Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It IS natural for a BHP to eat rodents.

What Adam and i are trying to do is simulate nature for our snakes as much as we possibly can for the well-being of our snakes. By this, we feed them as close to what they would eat in the wild as we can.

We would not and do not agree with feeding our snakes pieces of chicken breasts because it isn't as close to nature as can be and it provides nowhere near enough nutritional value.

You keep your snakes the way you like and we'll keep ours the best way.

I think it's a very weak argument. We are gonna feed live and you are bad for feeding pre cut chicken cause it aint natural..... but it's ok to feed them something that although aint natural if they found it in the wild they would eat it? Are you saying that they wouldn't eat chicken strips if the found them in the wild? I personally know someone who has fed wild diamonds chicken necks.

Um, can you get your words straight and make sense??? I don't understand what you're saying.
Magpie said "I think it's a very weak argument. We are gonna feed live and you are bad for feeding pre cut chicken cause it aint natural..... but it's ok to feed them something that although aint natural if they found it in the wild they would eat it?"

WTH???

BHP's DO take rodents in the wild. Where they naturally occur there are an abundance of reptiles, hence the 90% of diet consisting of reptiles.

My BHP's have NEVER had a problem with taking rodents and are very healthy.

Try reading it reaaaaaal slowly, I'm sure you can get it.
Basically - cats and rats aint natural food for them, no matter that they are there now, they aint native to the area. So what the hell is the diference? It's either fully 100% natural or it aint, no in betweens sorry.

yeah rats/mice aren't "natural" either - but define natural!
i think what she is saying that feeding a snake a whole-bodied animal complete with all the trimmings, fur, feet, beak whatever, is more natural than feeding partial cuts of animals.

It is more natural for a BHP to eat rodents which provide nutritional value than feeding ANY snake chicken breasts which provides little nutritional value.

I would much rather feed my snake a full chicken (blood bones and all) than a piece of breast.

Read that slow sorry!!

I'm sick of repeating this point. Some people just don't get it.

Its the same reason I feed my baby tawny frogmouths day-old chicks ...
If I were to feed them say dogfood, which some people do, there would be a lot less nutritional value and their health would suffer from lack of certain nutrients obtained from things like bones and feathers.
This is what we were taught as wildlife carers :)

BHP's have a massive range, they'd get the chance to eat wide variety of different things, but they choose reptiles, the same as Yellow Faced Whip Snake choose skinks, the same as Inland Taipans choose rats, the same as Red Bellies choose frogs.

Keeping snakes in captivity is so far from natural. I once thought to do the same, but a good friend of mine gave me a bit of a talking too, and I saw the light.

As Magpie said, it's 100% or nothing. My mate has some of the nicest Red Bellies I have seen, and they are fed everything from mice, day old chickens, sausages, and yes, the chicken strips.

lol, as long as we all understand your point, you don't really care about adressing what anyone else is saying do you? I never ONCE said it had as much nutritional value, please read what is written, not what you think it says. You said it was NATURAL to feed rats or whatever but not chicken. I said no it is not....

Read that slow sorry!!

I'm sick of repeating this point. Some people just don't get it.

I also never ONCE claimed that what you wrote didn't make sense as you did to me.

um, not to detract from your debate, or to be part of it, but im just wondering if snakes actually get any nutritional value from fur, feathers etc, seems to come out same as it went in.

Oh Pinkie do you have any barnowls???? I have to buy a pair just like the ones at the Big Pineapple.

100% or nothing? I feel sorry for your animals if they are viewed as objects rather than subjects.

was that a reply to me please? ??? :?

100% or nothing? I feel sorry for your animals if they are viewed as objects rather than subjects.

WTF?
How do you get that from saying it's either natural or it aint?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back