POLL - Keeping Exotic Species in Australia

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If it was legal to keep Exotics in Australia, would you?

• I would keep exotics if they were legalised for import and general keeping under licence in Australi

Votes: 148 77.5%
  • If they were legalised, I would still not keep exotics.

Votes: 43 22.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mayhem

Reaction score
Due to some heated discussion in another forum section regarding keeping exotics, I thought I'd try and add a poll so we can get a bit of an idea how people feel about this.

*** Due to the almost Nazi Germany style of secrecy and fear of honesty that seems to have a grip on these forums...

THIS IS AN ANONYMOUS POLL. YOU DO NOT NEED TO IDENTIFY YOURSELF OR YOUR ANSWER, SIMPLY CLICK YOUR CHOICE.

Feel free to discuss but no slagging each other off over answers, leave that for the other thread. ***

Part of being licensed to keep exotics, I'm sure we all would agree, would be to provide evidence and probably inspection of the security of your enclosures.

With this in mind, please vote on the poll above. As said, you don't need to say who you are or what you voted for, so don't be afraid to be honest for a change.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm fine with admitting that i would, but only if there were incredibly strict regulations on quarantine and importation. Having said that, i can imagine that the regulations are never going to be strict enough to prevent the spread of diseases from another country into Australia. So given the choice i would prefer exotics to never be available legally here for the sake of disease prevention. However, if one day it were legalised and i felt that the regulations and quarantine measures were adequate i would certainly not miss out on keeping Balls, Corns, Boas, etc. Just MHO.

I wouldn't say that! First and foremost should be our concern regarding the spread of infectious diseases previously not encountered in Australia. Clearly with the apparent number of illegal exotics here the legalities aren't the issue. It's QUARANTINE.

I have kept burmese pythons, mangrove snakes and russels vipers when I lived over in Thailand, and I would keep them again here if I was allowed to, they were all beautiful snakes.

My only real problem (providing quarantine was met properly) with exotics in Aus is the cross breeding that goes on in the states, I wouldnt want to see our aussies cross bred and introduced to the wild population. But aside from that, I'd be all over it if I was able to legally own another Burmese or some other nice species :D

I made my position pretty clear in the earlier thread. I would keep exotics if they were legal, and I would like to see something changed as the current system has not stopped exotics getting into this country, or the diseases they bring in with the complete lack of quarantine.

Better the devil you know?, or just a free pass to bedlam?.

I made my position pretty clear in the earlier thread. I would keep exotics if they were legal, and I would like to see something changed as the current system has not stopped exotics getting into this country, or the diseases they bring in with the complete lack of quarantine.

Better the devil you know?, or just a free pass to bedlam?.

Prohibition only sent the production and consumption of alcohol underground and put money into criminal hands, so I think better the devil you know :)

The illicit drug trade is a huge industry, billions of dollars. Billions of dollars that are unmonitored, uncontrolled and once again, in criminal hands.

Legality is the key to control.

I agree, i would be mortified to see an increase in cross breeds in Aus!! makes me so angry to see them sold in petshops. I find that the ease with which QLD's can aquire a licence equally disturbing. To think of the number of newbies we get asking about things like live-feeding, temperatures, and handling is awful! Surely even for just a basic licence there needs to be greater regulation and input by the EPA? Or at least they could get their act together and allow for one homogenous licencing system Australia wide with set requirements that must be met before a licence is granted, (like educational courses and references for other experienced keepers.)

I think if exotics were legalised in Australia, to prevent further hydridisation or cross-breeding there would need to be more monitoring of keepers. I know that this in itself is theoretically impossible but what if, say, there were a different licencing system for keeping exotics. And another licence again if you wanted to actually breed them? I'm just thowing ideas out there, even if they relate to the current licence system for natives.

Just remember i'm not advocating the legalisation of keeping exotics in Australia, just discussing it :)

im happy with what we have,native wise,dont think we need exotics at all but can understand the interest,but so much more work needs to be done with aussie species,and the different licensing systems between the states,i would prefer for instance victoria being able to keep species that are common in other states,things like boyds,rough scale pythons,leaf tail gex,rough knobbies,brevicauda and lots of different species are exotic to us poor soles down in vic

good post mayhem

Yeh I think a seperate licencing system, similar to the "advanced" licence that a few states have and the requirment to provide evidence of keeping/support etc like is currently needed for keeping elapids would be a must for a start. Even a 2-3 year previouse licence holding and keeping time with log books, demonstrating responsibility and security.

I would love to have a Chameleon so much!!! I would do whatever it took, legally, any courses, special training, enclosures etc.

i think perhaps you should add another bit to your poll;

should aus get its act together and create one homogenous licencing system, with advanced levels for non-natives (to the state the licencee lives in) and elapids/colubrids?

Yes (oh GOD yes!)
No

eheh (highjack)

Id keep them if it were legal, but then if that were the case i would find something alot cooler than the balls, corn etc.
Like a dwarf caiman, how cute are they??

We will never have legal exotics in this country, no matter how much some people want to whinge about it being unfair! As for Nazi Germany? I can't see any link between not having exotic reptiles in Australia and Nazi ideology? Don't even start on the "prohibition drives the trade underground", you could say the same thing about any illegal trade, does that mean we leagalize all crimes so we can monitor them more closely?

Theres no harm in dreaming, I dont think theres anything wrong with perving on overseas animals.
I do find issues with people who think they are higher than the law and get them tho. And i find it quite a fun game to dob on those scumbags :twisted::twisted:

We will never have legal exotics in this country, no matter how much some people want to whinge about it being unfair! As for Nazi Germany? I can't see any link between not having exotic reptiles in Australia and Nazi ideology? Don't even start on the "prohibition drives the trade underground", you could say the same thing about any illegal trade, does that mean we leagalize all crimes so we can monitor them more closely?

This discussion is not aimed at people wanting "whinge about it being unfair". We are simply discussing the reasoning behind the desire to keep/not to keep the exotics, irrespective of the legalities at this point in time.

And i don't think the intention of starting this thread was ever to encourage people to 'jump on the band-wagon' to assist the move towards the legalisation of exotics, we're simply having a discussion about it :)

talking openly and not being nitty picky here,but legalising them wont stop the illegal importation,thats a definate so i see your thinking that i will kind of wishful thinking

even with quarantine,it doesnt rule out diseases,alot of diseases can only be diagnosed from autopsied snakes,also the importation and quaratine will be costly,people illegally import green trees into aus because its cheaper than buying aussie bred ones,thats a fact,and gtp are legal here,yet still being smuggled in,this is my point,how do you think legalising exotics will prevent this from happening when test subjects like the gtp,s show it doesnt do squat to prevent it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back