Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should exotic reptiles be allowed to be kept in Australia?

• YES, they should!

Votes: 35 36.5%
  • NO, they shouldn't!

Votes: 61 63.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we should focus more on getting the laws to be universal Oz wide rather than different in every state in regards to what we can have than introducing legal exotics which has the potential to be very damaging to the environment. Everything else we have introduced has had disastrous effects, majority of people are just to dumb to think about how their actions effect more than themselves.

But even the states have their laws for good reason. WA seems to be the most strict as far as I have read, not just with overseas stuff, but animals from other states gettng loose into their wildlife could be detrimental to their wildlife populations, too. Even plants. You look at the listings on Ebay for native trees, and see how many state "Not for WA or Tasmania".

Is there somewhere overseas that is having big problems with burmese? pythons. Those snakes grow huge. Can you imagine them getting into our wildlife, we'd have no small - moderately large native species of any kind left if the likes of these pythons got out.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the reason why the Burmese python does so well over here in America is because Florida's climate is almost that of Southeast Asia where the Burms are from. I doubt Aus has a climate like S.E Asia. Burms like it pretty warm and humid. Is the climate of Aus like that of S.E. Asia? If not then you really have nothing to worry about.

Besides just like over here, Aus does have a predator that can kill a pretty large burm.... the Salt water croc. They are way more aggressive and larger then the American Alligator. Pretty sure the BHP's would kill a small to med size burm, also you have Perenties, Dingos, Native cats, other monitors and other predators.

Far enough but what reason is there for not letting people keep natives that are endemic to where they live though? In QLD we can't have gliders which are native to the state. I just think the laws should be the same, I'd be devastated if we had to move to WA for example & had to give up all my babies because of the various differences from one state to another.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the reason why the Burmese python does so well over here in America is because Florida's climate is almost that of Southeast Asia where the Burms are from. I doubt Aus has a climate like S.E Asia. Burms like it pretty warm and humid. Is the climate of Aus like that of S.E. Asia? If not then you really have nothing to worry about.

Besides just like over here, Aus does have a predator that can kill a pretty large burm.... the Salt water croc. They are way more aggressive and larger then the American Alligator. Pretty sure the BHP's would kill a small to med size burm, also you have Perenties, Dingos, Native cats, other monitors and other predators.

Far North QLD would be prime habitat for the Burmese I think & I think it is already pretty fragile up that way.

Oh we don't have native cats just feral introduced cats.

Last edited:
Another one of these threads, cracks me up each time. Here is my two cents worth.
The main reason that people shouldn't be allowed exotics is because without excellent quarantine facilities set up we are at a huge risk of introducing diseases in larger numbers then the black market is responsible for.

That being said, to all the people that talk about how nice our local stuff is, and it is, how many people try to throw jags over it to pretty it up? Where did those jags come from? What has been potentially introduced with them, as well as supporting the black market?

I am not anti jags I just find it funny when people are so anti exotics that a lot of them would happily keep Jags knowing their origins.

Cheers

The way I see it is if you want exotics then why not go to whatever country thier from, quit complaining that Australia should change its laws to allow potentially dangerous animals to Australia's natives. Besides Australia has much better reps so having more is not needed. We should consider ourselves lucky to have these amazing reptiles.

I have a solution....
The OP can move overseas. That will solve his problems and ours...LOL

Another one of these threads, cracks me up each time. Here is my two cents worth.
The main reason that people shouldn't be allowed exotics is because without excellent quarantine facilities set up we are at a huge risk of introducing diseases in larger numbers then the black market is responsible for.

That being said, to all the people that talk about how nice our local stuff is, and it is, how many people try to throw jags over it to pretty it up? Where did those jags come from? What has been potentially introduced with them, as well as supporting the black market?

I am not anti jags I just find it funny when people are so anti exotics that a lot of them would happily keep Jags knowing their origins.

Cheers

Don't tar everyone with the same brush.

For those who want exotics......hope you all have nice big fat wallets! Could only imagine what any legitimate imported reptile would cost to the regular punter.

Bugger my phone is about to die from reading this thread instead of working lol.

It would be cool to have a "Name my Gaboon Viper" thread though

We in Australia have some of the best reptiles in the WORLD!!! and we where ever aloud to have exotics the same thing that has happened in other countries would happen here they would be released into the wild and compete with our own native animals!! We have enough of that already with wild cats and dogs..

I can't believe 30% (so far) actually want exotics here. Think it through- would you like to risk your entire collection due to disease? Do you enjoy seeing our native healthy reptiles in the wild, and seeing other wildlife (birds, mammals, amphibians- almost everything) that could be decimated by disease, predation and competition for resources which is a very likely moderate to long term scenario if exotics were introduced. Look at how cane toads took off.

Australia is fragile enough already compliments of foolish mistakes by humans.

Stupidity and insanity is making the same mistakes repeatedly, yet expectng a different result each time.

"Oh, none will escape or be released, and quarantine will prevent all diseases- theres no risk" /

Last edited:
While we may already have exotic birds breeding in australia it is actually now illegal to import birds, quarantine regulations have been tightened more in recent years, homestly i think you are kidding yourselves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back