Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the reptile keeper from the melbourne zoo recommended when he had an indigo snake or something out and it bit him coz he smelt like rat and it wouldnt let go and he squeezed some metho in mouth and it let go. when you breath into there mouth you grab there head and then breath into it so they dont bite again.

Well you obviously haven't had any tradgedies with the metho but I think I will stick with just giving the hands a good wash after handling the rats, irrespective of whether or not I am going to handle a snake. I am still very unsure of the breathing into their mouth during bite mode and won't even be testing the technique, but if it works for you, great!
Best of health to you and your animals :|
Regards Rina

Rina said:
... hands a good wash after handling the rats, irrespective of whether or not I am going to handle a snake....
Same here, In fact I couldn't stand not washing after rodent handling.

I've heard that holding a snake and the limb she is feeding on under a cold shower will cause the animal to let go. Haven't had a feeding tag yet so I haven't put it to the test

With all this talk about dousing a snake when it is attached to your person, well I can't help thinking of comparing this to grabbing the hose and soaking dogs when they are fighting! It's not working for me, but not to be a sadist Fuscus but you know if you do get nailed anytime soon, please test this method and report back. All in the name of science and all. :twisted:
Regards Rina

Well, for the sake of science, I'll admit to getting tagged recently by a hungry mac. Bit my thumb and tried to constrict my hand to death (ain't they cute?:)).

Put the hand under gently running water did the trick nicely. However, the only thing that concerns me is the thought of getting water in the lungs of the snake. Don't know if that's an issue or not. In any case, I've vowed to be a little more cautious in future! :oops:

Okay what about an angry snake that just wants to bite you do they always let go or do they hang on ?
Is metho bad for your snake and i can guess that no one wants their face near a snakes mouth when in feed mode !
Thanks for your help everyone

Blowing air gently into the snakes mouth has worked for me a number of times, in fact the only times it hasn't is when the snake has had such a good hold as for there to be no gaps between my skin and the jaw of the snake.

Okay, glad to see that these are tried and tested methods for some but definately a case of each to their own for me!
Regards Rina

my first snake was a black racer neonate, thing was vicious bit the hell out of me even locked on my lower lip and wouldn't let go for about 30 mins, i must have been around 9 or 10 y/o at the time,

jcaustralia said:
my first snake was a black racer neonate, thing was vicious bit the hell out of me even locked on my lower lip and wouldn't let go for about 30 mins, i must have been around 9 or 10 y/o at the time,

that's a nice looking animal. Not familiar with them, any form of venom? I'd hope it doesn't since it kissed you! lol

Hey David, must be something in the water! My Mac got my finger the other day too... she's gotten me three times all up I think... (Weird, and lucky I guess that only the Macs in my house ever get grumpy.)

I just spray her face with water from the misting trigger bottle - very gentle to them, and works a treat.

It must be Maccies Niccy babe, I can guarantee blood every time I handle mine :) Oh, Oh, Oh, not the ones I have advertised for sale of course :) lol

the black racer is a the only smoothed scaled snake in n.e. usa, they are non venomous, and they are pretty comminly found in the wild but not really kept in captivity, and in reguards to the macks, mine is getting real nasty i think she finally decided after 8 months of having her be a stubbern feeder, she is finally deciding to put weight on her cause she nailed me and wrapped me twice this week, so i am going to let her be a little nasty cause she is in desprete need of weight, lol, my recently departed male was cool never even tried to nab me, and the other female is the same as the male too,

LOL Nicole! It ws my own fault though. Hadn't fed her in a while, and I guess a moving, warm thumb could be mistaken for a mouse! :) :shock:

jcaustralia said:
my recently departed male was cool never even tried to nab me, and the other female is the same as the male too,

I've got a pair, and although they don't like being handled, neither have ever tried to bite me. The female struck at a day old chick I was offering her, missed and she hit my hand, but her mouth was closed when she hit. I count that as an accident.

Hix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back