Every one please read this!!! (sick/dying snakes)!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would it be possible to develope a nationaly recognised data base for reputable breeders/dealers and I don't just mean the sort of thing that you join or buy your way into, but earn buy maintaining stringent hygiene and husbandry practices. Subject to random checks and independantly run.

Would it be possible to develope a nationaly recognised data base for reputable breeders/dealers and I don't just mean the sort of thing that you join or buy your way into, but earn buy maintaining stringent hygiene and husbandry practices. Subject to random checks and independantly run.

Not really... independantly run by who?? other herpers?? The herping community is so fickle about who they let see their collection. It's a good idea, but I can't see it happening in this industry.

I think its the FULL responsibility of the breeder to supply a healthy animal,after all thats what you pay for!!
Goodluck to anyone that has bought off this breeder.
cheers

Yes but look at the name of the thread. We are talking about snakes not dogs and cats.

So, your point being?

Yes it would suck if that happened to me but i would think it was my right to make sure the python i had bought was healthy and not ridden with mites and worms.

and you would get that with a vet check.

It isnt the sellers responsibility though to vet check there own animal. If the seller thinks the animal he/she is selling is in good health, but the buyer does not believe or trust them, then why would the buyer want to buy from a untrustworthy seller. Lesson here is to buy from someone you trust, though even they can sell sick animals sometimes aswell;)

sorry your wrong there, sellers of cats and dogs are required to provide you with a vet check, so why should it stop there. See what happens when people trust large retailers, you end up with a sick or dead animal.

SO THE LESSON IS DON'T BUY FROM SOMONE THAT YOU DON'T TRUST SO I WON'T BE BUYING FROM THEM THEN:shock:

Lesson here is to buy from someone you trust, though even they can sell sick animals sometimes aswell;)

What and do we have to wait till we get ripped off by them before we don't trust them, word of mouth is how most gain a good rep and bad rep people need to be warned of the risk when buying from someone who has sold quite a few sick animals

sorry your wrong there, sellers of cats and dogs are required to provide you with a vet check, so why should it stop there. See what happens when people trust large retailers, you end up with a sick or dead animal.

SO THE LESSON IS DON'T BUY FROM SOMONE THAT YOU DON'T TRUST SO I WON'T BE BUYING FROM THEM THEN:shock:

Well i have bought 2 dogs and 1 cat and have never received a vet check or whatever you are trying to get to. And i don't really understand anything you have said in any of your posts, so please try to make sense next time or i wont reply to your jumbled words.

Yet another reason pet shops shouldn't be allowed to deal in reptiles.

I have my breeding snakes checked for worms every year or so. Its no big deal. Costs $16 dollars. A full vet check containing an appointment and mouth inspection and general going over costs a whole whopping $40. All this through a leading, well known herp vet.

Over the next few years my snakes will be coming on the market, and will be ranging from Anteresia up to whatever.

Thanks for this thread, it is helping me to understand what people want. What I want is a good reputation for healthy, good looking snakes.

If you want quality, healthy animals with a vet certificate including worm check, it may cost an extra $50, but i'll be more than happy to provide.

Cheers.

Did you inspect the animal before you bought it...?

I would imagine, had anything been noticably wrong you would not have bought it...I suppose you need to consider, if you didnt see anything wrong it is probably not unreasonable for the seller not to have seen anything wrong...

...I certainly agree that if a seller passes on a sick animal to you some sort of recompense should be made...

If you did not inspect the animal, or noticed something wrong and still purchased it...well, it's your issue to sort out to some degree...

I have had one sick snake, he got sick somet time AFTER coming into my care (an RI which he has since recovered from), however, the person I purchased him from offered to pay my veterinary bills if I thought it was sold to me with the RI...of course I didnt, and as such turned down the offer...this is a fantastic example of a seller, however, I certainly dont think there was any obligation on him to make such a generous offer....

...just a little reassurance than many breeders out there ARE good and trustworthy...

Also, it has been said that this should teach people the lesson "DON'T BUY FROM SOMEONE YOU DON'T TRUST" - ...I must say, that if you willingly purchased an animal from someone you knew had a bad reputation or you did not trust, well, again, a lot more of the fault must be accepted by the buyer...

Yes but look at the name of the thread. We are talking about snakes not dogs and cats.

Yes it would suck if that happened to me but i would think it was my right to make sure the python i had bought was healthy and not ridden with mites and worms.

It isnt the sellers responsibility though to vet check there own animal. If the seller thinks the animal he/she is selling is in good health, but the buyer does not believe or trust them, then why would the buyer want to buy from a untrustworthy seller. Lesson here is to buy from someone you trust, though even they can sell sick animals sometimes aswell;)
How is it not the sellers resonsibility to provide an animal fit for sale? This seller has been told by horsesrule that the snake she purchsed was worm infested and thus died. Would that not make the seller obliged to check all other snakes coming for that supplier or from that clutch or that came into contact with the infected snake? The seller in question clearly did none of this and supplied a second worm infested snake AND supplied another to mis_gmh that was fatally infested. This seller is doing it to him/her self i believe it was his/her duty to give the refund that horsesrule asked for after losing her python. It was clearly a product, whether he/she knew it or not at the time, that was not fit for sale and therefor it was within Horsesrule's rights to be refunded. So explain why thi seller should not be given a bad name?? He/She has had multiple chances to redeem themselves by supplying a refund and/or checking the rest of the animals for sale and they did neither and your defending them!

I would imagine, had anything been noticably wrong you would not have bought it...I suppose you need to consider, if you didnt see anything wrong it is probably not unreasonable for the seller not to have seen anything wrong...

...I certainly agree that if a seller passes on a sick animal to you some sort of recompense should be made...

If you did not inspect the animal, or noticed something wrong and still purchased it...well, it's your issue to sort out to some degree...

I have had one sick snake, he got sick somet time AFTER coming into my care (an RI which he has since recovered from), however, the person I purchased him from offered to pay my veterinary bills if I thought it was sold to me with the RI...of course I didnt, and as such turned down the offer...this is a fantastic example of a seller, however, I certainly dont think there was any obligation on him to make such a generous offer....

...just a little reassurance than many breeders out there ARE good and trustworthy...

Also, it has been said that this should teach people the lesson "DON'T BUY FROM SOMEONE YOU DON'T TRUST" - ...I must say, that if you willingly purchased an animal from someone you knew had a bad reputation or you did not trust, well, again, a lot more of the fault must be accepted by the buyer...
There certainly are some great sellers out there but to someone who is knew to this hobby or dosen't have access to the internet or dosen't interect with any other herpers how do they learn who is reputable or not? As far as trusting someone goes the seller in question as mentioned sells not only state wide but nation wide and someone knew to the hobby would most certainly think that someone as large as such would be trustworthy.

Are you honestly serious??
How the hell are you suppose to know weather an animal has worms or not.
Are you saying that all reptile keeps should know what to look for when buyer reptiles to be able to tell weather it is fit for sale or not???
YOu are a joke!!!

get a life people that dealer sells hundreds of snake and buys hundreds off other wholesalers you cant worm every snake that you buy

Why cant you?? If you can give them a feed before selling off the animal (i'm assuming the seller only sells animals that are feeding, as only any respected seller would!) then you can certainly worm them as well (via injection into dead rodent).

Hm I doubt I will be dealing with this seller again, heard numerous bad things about them, and not only this recent business with worms.

The snake I got from them last year was a year old, and had only been fed 4 times since birth. He was NOT a bad feeder, as the first feed was within a month of him hatching, they were just too lazy to feed him by the looks.

If they can't keep up with the number of animals they have then they shouldn't be dealing at all.

What if you were to buy from interstate? You might not be able to inspect the animals in person then, and photos can easily be manipulated to make animals look healthier than they actually are.

get a life people that dealer sells hundreds of snake and buys hundreds off other wholesalers you cant worm every snake that you buy only the ones that are suss when you deal in that many some will die its not a perfect world it happens to all dealers and breeders so get over it and stop bad mouthing and move on cheers.

Ballarat hey? Interesting.:lol:
So you would be O.K with buying a snake that dies in 11 days. Then to have the seller refuse money refund and insists that you take another worm infested snake?

Also this dealer has been made aware that he has bought in a load of worm infested snakes, but still sells them to people without telling them that their snake may have worms to the point that it might cause death.

Why cant you?? If you can give them a feed before selling off the animal (i'm assuming the seller only sells animals that are feeding, as only any respected seller would!) then you can certainly worm them as well (via injection into dead rodent).
i got a life and its a good one worming a reptile is not a one off event it takes weeks and soon as you feed them with a fresh killed mouse there get them again and frozen isnt always possible and what is wrong with buying a snake that isnt feeding as long as you know how to get them to feed its all good cheers

i got a life and its a good one worming a reptile is not a one off event it takes weeks and soon as you feed them with a fresh killed mouse there get them again and frozen isnt always possible and what is wrong with buying a snake that isnt feeding as long as you know how to get them to feed its all good cheers
Nothing is wrong with selling a non feeding snake if it's advertised as such. If parasite free frozen mice/rats can't be be readily available then that person needs to consider decreasing the collection, or in this case the number passing through the outlet. As far as worming goes such a lare dealer you would believe would have a quarentine procedure to preven collection ruining diseases such as OMPV being passed from animal to animal. This quarentine process should last long enough to have the animals wormed and parasite free.

Well i have bought 2 dogs and 1 cat and have never received a vet check or whatever you are trying to get to. And i don't really understand anything you have said in any of your posts, so please try to make sense next time or i wont reply to your jumbled words.

you should find out the law reguarding the sale of dogs and cats then, shops and breeders have to sell them with a vet check and with there first injection by law.
maybe you should have a chat with the RSPCA on all the so called breeders and traders who are only intrested in profits over the animals they sell. I wonder if it was you that had a snake die, would you be so keen on defending him? Maybe not, I hope you won't have to suffer that fate like others have had to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back