Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andyscott

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
1st of all, this thread hasnt been done to upset people and point fingers, Its in no way nasty. Its just a question.

This is a reptile forum, Its here for the people who share this wonderful passion of keeping reptiles to interact.
Its also here to assist new commers, helping them keep and raise healthy and happy animals.

If by chance, an experienced keeper sees a thread asking for help and knows how to help, isnt it better to just answer the question and not say do a search?
Im seeing more and more posts, telling people to do a search. Why?
IMO isnt it better for the well being of all (animals and new keepers) to just share your experience and knowledge.
After all isnt that what AP&S is all about?

On a positive note, Ive seen members do a search and then post the link, I applaud that and think its fantastic. There are a lot a outstanding people on here.
Since Ive become a member, Ive made some great contacts and some great friends, through helping and being helped.

Ive been keeping reptiles for over 25 years and would have loved to have access to a forum like this, when I started out. Even after all those years of hands on experience, I still learn new things reading through the threads.

There just appears to be a high and mighty attitude with a handful of members. So to those that just refuse to help out and share your knowledge.
Why are you a member?

im a member coz jasta was a lot different to what i thought my first snake would be like :p hahaha.
and hes still a wierdo now.
i know he is plotting against me. hes like brain from that pinky and the brain cartoon..

*hums*
oh and im still learning lots of different things :) i agree with the asking questions thing tho.. ppl either flame ya or tell ya to search it if you ask nething so i keep asking questions i need to know to PM's etc.

I'll get may first snakes (diamond hatchlings in March 09.In the interim I have a lot to gain from the forums.

Excellent question Andyscott. Also I find the search function rather useless at times. For example try searching BHP or MD and you get - Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

To answer your question I joined to have access to the many of years of knowledege from experienced herp keepers.

I am a animal addict... being able to share ,learn ,grow ...all in the constant understanding & desire to obtain as much information as possible

all of the aspects intrigue me...from copulation...to hatching...to cleaning & feeding
also seeing others opinions & how they come to their conclusions
whether it be right or wrong.....to see how they percieve information given

its all about feedback..a reponse to something that is equally needed...

this forum offers me a insight to others opinions
& being able to make fiends is absolute bonus!

I work at a pet store and sell reptiles, like to know more about them and what REAL people think of them, personality, good feeders etc...also want to get one of my own one day and know all I can before getting one.

It can become tiring every time you log on the same dozen or so questions are asked repetitively, however if people take the time to type "search" they could as easily point out a thread with the relavent information..

I became a member, because i wanted to know alot more about my snakes that i diddnt already know. and since iv become a member i have found so much information that i never new before. The only thing i dont like about this site, is that were ment to be helping people right...? When someone asked a question and another person answer it, that person may say something wrong, But instead of telling that person, you shouldnt do this, that or whatever, this is better for you snake if you do this. People are just being dam right rude to other members about it. Were all here to help one another to learn new things and point out the wrongs and the rights on keeping healthy beautiful reptiles.

I joined the forum when I was planning to get my first python. :D I wanted to learn as much as I could.

I use the search and Wiki, but as others have said, sometimes you just can't find an answer to your specific enquiry :? (due to wording or not exactly like your situation). When you have a problem and you're stressed out, the last thing you want to do is trudge through numerous threads in an attempt to find your answer and possibly end up not finding it. Its better to ask for advice from others who may have been through the same situation. Like everything in life, you have to separate the 'gold' from the 'dross'. :rolleyes:

Some people have said that they don't like the same questions being repeated...simple answer, move on, don't click on them :lol:. Let people ask. If it helps them and their herps, great! Likewise, some members think they are above others, especially newbies and don't hesitate to tell them so. This is not necessary and may actually end up turning people away from asking questions and learning.:x (Oh boy...Here come the flamers..:rolleyes: :lol:)

On a positive note...I joined the site because I like being able to connect with other reptile keepers, whether it be to ask a question or to talk socially. :D

Btw...Great thread andyscott, it will get people thinking!

WHen i joined the site, i was clueless. I wanted a BHP and thought that talking to real people than reading a book was a better idea. So i joined and asked all those dumb questions as you do.
And This was the first -ever- forum i joined, so i had no idea how to do ANYTHING, let alone search for the topic, and even if i did know that, it took me months to even realize what BHP, GTS, GTP, GTF, RBBS etc etc was abbreviated for.....
I love the site as you can directly contact members who already own the type of snake your looking to buy, they can give advice, and best of all there are a extensive collection of photos of each species scattered through the threads, which is brilliant, dont have to squint at those tiny piks in "the complete guide to REPTILES in australia" to have a good look at all the different colours and characteristics.

Also, its a brilliant site for linking members up with the desired animals, with the FOR SALE section. When i first got my licence i had no idea how to find breeders. Be so much easier if they were in the Yellow Pages...Hehe

Why are you a member?
Same reason as most on here ie: to interact with others that share the same hobby / passion as myself.
Isnt it better to just answer the question and not say do a search? Why?
In my opinion either answer the question to the best of your knowledge or do a search for that member and post them the link, otherwise its probably better not to bother posting (slightly unfriendly) replies like 'do a search'

If its a new member and you can usually tell by their join date and number of posts... send them a private PM and let them know there is a search facility available on here as they may not even know this.

At some stage we all need some advice and help from other people that may have a little more experience in certain areas and when we do we all like a nice polite, quick and informative response.. so (imo) its better to treat others the same way as we like to be treated ourselves.

we were all newbies at some stage and no matter how long you've been keeping herps or how experienced you are, there's always something new to learn. :D

Ive had reptiles since I was the age of 13 so being able to come in here when I need advice from other herpers is a good thing, thats why I am a member of this site.

Its amazing 128 people have look at this thread so far but only 10 of us have replied to it. We all need to talk to each other with respect as Colin said, "we were all newbies at one stage". So instead of writing back rude comments help the people out that may have gotten it wrong.

I joined through the advice of a friend who also keeps reps.

I was desperate for a snake but really had no idea where to begin or what sort to get. I've learnt a lot from here and now I have my Kendra and she is very happy and healthy:D

i didnt reply cos i look up links and help people,..i thought the thread was more aimed at those that wanna be nasty,..... :p

As do i, i just looked up a link for a fella who's got a problem with his boa. Thats all it is help as you would want to be helped.

I joined to learn as much as I can, and now I have some knowledge I try to share where possible. I agree nasty comments are unnessesary (sp,) and should be left off.

i know, i was thinking blister disease till i read that very interesting link, actually, i would have suggested that if it didnt say they seem to be immune! :)

to add to my previous answer, i like the interaction with other people who share the interest, i dont wanna bore the hell out my poor friends and family. :)

Last edited:
i like the interaction with other people who share the interest, i dont wanna bore the hell out my poor friends and family. :)

Yeah, its great being able to talk to people who don't think you're crazy or warped because you keep a snake!!! lol :rolleyes: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back