Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Love the leafy pics, damn they camoflauge well, good find indeed? Where was that location?

Can pm me if you dont want to put it up.

Hope you removed the ticks. Those bats were amazing! Were they adults?

Gday guys,

Just thought I'd post up some of the pics I got... As with everyone else, didn't get 'round to all the animals.. In fact I think I got mostly the same as you Matt ;)

Oh, has no one mentioned that Giant Snail??? How cool was that!

Apologies if some of the ID's are wrong - correct me if they are, I really don't have a clue when it comes to frogs or reptiles. Also got some awesome shots of those massive ticks - and of a tick I yanked off my scalp. Here's the gallery link:

http://www.pbase.com/alankwok_au/smiths_lake_fats_07

It was a good trip - my first real frogging outing (and with FATS)... :)

Not sure if the bats were adult, but in any case they don't get much bigger.... Nyctophilus geoffroyi is the Lesser Long-eared Bat, and gets to max of 15g, usually about half that. The other bat we got was Vespadelus vulturnus aka the Little Forest Bat, which weighs in at usually <5g.... Both are really common species in eastern Australia and around Sydney. I've attached a pic of the Lesser Long-eared Bat from western Sydney so people know what it looked like :)

Cheers,

Alan

Attachments

• CRW_7211_E_03_F_thumb.jpg
    CRW_7211_E_03_F_thumb.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 39
yes do come along. the meetings are held only 1 time every 2 months and are held on the 1st friday of every even month i.e. february,april,june,august,october,december. so the next is on the 7th of december. i will be talking about the smiths lake field trip and there will be other speakers. it is a great group full of people with there own stories about herping trips and we also talk about reptiles sometimes so its a bit of a mix. looking forward to seeing you there.
and yes i did forget about that snail
cheers
matt

Yeah there'll probably be quite a few people wanting to share photos at the December meeting too, it might be quite busy. I'm pretty sure George is giving a presentation on small mammals/reptiles in the Strezlecki desert, which will be really interesting.... :)

Hey Alan,

Good to see you joined the site. I'm a bit worried about you posting photos, it makes mine look more amatuer!

-H

Stuck onthose bats, they look amazing, miniatures! Never seen them around here tho i suppose i'd need a magnifying glass. plenty of flying foxes tho. More pics? Pretty please?

very nice finds
how'd ya stumble upon the spinipes as I have the perfect habitat for them as we like on the back of a lush foresty reserve but i cannot find one. I can't even find my captive one in my enclosure lol

heh the more photos the better, Henry... Next time just 'accidentally' push me over when I'm taking shots :lol:

Jen, microbats can be pretty common as far as things go (some are obviously threatened).... Even in the suburbs of Sydney there's a few species that are flying around unseen and unheard. One species humans can hear calling though - the White-striped Mastiff bat - - it sounds like two 20c pieces hitting each other, making a sharp 'tinging' sound :)

I'm all out of photos from Smiths Lake, I think, but have plenty of random microbat shots from Sydney ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back