Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Striker

Reaction score
Too cool my diamonds over winter what do others think? Just turn everything off so they have no heating at all (after they've digested their last meal of course). I live the same region as them so it's not freezing here. Or turn the basking light on for some short periods during the day.

I've read up on it from lots of different sources and been advised of both options. However I remain undecided.

They still need heat, just for shorter periods.

I heat mine for about 4 hours a day ( 30 - 33'C basking spot ) - but then just turn the heat off during the night.

Thanks for your help.

Here is a link that recommends no heat.

http://sthcoastherpsociety.bizland.com/diamondpaper.chtml

I'm not suggesting anyone is right or wrong. I just thought this was an interesting read and want to hunt down some more opinions and arguments for all methods.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the 4 hours bask a day.

Please do not use anything of this guys methods, He is a dead set goose!
Vixen and Mrbredli are right in their method..

Listen to you mob! I dont know what winter is anymore. 18o is trench coat and beanie weather for us. (and it can reach 12 inland!) That's why we have Darwins and a bhp (locals)

I just took 3 day's leave to do the Finnis River swamps before the water drains away. More birds, fish and reps (including a lot that dwarf the boat we're in) than most people see in a lifetime.

And no jumpers or flanelette shirts, or hoodies.

Just beer,beauty and mozzies!

Mine are outside in Melbourne and are out any day in winter when there is the slightest amount of sun. If you've got somewhere outside I'd keep them there all year round...no extra heat, but make sure hey can bask if they want to. Inside I think a few hours under a lamp per day would be OK, but I wouldn't make it a particularly hot spot. Mine have been outside without any supplementary heat for 5 years or so. I know people who have seen them out in the wild in August in overcast and rainy conditions. They love it cool!

Mine are outside in Melbourne and are out any day in winter when there is the slightest amount of sun. If you've got somewhere outside I'd keep them there all year round...no extra heat, but make sure hey can bask if they want to. Inside I think a few hours under a lamp per day would be OK, but I wouldn't make it a particularly hot spot. Mine have been outside without any supplementary heat for 5 years or so. I know people who have seen them out in the wild in August in overcast and rainy conditions. They love it cool!

All winter with no heat in Melb? What sort of hides do they have? What months do they feed, when do you stop feeding? Are you ever concerned it is too cold? Sorry for all the questions but I am not sure what to do with mine, where I live is colder than their natural temps and I'm a little concerned about turning down the heat and it being too cold.

Serpenttongue would you mind if I PM'd you with some questions in the near future. You have a great reputation with diamond care.

All winter with no heat in Melb? What sort of hides do they have? What months do they feed, when do you stop feeding? Are you ever concerned it is too cold? Sorry for all the questions but I am not sure what to do with mine, where I live is colder than their natural temps and I'm a little concerned about turning down the heat and it being too cold.

Yes ever since they've been outside (I have a male and two females) they have had no heating at all. They have a large polystyrene hide box but rarely use it. They either curl up on the floor of the aviary or elevated on a branch. I'd say that they use the hide box fewer than 10 days over winter, but use it regularly in summer. Anything over about 25 degrees and they disappear.

Typically they emerge from being coiled up at night in a corner somewhere, find a sunny spot and bask. In summer or warm days, basking rarely goes on for more than a couple of hours. They then seek a shady spot until late afternoon-early evening when they become active again.

I feed until around now (all three fed last weekend) and I'll start to feed them again in late August - early September when we get a warm spell. I'm not too concerned about this. Do you think a Diamond thinks to itself "I'd better pass up that bandicoot, its getting cooler and I might end up with a guts ache and die." You'd be surprised how warm they can get with just a little basking so I think they can metabolise meals without too much concern in cooler weather.

My larger female bred two years ago, laying 16 eggs.

They are in an aviary that faces east, with a roof that only covers 2/3 of the aviary so they can always find a basing position....they are active constantly thermoregulating. I know several keepers who run with variants on this theme, a couple run supplementary basking lights some don't. Diamond Pythons extend as far south as East Gippsland in Victoria where the climate is marginally milder than Melbourne, but not much. Some years would see colder, longer winters than others. I am absolutely convinced that this is the way to keep Diamonds - time will tell.

I'd be surprised if other keepers who keep their Diamonds outside would have experiences too different to mine. By the way a friend of mine kept a Port Mac intergrade diamond/carpet this way for many years in Melbourne around 30 years ago! :)

Here's some pics of my animals.

Male_diamond.jpg

Female_diamond_1.jpg

Female_diamond_2.jpg

Last edited:
If u supply no heat they will almost certainly get canker!

Not if provided with opportunities to naturally thermoregulate, with plenty of opportunities to get up off the substrate (branches and platforms for perching) and lots of DRY resting places. I'd be interested in knowing how many people here keep Diamonds outside and have them thrive. There's far more people lose Diamonds by trying to keep them like tropical pythons in my experience (metabolic "burn out" probably). By the way I always keep a large tub of water in the aviary...a favourite spot when it gets ery hot. On very hot days (>35) I also hose the enclosure down to keep them cool.

I want to put mine outside. I think it's the way to go for this particular snake.

Not if provided with opportunities to naturally thermoregulate, with plenty of opportunities to get up off the substrate (branches and platforms for perching) and lots of DRY resting places. I'd be interested in knowing how many people here keep Diamonds outside and have them thrive. There's far more people lose Diamonds by trying to keep them like tropical pythons in my experience (metabolic "burn out" probably). By the way I always keep a large tub of water in the aviary...a favourite spot when it gets ery hot. On very hot days (>35) I also hose the enclosure down to keep them cool.

The above is correct, your supposed to mimic its natural habitat, it's from south eastern Australia not tropical qld.
They ate also a black snake, this means they are a basking type and use this ability to quickly and efficiently gather warmth,
Constant heating all year round is not good. I've never used heat mats for diamonds.
A nice infra red basking spot with variable temps in their enclosures is a must as these guys like to choose there own comfort-ability

Being out side is supplying them with a heat source.. The sun.
I live in Sydney and kept diamonds out side for about 4yrs.. Its not as easy as everyone says, just cause u live where they are from. Mine would bask in every bit of winter sun, I had a big aviary with foam box hides, a large mound of straw with hollow logs going thru it and hollow logs up high, and a few other hides at different levels yet I still got canker one year..
In the wild they could be in a decaying log that is producing a little heat, the reason they start turning up in houses this time of year is cause there looking for somewhere warmer! I've bought mine back in side for now... It's just easyer in every respect! I do how ever want to try a different style out side again one year.

But like said above, 4 to 6hrs of basking light is the go I think, has worked inside for me

Last edited:
I would like to keep diamonds outside but think it would be harder than it sounds. I beleive it would be quite difficult to provide them with everything they need to cover every possible weather situation and ensure their wellbeing. Say for example we get a prolonged spell of really nasty weather, driving rain, windy, and icy cold. Can we really provide them with an environment to escape these conditions? Is the snake going to burrow down in the substrate under a log and ride it out in the damp, cold conditions or climb into a higher, dryer hide but where the wind is howling through preventing the snake from maintaining some warmth and risking an RI.
I love the idea of an avairy full of beautiful diamonds sunning themselves on a warm winter day but until I learn more about their wild habits i.e. how they escape extreme weather, both cold and hot, I`ll be keeping mine inside and doing the best I can.

Besides, the wife reckons avairies are strictly for birds!

Besides, the wife reckons avairies are strictly for birds!

You could get an aviary for your diamonds and put birds in it as well to appease your wife. It might shorten their life expectancy somewhat though.:D

fl 047 (Small).jpg
Mine are outside all year.
I use a hotbox and keep the cold wind out.
I see them out in winter nearly everyday.

You could get an aviary for your diamonds and put birds in it as well to appease your wife. It might shorten their life expectancy somewhat though.:D

Yeah, I`ve got a great spot picked out and all. Morning sun would come streaming straight into the avairy, Hot afternoon sun would be sheltered from a big clump of bamboo thats in the neighbours yard. Maybe I could get some of those fake birds they sell in cheap shops and a CD of bird noises!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back