Every one please read this!!! (sick/dying snakes)!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have my breeding snakes checked for worms every year or so. Its no big deal. Costs $16 dollars. A full vet check containing an appointment and mouth inspection and general going over costs a whole whopping $40. All this through a leading, well known herp vet.

Over the next few years my snakes will be coming on the market, and will be ranging from Anteresia up to whatever.

Thanks for this thread, it is helping me to understand what people want. What I want is a good reputation for healthy, good looking snakes.

If you want quality, healthy animals with a vet certificate including worm check, it may cost an extra $50, but i'll be more than happy to provide.

Cheers.

and that's how it should be, if you take a whole cluch in at a time, you will find the cost is even less, so in the end it's not that much more to add to the sale price anyway:D

Hm I doubt I will be dealing with this seller again, heard numerous bad things about them, and not only this recent business with worms.

The snake I got from them last year was a year old, and had only been fed 4 times since birth. He was NOT a bad feeder, as the first feed was within a month of him hatching, they were just too lazy to feed him by the looks.

If they can't keep up with the number of animals they have then they shouldn't be dealing at all.

nothing to do with being lazy, it's only to keep their costs down on food bills. :?

Nothing is wrong with selling a non feeding snake if it's advertised as such. If parasite free frozen mice/rats can't be be readily available then that person needs to consider decreasing the collection, or in this case the number passing through the outlet. As far as worming goes such a lare dealer you would believe would have a quarentine procedure to preven collection ruining diseases such as OMPV being passed from animal to animal. This quarentine process should last long enough to have the animals wormed and parasite free.
in a perfect world may be so if you sell a thousand healthy snakes and say a few that you thought were but werent i dont think that makes you a dodgy dealer cheers

Ballarat hey? Interesting.:lol:
So you would be O.K with buying a snake that dies in 11 days. Then to have the seller refuse money refund and insists that you take another worm infested snake?

Also this dealer has been made aware that he has bought in a load of worm infested snakes, but still sells them to people without telling them that their snake may have worms to the point that it might cause death.

ELAPID 66 - My question still stands...

I think from the sounds of it a bit more than a few poor animals have been sold

What if you were to buy from interstate? You might not be able to inspect the animals in person then, and photos can easily be manipulated to make animals look healthier than they actually are.

Now there are so many snakes around there is generally no need to buy interstate. You are far better buying local where you can see and touch the snake and eyeball the seller.

Your location elapid and your defense of the shop in question ( which happened to be closely related to Horsesrule original thread) all smell fishy to me and you dont need to be a rogue scholar to see why you are invlolved. :rolleyes:

The damage is done the seller in question is only harming himself and i must say thank god to APS so all this comes to light and protects herp lovers from purchasing from people like this in the future.

I find it amusing that after 1 short post... without mentioning any names of who the breeder is EVERYONE seems to know who the breeder is!!!!

Thats gotta say something about the breeder

i got a life and its a good one worming a reptile is not a one off event it takes weeks and soon as you feed them with a fresh killed mouse there get them again and frozen isnt always possible and what is wrong with buying a snake that isnt feeding as long as you know how to get them to feed its all good cheers

When i wrote "Why can't you?", i was asking "Why can't you worm a snake", not "Why can't YOU get a life?"

Worm Out gel is excellent stuff and far better than other wormers. In most cases one dose of this is enough.

Feeding a fresh killed rodent doesn't necessarily lead to a re-occurance of worms.

There's nothing wrong with buying a snake that isn't feeding, it's just that most buyers prefer to buy snakes that ARE feeding.

ELAPID 66 - My question still stands...
if those snakes are sold on good faith and you bring one back that has died of say worms and is proven then you should get a big fat sorry and either your money back or another snake and maybe something for free for suck hole value but that me i dont run the shop

Thanks to Miss GMH and Horsesrule as there threads have really served a purpose and are helping to protect others. ;)

When i wrote "Why can't you?", i was asking "Why can't you worm a snake", not "Why can't YOU get a life?"

Worm Out gel is excellent stuff and far better than other wormers. In most cases one dose of this is enough.

Feeding a fresh killed rodent doesn't necessarily lead to a re-occurance of worms.

There's nothing wrong with buying a snake that isn't feeding, it's just that most buyers prefer to buy snakes that ARE feeding.
in most cases when your got hundreds of snakes the ods are they will get reinfected

Last edited:
sick/dying snakes

G'day, I am a snake breeder, with some 40 yrs keeping and breeding behind me. I will only supply a hatchie [straight out of the egg] to an experienced herp. keeper who can get it feeding. Newbies to the hobby, will only be supplied an animal that I have got to feed to my satisfaction! If newbies buy an animal from a dealer/pet shop, they run the risk of buying a 'wild caught', (complete with parasite load), or an animal that some one has unloaded to a pet shop/dealer because it is sick. I have in the past bought such animals and had them die despite treatment. If you purchase an animal from a petshop/dealer you run this risk. My advise to 'newbies' to the hobby is to buy from a reputable breeder! Thus, you will get a young animal with known history. Otherwise its 'buyer beware'! I have in the past, supplied to, and purchased from, the person in question. Some of you, out there, have purchased animals from this person that I have in fact bred! I once purchased from him a pair of adult animals that I wanted. Within a short time the male sickened and died, despite treatment. I contacted him and explained the situation.Despite being unable to replace the dead male, he supplied me with two other animals in replacement. I was pretty stoked about this as one was a species that I had wanted for some time. But then, I am an experience herp keeper and he knows this.
Newbies to the hobby, buy young animals from reputable breeders, raise them and then breed with them. Otherwise you may well be disapointed. "BUYER BEWARE"!

I find it amusing that after 1 short post... without mentioning any names of who the breeder is EVERYONE seems to know who the breeder is!!!!

Thats gotta say something about the breeder

Every one knows because under the site rules you are allowed to private message the name of the seller in question. And for those saying that there is no possible way of knowing the snakes had worms, a single sample of poo sent to the vets would determine that.

Your location elapid and your defense of the shop in question ( which happened to be closely related to Horsesrule original thread) all smell fishy to me and you dont need to be a rogue scholar to see why you are invlolved. :rolleyes:

The damage is done the seller in question is only harming himself and i must say thank god to APS so all this comes to light and protects herp lovers from purchasing from people like this in the future.
i know the family so what

Every one knows because under the site rules you are allowed to private message the name of the seller in question. And for those saying that there is no possible way of knowing the snakes had worms, a single sample of poo sent to the vets would determine that.
get real

well pm me the name please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back