Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should exotic reptiles be allowed to be kept in Australia?

• YES, they should!

Votes: 35 36.5%
  • NO, they shouldn't!

Votes: 61 63.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
By our powers combined!

captain_planet.gif

How does Australia benefit from keeping exotic reptiles?
Why should they be kept legally in Australia?

The diverse range of native species we can keep (WA & Tas exempt) have always been enough to satisfy my reptile curiosity.

captain saximus, he's our hero. going to help keep exotics down to zero! ((can i be fire?)

but seriously op i voted no, even with your very convincing secret government fbi/mib/asio group being mentioned.

Ok reptil_manic. Why do you think Australia should allow exotics in? Not just because of exotic fish, bird, cat. What would your reasoning be to get them allowed?

It's not only in America, back in my hometown in Asia i've seen everything from falcons, sea turtles, green anacondas, crocs, leopard cats and slow loris'

The second regulations get lax everyone seems to have dollar signs on their eyes, and honestly its sickening especially when all anyone cares about is profits gained from the wildlife trade.
Its so big even the regulating governmental bodies can't keep up, either that or they get bribed, it's small money anyway compared to what they actually gain from it, not to mention whats legal and whats illegal has ben blurred as a result.

And don't even get me started with when they lose interest with whatever they're keeping and starts dumping them.

Last edited:
I think reptile_manic should come over here to America and stay in Florida for a few weeks and then see how much they want exotics in Aus. When you walk around Florida and you see Chameleons (from Africa and Madagscar), Nile Monitors (from Africa), Burmese Pythons (from Southeast Asia), and a lot of other non native animals just living the life in Florida like it is their home, maybe it will open up your eyes. Exotics are no joke. They can prove fatal to native wildlife under the right conditions.

Who is this wildlife trade group? A poll of randoms on an internet site hardly constitutes an important argument.Lastly on what grounds do you think it may be possible,if it's because many other exotic pets are allowed you are sadly mistaken.

Agree! How many exotic pets are now feral pests effecting our wildlife.

actually on second thought maybe there is some merit to this, i mean who wouldn't want to have a komodo dragon theft prevention system in place? just setup twin fences around your property and let the komodo roam freely between the 2 fences! yeah, while we are at it can we work on getting them flying monkeys imported from the land of oz?

Last edited:
"I have a dream that one day, down in Australia, with it's vicious exotic laws, that one day right in Australia that little black exotics will be able to join hands with little White exotics as brother and sister"

I think that's what Martin Luther King thought about Australia's exotic laws. Lol

Last edited:
it saddens me that such silly and selfish people think they should just be allowed to do what every they want and be damned the consequences.

you should be ashamed of yourselves, you have no regard for our wonderful native wildlife or the environment grrr makes me so gosh darn angry.

We already have too many ferals such as cats, dogs, cane toads, camels, pigs, horses, red eared sliders. People on here may be more responsible than a lot of members in the general public, however look at how many 'escapee python threads' have been posted on here over time. Regardless of how 'careful' keepers may be, irresponsible people will still release them into the wild and there will still be escapees. Also, if you allow the importation of exotics, it poses a significant disease risk to both reptiles in captivity, and more importantly, our wild populations.

Sure, I love a lot of the exotic species, but personally I think we have enough ferals, and we don't need any more diseases- the risk of both is too significant.

Summary = risk >>> benefit

Is there somewhere overseas that is having big problems with burmese? pythons. Those snakes grow huge. Can you imagine them getting into our wildlife, we'd have no small - moderately large native species of any kind left if the likes of these pythons got out.

I just want Australian reptiles in Tasmania that is all I ask :cry:

And I would put my hand out for a tassie devil before a exotic reptile, any day.

it saddens me that such silly and selfish people think they should just be allowed to do what every they want and be damned the consequences.

you should be ashamed of yourselves, you have no regard for our wonderful native wildlife or the environment grrr makes me so gosh darn angry.

now now, i wouldn't say selfish, more likely misinformed, and personally there does not seem to be any ill intentions on his part is there?
theres nothing wrong with wanting stuff now right? At least from the posts (and the poll) we learn some new things, after all, isn't that what discussions are for anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back