what frustrates you about some people with reptile

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My pet hate, and yep, being picky here, but people who say that their 'whatever' reptile - 'layed' eggs. No, it 'laid' eggs. Enclosure, not encloser. Know, not 'no'. YeaH, not 'yea' (rhymes with 'yay'). There, their and they're. Oops, sorry, too far... ;)

but following closely would be people that just type flat out and hit the submit/post button
without checking their spelling and grammar. They leave it for us to un-scramble their mess.

Agreed, some of the spelling & grammar on this forum is deplorable, it makes you wonder if some people even went to school. What makes it all the more frustrating is when you're trying to decipher the 'illiterate ramblings' in the post you realise that some of these people actually know what they're talking about, they just can't put it in writing.

Being very new to keeping snakes, I want as much info as I can get. I have researched and done lots of reading. I have also (and will continue to) ask LOTS of questions. I have noticed that there is quite a significant amount of conflicting information out there. There is also a significant amount of very very generalised information out there. To that end, if I want to learn (and I do), if I want to give my animal/s the best care I can (and I do) I want to ask people who have been there, who have experience and who give information and advice I can trust. I will ask what could probably be dumb-**** questions to people who have been doing this for years and for the most part I refuse to apologise for that. If the roles were reversed I would happily share my expertise and/or experience to help someone out. Just as I am more than happy (and very appreciative) for any help I am offered from this forum and it's members, and happily defer to others' expertise - whether they are 11 or 83.
Just thought maybe the glut of misinformation available should be mentioned here.......

I couldn't have said it better myself.

I did a lot of the "dumb question" research before I joined this forum, but for much of my questioning I needed very specific answers to, but the right (read: complete) information was next to impossible to find, so I totally understand why it seemingly feels like some people are asking repeat questions, but sometimes a question just isn't answered correctly for each person's many variables and they need clarification.

I'd rather ask a REALY dumb question than make a REALLY dumb mistake.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My whiney annoying personal frustration (non-forum related) pet hate is when people say "rather thEn do it that way" instead of "rather thAn do it that way" it's THAN people, not THEN. (end whine)

I couldn't have said it better myself.

I did a lot of the "dumb question" research before I joined this forum, but for much of my questioning I needed very specific answers to, but the right (read: complete) information was next to impossible to find, so I totally understand why it seemingly feels like some people are asking repeat questions, but sometimes a question just isn't answered correctly for each person's many variables and they need clarification.

I'd rather ask a REALY dumb question than make a REALLY dumb mistake.

I have always said ' you ask ten very experienced keepers one question, you may get ten different answers', doesn't mean any of them are wrong. Will be more like what works for them.

There is the odd question that there can only be one right answer though.

I hate Grammar, grammer, grandma nazis, think they're the **** and everything with there well construted essays and above average vocabularies, pfft, LOL

The incessant bitching and malicious backstabbing that seems to happen in this hobby!

....... and the innocent ones getting caught in the middle of it!

Last edited:
just a question... what classifies you as a tyre kicker? when i was looking for my jungle i contacted a few people to get some more information/pictures to better make my choice.. i then chose which one i wanted after careful consideration.. and told the other people that i had purchased my snake already... does that mean i was a tyre kicker to the people whose snake i didn't buy? id LOVE to have everyone's snakes.. but there is only so much a uni student can afford..

A tire kicker is someone who contacts you over every snake you have for sale, every time you put one up, doesn't specify which animal they are interested in, says something like "tha nake looks grt, how much to post to melfbourne", tries to beat you down on price on an animal that already costs less than most kids earn at maccas in a few hours and then dissapears until you put the next animal up .... unless they contact you 3 weeks later to ask "Is tha snke still for slae?" or even better "Will it be fo slae in a month?".... Tire kickers also tend to ask for individual photos of every animal from the same clutch from different angles with and without flash being used, only to not even send a courtesy response if you oblige and take the time to take 75 photographs of identicle childrens pythons....

My two pet hates about other reptile keepers:

1, They have better looking snakes than me

2, They have more snakes than me.

. . . . really p*sses me off. . .

Why? Who cares what someone else thinks. If you think your snakes are beautiful then that is all that matters. And wow, he has 11 snakes, I only have 10. Get over it and enjoy your hobby. It isn't a competition - well the expos are but even then they are still for fun. I entered my ordinary intergrade girl in one of the expos. I was proud to see her there.

Tire kickers also tend to ask for individual photos of every animal from the same clutch from different angles with and without flash being used
Haha! When I had my pet shop I had a customer who would come in and study our tank off 500 neons. I am not exagerating and she would pick "that one there" and do you think I could get the right one. She was that bad that if I saw her coming I closed my doors and put up a sign "back in an hour". I couldn't stand her demanding my attention for hours just to buy one neon.

Last edited:
People wasting your time when your trying to sell a snake. More then that people who buy a snake/reptile without doing any research. Then ask all these silly questions about simple stuff eg; "what do I feed it", "can I feed it live", "how often can I handle it", "my snake won't eat (got it yesterday and handled it all day usually) and it's trying to bite me", "how do I maintain temp" and the best ones are "what should I get & what should I call it". What normally happens is someone gives them the answer to all there questions, then they ask the next day why it still won't eat. What is really annoying is when people ask what temperature should the enclosure be. So you tell them, then they ask how you check the temp. So you tell them they just check it with a thermometer. But wait they then say "I can't afford a thermometer" as they didn't realise how expensive the initial setup cost as they didn't research in the first place. Just me venting lol

Last edited:
Reptile Trolls: Sexually frustrated men/woman between the ages of 14 to 35, who feel empowered by putting others down from the safety of their keyboards.

This very complex mathematical equation explains how this phenomenon occurs:

d9f52e0469398513ad24e5b0935ffa61.jpg

Penny Arcade for the win.:)

I hate: Petshop advice! These employees need to be trained before offering advice on keeping reptiles. I've heard a couple whoppers that would've had me pissin myself laughin if some poor reptiles health wasn't in danger.
Not to mention that when I started with BD's they sold me all this expensive, incorrect **** and I ended up making my beardie sick!
I'm really glad that NSW petshops cant sell reptiles :)

Oooh boy yes. My local pet shop has some awesomely well-informed and helpful staff who I think are wonderful, and a handful of idiots who know nothing at all and might have caused some serious harm to reptiles with their 'advice'. One told me the CTS I was looking at was a python and was kept in exactly the same way as all the other pythons (because pythons are all kept in the same way). I ended up politely reporting her to the boss, because that sort of thing could harm or kill some beautiful animals.

Last edited:
Rednut could not have described it any better than you did in your post.
Classic giveaway is " Where are you"?. Pal have a look in the top right hand corner, that tells you where i am.
" Can you lower the price to make it worth my time". If they aren't worth your time at this price they are not going to be worth your time at any price.

Classic giveaway is " Where are you"?. Pal have a look in the top right hand corner, that tells you where i am.
Sometimes people don't have their location shown. I bet you if you go through most of the posts on here, only half of the people would have their location shown. most of the new members don't.

" Can you lower the price to make it worth my time". If they aren't worth your time at this price they are not going to be worth your time at any price.
Exactly!

I agree with most of the posts on here. Has anyone ever had the question "why wont my snake eat today? he/she ate yesterday, but wont take the food today? is there something wrong?!" I personally have never had it, but a mate of mine has.

The price difference between things now and 15 years ago. I wish things were priced as they are now back then when i wanted them all.

People who ask an extreme amount of questions, then ignore the answers they are given and ask more questions on the same topic.
Now I know how others felt when I did that...

Yes Snakeluvver I can relate to no doubt being frustrating when asking questions. Sometimes I can ask the same question within a space of 10 minutes and forget I'd already asked that. Or sometimes I need things explained in a "dummy's version" without alphabetic words that I can't pronounce let alone know the meaning of.

I was a good pet shop. Unfortunately my shop closed doors when the economy was low to a point that our wholesalers started stocked Big W and bargain stores. I can't compete with chain stores that can sell their stuff for less than I was paying for them. But that was 4 years ago. I now work in the Deli at Coles and still get customers asking me about their pets and hunting snakes for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back