Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't necessarily think the problem lies with newbies asking repetitive questions - as it has already been pointed out it's not hard to just skip past the threads you aren't interested in. If there was a problem I'd say it's in the way people who really do have experience (which obviously can't be guaranteed by length of membership, spelling and grammar or number of posts) are ignored, argued with and even abused by people who either don't have a clue or have some personal agenda.

In the past I've been reduced to hysterical gales of laughter when watching people who I know have decades of experience being told they've no idea what they're talking about based on the fact that they'd made a spelling error, didn't use capital letters or hadn't posted much. Not because I thought that the person shooting them down was right, but because I found it hilarious that from behind their computer screen, armed with the bare minimum of knowledge they had thought they had the right to be completely dismissive of a total stranger. I stopped laughing the day I realised that everytime I found a posts by people I knew had a wealth of experience behind them there would inevitably follow one....or two....or scores of posts full of flawed logic, inane dribble or downright vicious vitriol all aimed at trying to shoot down a piece of solid advice.

Let the 12 year old kids out there ask all the questions they want, the sad thing isn't that they're asking the same thing in 50 different ways - it's that there's no way of guaranteeing that they'll be given (or listen to) decent advice.

What would you folk suggest?

Learn how to use this site properly.
All is here. Learn what forum to use and what forum suit to your interest.
Use search option, this site have such a large archive. most of your answers are there.
Come to chitchat forum to have fun and not to discuss scientific dilemmas.:shock:

Theres a side of the arguemant that seems to over-looked.... heres the herpes version of events...

For starters, alot of the noob questions would be easily answered with relatively minimal research, although rather than put the effort in, they put the pseudo research and sponge for basic answers from other who put the yards in. But thats just the first wave.... so then you unknowingly walk into the ambush phase... you answer the question, giving the information you have put years into gaining, for no benefit of your own, only to be swamped by posts of mis-information from dozens of users who saw a pic of a reptile once, and are in the process of deciding to get one of there own. The person whom originally asked the question, then goes with the majority and ingores the few morsels of correct information in favour of the masses.... and the circle perpetuates itself.

I am in no way an expert, learning in this game is never-ending. Every now and then I skip the effort of jousting the noobs in a thread and pm the poster directly, although in most cases the effort of correcting the misinformed posts in the thread can be extremely tedious. Dealing with the look at my snake threads and such isnt that much of a chore, although I am slightly annoyed when the threads of substance are burried under the barrage.... but this is the way of the forum, and needs to be accepted.

Well actually, I think the Staff of every forum have the right to voice their opinion. But as a staff member, there are certain ways to conduct oneself. Take a look at how Slateman responded to the same post... he responed in a manner in which a staff member should respond. I know full well the responsibilities of a moderator, and I know how difficult it can be at times.... but there is and always will be a level of conduct that a staff member should uphold.

It's nice to see you still love me Greebo:(
I do my best but I'm not perfect - and that's life when things don't go to plan - what can I do? If you have a idea on how I can get everything to run smoothly - PM me please I'd love to hear what you have in mind.

I try and make enclosures at a good price so everyone can afford a nice enclosure - I don't make alot from this so why do I keep doing it and freight companys etc or some times I don't get it right.

So this makes me a bad guy then Greebo in your eyes.

It is really not nice to twist somebody post to this.
Grebo newer said that you are bad guy.
he simply said that you have no reason to complain that you are badly done by moderators.
I agree with him fully. We always defended you in past when you had problems, and you have lot of them in past.

No wander after reading this post.

People that take GUESSES at answers!
ive seen it many times someone asks a question and some people take a guess at the answer and its wrong!! i'd hate to imagine how many people have taken these answers on and made their herps worse for taking on board these wrong guessed answers!

I agree, I have no problem with the done to death questions - as long as they are learning.
It is the instant "experts" who have just got their first snake/beardie whatever, answering other new people's questions incorrectly - that is far more damaging :shock:
Then they jump down experienced people's throats when they give correct advise and point out that they are in fact incorrect.
A thread involving geckodan comes to mind for one - he would be one of the most knowledgeable people on here yet noobs nay-say him lol :rolleyes:

The veterans forum is only new Rebecca i am sure with time it will be a wealth of information Like many other areas here. :D

I realise its a new forum, but there are still only 6 threads on it. And aside from one new post (today) the posts were all started more than two weeks ago.

I'm big on research, I have read alot more threads than I have posted. I think having a dedicated forum to veterans will be a great reference once all 'Ye Olde Wind Breakers' start posting ( [lol] and I am not name calling.... its a direct quote)!

I realise its a new forum, but there are still only 6 threads on it. And aside from one new post (today) the posts were all started more than two weeks ago.

I'm big on research, I have read alot more threads than I have posted. I think having a dedicated forum to veterans will be a great reference once all 'Ye Olde Wind Breakers' start posting ( [lol] and I am not name calling.... its a direct quote)!
LOL :lol::lol:

No Southside Morelia,
if you take your own advice, and read the original post on this thread, the subject is lack of experienced herps and overabundance of 'noobs'. My comment wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, I think that knowledge and experience is only good if and when it's passed on to those who will at least take it and apply to there own situation often with modifications/adaptations. In other words experiment. I won't be patronising and condescending like you were to me. 40 years ago when I first started, all I could do was ask lots of questions. When we pay a lot of money for something we love, and have waited a long time for, we a paranoid about doing something wrong! I suggest you spend the next lot of money, not on a herp, but on some perspective.

Well that was a good cleansing little family debate eh ? :)

And I guess the answer to "what's happening to APS" is that there's a whole lotta people
that log on to it and have an opinion & essentially care about it........group hug :)

Well that was a good cleansing little family debate eh ? :)

And I guess the answer to "what's happening to APS" is that there's a whole lotta people
that log on to it and have an opinion & essentially care about it........group hug :)

Agreed, I know i have taken alot out of this little debate.

No problem at all ;)

See, that's an example Boa didn't post for awhile...but he couldn't stay away...LOL
My oportunity to apologise to you from a comment from me on another US site, for letting a sly shot away once... I now know what you fely by that!
Sorry Bud...:oops:

Thats cool.. I've copped a bit myself ;) don't let it deter you from the intelligent, experienced, nice members :p

so then you unknowingly walk into the ambush phase... you answer the question, giving the information you have put years into gaining, for no benefit of your own, only to be swamped by posts of mis-information from dozens of users who saw a pic of a reptile once, and are in the process of deciding to get one of there own. The person whom originally asked the question, then goes with the majority and ingores the few morsels of correct information in favour of the masses.... and the circle perpetuates itself.

Exactly. The amount of times you see solid advice being passed over for something that's just plain rubbish is amazing.

Person 1 says, my snake keeps getting out of it's cage, help?!

Person 2 says, try checking for any gaps.

Person 3 says don't worry mate, leave out a bowl of milk and she'll be apples. The snake will always come back as they're attracted to the scent of milk.

Person 2 says....mate....:-|

Person 1 says I've checked athe enclosure over and over again. The only gaps there are half an inch maximum and the snake's three quarters of an inch in diameter...can't be getting out that way!

Person 2 says are you kidding?

Person 3 says ignore this unit who can't use proper punctuation and listen to me. I've made 40,000 posts and I've had one chldren's python for 6 months.

At which point person 4 pipes up because he wants person3 to buy a snake off him, person 5 had a fight once with person 2 over the price of eggs and can't let go, and person 6 who hasn't got a clue but can say baa with the best of them all join in a lovely chorus of obviously there's no problem with the cage we've never clapped eyes on, and everyone knows snakes love milk.

Person 1 then thanks all for their experience except for person 2 as obviously they're just feeling argumentative and want to buck the system, and places a dish of milk next to the open cage door in case the snake wanders out during the night again.

Hahaha Kersten, you're so young to be so cynical.
Oh wait, that probably really happened :red:

Yep, been there too itbites.. this has nothing on the big picture. ;) It is nice to see that there are still some grown ups amongst us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back