnt have thought anyone would be allergic to a snake

Mates thought it was awesome and even more so when it almost tagged one idiot who kept teasing it.
Hehe i would have loved to be ther and seen that !
Thanks petersrescue i got a good laugh out of your story boys will be boys :lol:

lol maybe! she should be coming over in the next few weeks i think so we'll see then!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back