Every one please read this!!! (sick/dying snakes)!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That would be good though i dont see it happening anytime soon. I personally think that it should be the buyers responsibility to get it vet checked and pay for the costs.

mate i think your tune will change drastically if anything like this happened to you, how would you like to pay hundreds of dollars on a python to have it either die or have to fork out MORE MONEY on vet consultation, getting rid of mites and/or worms, antibiotics etc would probably add up to a fair ammount. Why should the buyer have to suffer from some loser selling sick pythons. fair enough if on its label it has "warning! - i am only out to make a quick buck these snakes will most likely be infected by some sort of disease/illness" now that wouldnt be false advertising and the buyer would be aware. can someone PM me this retards pet shop name so i know to never buy anything from them.

mate i think your tune will change drastically if anything like this happened to you, how would you like to pay hundreds of dollars on a python to have it either die or have to fork out MORE MONEY on vet consultation, getting rid of mites and/or worms, antibiotics etc would probably add up to a fair ammount. Why should the buyer have to suffer from some loser selling sick pythons. fair enough if on its label it has "warning! - i am only out to make a quick buck these snakes will most likely be infected by some sort of disease/illness" now that wouldnt be false advertising and the buyer would be aware. can someone PM me this retards pet shop name so i know to never buy anything from them.

I totally agree. Its unfortunate that the trade in reptiles isn't regulated very strictly. I really feel for people who are ripped off by unscrupulous sellers who are only out to get their money.
This is why I think that the positive feedback section on this forum is so important - especially for people who are new to the hobby. If you're an honest, reputable seller then the amount of positive feedback you get from people should speak for itself.

So i would take it up with him instead of sooking on a public forum giving the store a bad name.
She isn't naming names... ;)

Besides..if they are dodgy....they're doing it to themselves. They don't need other people to make matters worse.

I actually think the government should make it law that all licensed reptiles from a business come with a vet check certificate and have been wormed.

This would cut back on these types of incidents.

Glad to hear your snake is alive and kicking, sadly many of us here have not had that luxury!

What a load of crap!

If a captive bred snake, has been bred from captive bred parents who have been fed quality rats/mice with no skinks or outside sources, and has not been in contact with any snakes that have worms.... there shouldn't BE ANY WORMS!

I'm glad you're not making decisions for the government.

10 snakes is hardly a epidemic. A large number of the snakes he sell's are not bred by him and seem to be the ones that have been infested in worms. So i would take it up with him instead of sooking on a public forum giving the store a bad name.

Dont they already have a bad name? :lol:

What a load of crap!

If a captive bred snake, has been bred from captive bred parents who have been fed quality rats/mice with no skinks or outside sources, and has not been in contact with any snakes that have worms.... there shouldn't BE ANY WORMS!

I'm glad you're not making decisions for the government.

maybe you've hit on someting there ARE THEY CAPTIVE BREED?????

Well then if the hobby needs improving then it should be compulsary to any serious buyers to have a vet check to the snake you are interested in.
I am in no way connected to this seller apart from one snake i have bought from him, which is still alive and kicking by the way touch wood.

It's not up to a "buyer" to have a cat or dog vet checked if they buy it from a SHOP or BREEDER what makes reptile breeders so special?:shock: They brought these laws in because of rouge traders in the cat and dog trade, so why not extend it to all pets sold. They would add the small cost on the the buyer anyway. Breeders pay $10-15 each per litter to have a injection and health check done.The same thing would cost me $65 from my local vet.

I'm just a newbie on snakes but I used to breed Alaskan Malamutes and my reputation was my goal and I bred very nice and successful winning dogs and never sold one that wasn't up to the show ring if I didn't think it was good enough it went as a pet only and all my animals were wormed and vacinated and yes it is the responsibility of the seller if he has any pride in what de does to be honest.

I would be happy to pay that little bit extra knowing the animal has been wormed and given the all clear form a vet.

This would help to create a more ethical wildlife industry.

I realy wanted to start this thread to warn every one that there is a large suplier out there selling sick and worm infested snakes!!! They are mostly young ones and mainly carpets.
This person is a big seller and provides for alot of petshop in VIC but also deals with interstate as well!!!!
I am starting this thread for the best intrests of the poor animals and people.

I was currently a victim of this as i brought a young townville wich died withing 3 weeks.

The same thing happend to horseplay on here and it seems to be turning into an epidemic.

I am not starting this thread to start fights i just want to get it out there that this is happening!

kind regards
laura

P.S: RIP Mercedes!!!!

SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS:oops:
PLEASE REPORT IT TO YOUR LICENCE PROVIDER SO THEY CAN INVESTIGATE IT FOR YOU

get a life

get a life people that dealer sells hundreds of snake and buys hundreds off other wholesalers you cant worm every snake that you buy only the ones that are suss when you deal in that many some will die its not a perfect world it happens to all dealers and breeders so get over it and stop bad mouthing and move on cheers.

Last edited:
Well then if the hobby needs improving then it should be compulsary to any serious buyers to have a vet check to the snake you are interested in.
I am in no way connected to this seller apart from one snake i have bought from him, which is still alive and kicking by the way touch wood.

Why should it be the buyers responsibility to get a vet check on the one they are interested in - but not yet bought - only to find it has worms etc? That would mean the buyer would have to pay to vet check every one after that they are interested in until they find a healthy one! I mean come on! Pets are suppose to be sold in a known healthy and good condition! And if they dont end up being, some form of reimbursement to the buyer is to be in order. Also if that was the case, who says the seller would let them take the pet to a vet in the first place without yet purchasing it? The potential could cut a runner with the animal... The seller wouldn't know!

IMO It should be the seller's responsibility to make sure their animals are healthy, not only to make sure the customer gets a healthy animal, but in return, that the seller gets a good reputation for selling quality healthy animals! It isnt a one way street there Dan, it benefits both parties here... the seller gets the good reputation, money from the sale and more sales from the word of mouth aspect... and the buyer gets the animal they want in good health! And if the seller has to fork out for the vet checks, really it still works out cheaper i.e. no refunds, returns, reimbursements, more sales, more customers...etc etc... ponder that thought for a while hey Dan? ;) Really its in the sellers best interests to do the check when you think about it...

I think its very sad, that this person can be selling animals like this... I also totally agree with "naming and shaming" these sorts of people, so therefore fully back this thread...

Also, it would be good if our herps came with a vet check, but I dont see it happening in the immediate future, but to Tatelina, worms are not the only problems that C/B animals can have, and regardless of whether they were in contact with "outside food sources" can still contract illnesses by poor hygiene, conditions and/or if the handler doesnt have strict hygiene practicesin place when cleaning out enclosures, especially where alot (in the case of pet shops/breeders etc) of animals of which some of them could also be W/C animals...

Regards,
Ash...

get a life people that dealer sells hundreds of snake and buys hundreds off other wholesalers you cant worm every snake that you buy only the ones that are suss when you deal in that many some will die its not a perfect world it happens to all dealers and breeders so get over it and stop bad mouthng and move on cheers.

No one is bad mouthing anyone,

People are simply stating the FACTS.

Why should it be the buyers responsibility to get a vet check on the one they are interested in...

I just relised that when my daughter was into horses WE had to vet check many before we brought one at our cost, but maybe that's because they were between $500-$3000:rolleyes:
I still think that the retailers/breeders have some responsibility to the public and to their stock and if theres a problem they should offer a replacement or to pay the costs of treatment;)

That would be good though i dont see it happening anytime soon. I personally think that it should be the buyers responsibility to get it vet checked and pay for the costs.
Be interesting the next time you buy a car, and the salesman tells you, "you have to get the roadworthy, and pay for anything that is needed if it failed it".

It is always the sellers responsibility to have there merchandise, weather it be an animal, car, or a 1kg of sugar, in a condition fit for sale.

get a life people that dealer sells hundreds of snake and buys hundreds off other wholesalers you cant worm every snake that you buy only the ones that are suss when you deal in that many some will die its not a perfect world it happens to all dealers and breeders so get over it and stop bad mouthing and move on cheers.

if he want's to be the biggest dealer in the free world, maybe he should spend some of his profits on the care of his stock and not blame everyone else that he buys from, saying that its their fault, they sold me those sick animals

It's not up to a "buyer" to have a cat or dog vet checked if they buy it from a SHOP or BREEDER what makes reptile breeders so special?:shock: They brought these laws in because of rouge traders in the cat and dog trade, so why not extend it to all pets sold. They would add the small cost on the the buyer anyway. Breeders pay $10-15 each per litter to have a injection and health check done.The same thing would cost me $65 from my local vet.

Yes but look at the name of the thread. We are talking about snakes not dogs and cats.

Yes it would suck if that happened to me but i would think it was my right to make sure the python i had bought was healthy and not ridden with mites and worms.

Why should it be the buyers responsibility to get a vet check on the one they are interested in - but not yet bought - only to find it has worms etc? That would mean the buyer would have to pay to vet check every one after that they are interested in until they find a healthy one! I mean come on! Pets are suppose to be sold in a known healthy and good condition! And if they dont end up being, some form of reimbursement to the buyer is to be in order. Also if that was the case, who says the seller would let them take the pet to a vet in the first place without yet purchasing it? The potential could cut a runner with the animal... The seller wouldn't know!

IMO It should be the seller's responsibility to make sure their animals are healthy, not only to make sure the customer gets a healthy animal, but in return, that the seller gets a good reputation for selling quality healthy animals! It isnt a one way street there Dan, it benefits both parties here... the seller gets the good reputation, money from the sale and more sales from the word of mouth aspect... and the buyer gets the animal they want in good health! And if the seller has to fork out for the vet checks, really it still works out cheaper i.e. no refunds, returns, reimbursements, more sales, more customers...etc etc... ponder that thought for a while hey Dan? ;) Really its in the sellers best interests to do the check when you think about it...

It isnt the sellers responsibility though to vet check there own animal. If the seller thinks the animal he/she is selling is in good health, but the buyer does not believe or trust them, then why would the buyer want to buy from a untrustworthy seller. Lesson here is to buy from someone you trust, though even they can sell sick animals sometimes aswell;)

There is no way of telling a snake has worms or internal parasites when buying it as they are inside the animal.

Thats right Dan,it was your right to make sure you were buying a healthy python, and no doubt you did, but it also the sellers right ,and obligation, to sell a healthy snake.
If he has had any complaints about worms he/she has sold wouldn't you think they would be rsponsible and worm ALL of thier snakes in stock. After all it isn't going to hurt the snake, and is going to be able to gaurenteee, his/her snakes are worm free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back