Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedBellied

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who has just got his permit and is very keen to get a snake.
I was just wondering on what peoples thoughts were if he should start of with a hatchling or go for an adult first?

Much appreciated.

Hatchling first.
You could just about start with anything, as long as your comfortable with them, Carpet python's are good, but the Coastals are the best Carpet's to start off with. Antaresia's are good as well, but their some what smaller, Antaresia Childreni get 75-90cm.
Antaresia Maculosa get 90cm-1.5m(average 1m)
Antaresia Stimsoni get to 75cm-1m(average 90cm).

Some people get Jungles first, but they can be snappy.
Coastal carpets can get to 14ft but an average of 8ft.
Jungles get 4.5ft-8ft, but an average of 6ft.
Murray darling carpets aren't to bad either, from what i've heard.

A water Python hatchling would be a nice start. Not expensive, more active and less common than a carpet python. Feeds on pinky rats from new and should be a nice size (8ft) and be 20 odd years of enjoyment. But thats just me.

Hatchling first.
You could just about start with anything, as long as your comfortable with them, Carpet python's are good, but the Coastals are the best Carpet's to start off with. Antaresia's are good as well, but their some what smaller, Antaresia Childreni get 75-90cm.
Antaresia Maculosa get 90cm-1.5m(average 1m)
Antaresia Stimsoni get to 75cm-1m(average 90cm).

Some people get Jungles first, but they can be snappy.
Coastal carpets can get to 14ft but an average of 8ft.
Jungles get 4.5ft-8ft, but an average of 6ft.
Murray darling carpets aren't to bad either, from what i've heard.

Also take all advice with a grain of salt. These are peronal opinions. I would say carpets are the best with MD at the top of the list.

Depends

I have a MD hatchie and all I want is for her to grow. It is my snake and my wife holds her more than I do. I don't sit still for very long and it is hard to move around (doing stuff not just walking) with a hatchie on board. They are so light you often loose track of where they are. My next one will be an adult that I can drape around myself, but I just like big snakes and many have massive life spans so it's not like it will die of old age in a hurry. Plus I am assuming adults are likely to feed better than some new hatchies.

Do your research, it;s good you have thought about it. I don;t know about other states but alot of shops here are selling adult snakes at the moment. When I got my MD I did not know so many adults could be available.

I have a friend who has just got his permit and is very keen to get a snake.
I was just wondering on what peoples thoughts were if he should start of with a hatchling or go for an adult first?

Much appreciated.

I would sugest going with a hatchie of a python that your friend likes
the look of! Having said that be a little wary of jungles and waters as
some of these can be a bit of a handful at times, [snappy].
I see you are in Point Cook, if thats the Victorian one get yourselves
up to Animal Attraction, Elm Park Drive Hoppers Crossing and see
Matt, He has a lot of different hatchies in at the moment and will give you
very sound advice

I would go for a hatchling myself because that way you can raise the snake yourself. Also for a beginner it's much less intimidating when a hatchling tries to bite than an adult.

Also take all advice with a grain of salt. These are peronal opinions. I would say carpets are the best with MD at the top of the list.

That is right. It is all opinion but it seems the carpets, the Murray Darlings in particular seem to be popular because they are usually quiet & easy feeders.

However, the final decision is completely up to you. It is your confidence that will determine whether or not you have made the right choice.

As others have said , get a hatchling ....but make sure it is feeding very well first , nothing worse for a new keeper than a hatchling that wont eat .
You will get good and bad handlers in all species , but generally most snakes are fine , get what you like the look of .

Yups i agree to start with a hatchling but make sure they have had a couple of sheds n feeds and if possible to request from the seller their shedding or feeding history.
And i somehow agree that the Coastals are more placid, relax n 'user-friendly' compared to my Darwins..They are so jumpy n bitey! (look at pic) And if u have them when their small, u kind of know their body language,character,attitude from daily observations so thats a plus point..

Attachments

• Phoenix n Misty.jpg
    Phoenix n Misty.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 73
ahh i like the BHP, that was my first snake. He is not snappy(excluding feed times) and is an exceptional handler, my personal choice thought may not be the best for everyone else.

yea mate my best advice would be get one you like the look of and do research first, my first snake i was looking at jungles but wanted an easier handling snake...settled for Bredli.

On the first day was a lil snappy but has been the best lil boy ever since, curious at everything around the house and wont let me put him down :)

Also take into consideration if you will have the room to house it once it is full grown, if you don't have a great deal of space Antaresia are great!

I'd personally suggest, based on my (limited) experience, aspidites for first snakes. Generally good natured and once they've started eating, they're bloody machines, so you're unlikely to have issues with feeding.

I would have to agree, A MD would be the best for a first carpet, really its up to you. Ask yourself what you feel comfortable with. In my opinion(and maybe a few others are with me on this one) any snake is a good snake at first.

I really dont think it matters what you get first, because soon enough your going have a dozen more anyway! :D

don't mess around just get a hathling......... they don't hurt as much when they bite you........ trust me i no:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back