Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowfoxpika2

Reaction score
Hello my name is Pippa,
I have been wanting to get a snake sence I was around 10 haha almost 6 years on I finally have my mums permission to get one! (She didnt like the idea of a snake much but I finally got her to agree =P).
I have a bearded dragon so I have had some experiance with Reptiles and know they cost alot but I have a stable job earning enought to supply food for the lizard and alot left over for another amazing reptile. And I had my hopes for the snake.
I know the heating and tank requirements for most snakes and I would have the money to pay for it as well I have $1000 saved up for this, for buying the snake and taking care of it.
Now my Question is what type of snake is a good place to start? I was told a childrens python was a good place to start for they are known as a good starter snake. But by childrens python I mean Antaresia speices really so like Pygmy or Stimsons or maybe a spotted or just a childrens haha
but is there any other good snakes to start with? or should I just get one of those?
Also what age should I by one? I want a hatchling just so I can handle it alot so it gets used to being held alot I dont want a biting snake because I have small children around (m siblings) and Im a chicken who would have a spaz attack if biten all the time.
I know it changes from snake to snake so I was thinking maybe buying an older snake that is known it doesnt bite. But I still want a baby I get more attached if I raise them from when they are young and I like the "loved" kind of feel from animals that know you well.

So forum you should know a good lot of info on snakes please I would really like your help <3

thanks for reading
~Pippa B-H

hey there, i recon a spotted or childrens like what u said, but i would also like to suggest a black headed python, they look really cool and are good pets, and bout the bitting and snapping, its luck of the draw, almost all pythons will be snappy as babys, but could grow up to be the most placid, i have a spotted and a costal atm, and they are great, bit snappy as babys, but now sub adults, they are placid as. goodluck with ur snake choosing, let us know how u go, cheers Deejay

Antaresia, Womas, and Jungles are some of the smaller pythons if thats what your after, just remember that any snake can be aggressive and if thats going to be a problem get a snake thats a few months old at least and is calm to handle

Depends on max size you are after. If you only want them around 1.0-1.2 metres max, then go for a childrens or spotted, if about 1.5 metres then go for a woma or stimson, or if you really want to go bigger, then go for a coastal. Research them all and make the best choice for you and your family.
So far I have a Spotted and a Childrens Python, both have been awesome as pets. I am getting a Stimson soon, and can't wait, beautiful snake.
Juveniles all bite as some stage but you can hardly feel it.
I am only a novice, but this site is full of very educated keepers/breeders...all the answers are here, failing that try Mr Google.
Good luck! Let us all know what you end up getting.
Pic of my Spotted attached.Krueger.jpg

Well Im looking for maybe a smaller type of snake 1.5 m at tops
And I love the patterns of Stimson's so thats a high maybe if not I would go for the spotted I think
I still like markings on Pygmy tho

Ah okay so the older they are the less snappy? So would you think I by one and raise it or by a well handled one?

okay so by an older snake you say? cool thanks

Best snake to start with,without doubt, would be one I have bred.I have some nice little spotteds here and am in Sydney.

Well I started with a jungle, never bitten me yet .but all comes down to room I guess maybe go with a spotted?.

i would recommend a Stimson. pretty much the same as a children's but such a bigger variety of patterns. look up pillbara and gammons stimpsons. they generally have a great temperament. only thing is to make sure they are feeding well or get a yearling as in my experience they can be a fiddily when very young to get feeding well compared to the aspidites and carpets. other than that you shouldnt have a problem. have fun with your new pet it will be very rewarding

Best starter snakes is a snake you really like the look of, this will prevent you from being bored with it and always try your best to look after your pride and joy... The rest of the struff such as husbandry and cost are all just secondary. If you really like the snake you will do the appropriate husbandry research... If you really love the snake you will pay all the cost to keep it healthy...

Depends on max size you are after. If you only want them around 1.0-1.2 metres max, then go for a childrens or spotted, if about 1.5 metres then go for a woma or stimson, or if you really want to go bigger, then go for a coastal. Research them all and make the best choice for you and your family.
So far I have a Spotted and a Childrens Python, both have been awesome as pets. I am getting a Stimson soon, and can't wait, beautiful snake.
Juveniles all bite as some stage but you can hardly feel it.
I am only a novice, but this site is full of very educated keepers/breeders...all the answers are here, failing that try Mr Google.
Good luck! Let us all know what you end up getting.
Pic of my Spotted attached.View attachment 184734

Mate you have the Stimsons and Spotteds size around the wrong way!
Stimmies range on average between 800mm-1000mm. spotteds on the other hand can get out to 1.5m but usually 1000mm- 1200mm!

womas are pretty cool they are really enthusiastic about feed time, good to watch. ive got a blonde spotted they are pretty cool too ive never been bitten but it strikes with it's mouth closed, its an all talk snake. yeah one of them?

womas are pretty cool they are really enthusiastic about feed time, good to watch. ive got a blonde spotted they are pretty cool too ive never been bitten but it strikes with it's mouth closed, its an all talk snake. yeah one of them?
Yeah Woma dont really appel to me they dont look as nice as the others but are amazing to watch that is true

Yeah Woma dont really appel to me they dont look as nice as the others but are amazing to watch that is true

All depends on which types of snake you find visually appealing, thats a good starter snake, with a nice temperament and good feeding response. Personally when i get older i wouldn't mind a woma, seem like nice snakes in general (apart from feeding time :D ).

carpet or diamond

i wouldn't go for a childrens python nor a stimpsons python. they can be a bit boring anf moody,
i'd recoment a carpet python or a diamond python as they tame down really quick, and have great personalities, also they are not costly.

When I was allowed to get my snake I wanted to buy the 1st one that was available, I ended up with a very nice childrens python after waiting and waiting..(although I was tempted by different ones that came up for sale). I would advise to wait and see what comes up you will be thankful that you did because you are likely to get one amazing python that will pop up out of no where.

When I was allowed to get my snake I wanted to buy the 1st one that was available, I ended up with a very nice childrens python after waiting and waiting..(although I was tempted by different ones that came up for sale). I would advise to wait and see what comes up you will be thankful that you did because you are likely to get one amazing python that will pop up out of no where.

haha thats what my mum said too! I will keep waiting for a good bunch to pop up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back