Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should exotic reptiles be allowed to be kept in Australia?

• YES, they should!

Votes: 35 36.5%
  • NO, they shouldn't!

Votes: 61 63.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Luck, Australia has some amazing animals but for those of you against it... spend some time with a Fijian Crested Iguana and you'll want exotics in Australia too.

We have an iguana at work, hes a nasty bugger and i can honestly say he does nothing for me, nor do the corn snakes or the burmese. I much prefer the wonderful reps that i have at home

i'm happy with the aussie natives, the only thing that bothers me about import/export laws is that so many of our animals are over in america, so every time you look at something on youtube 99.9% of the time it's some teenage yank showing off his brand new woma pie-thorn

Lol. You guys want to see my Coastal? Lol. Sorry I couldn't resist. Aussie reptiles are just so awesome. Even us Americans have to have them. Why would we want a boring corn snake when we can have a Coastal or Jungle carpet or a Woma?

now now, i wouldn't say selfish, more likely misinformed, and personally there does not seem to be any ill intentions on his part is there?
theres nothing wrong with wanting stuff now right? At least from the posts (and the poll) we learn some new things, after all, isn't that what discussions are for anyway?

you wouldn't call it selfish wanting to import animals into the country with all the risks associated to the environment? wow..

there's a saying "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" so intention or not, there is well known and discussed risks from multiple vectors, that in it's self screams "selfish" at least to me.

and no, there's nothing with wanting stuff, it's fine to state you'd like to have something, but when you start discussing your cause for your own gain over the known risks, then it starts entering a grey area.

and yes we do learn new things all the time, it's those people who argue against all logic that annoys me.

we know there are a myriad of reptile diseases outside our country, we know some of these reptiles would, without ANY doubt cause monumental environmental damage if they escaped ( and they would without doubt, heck, most people on these forums have lost reptiles at least once, and many will yet) the risk is simply far too great (do you want another cane toad issue? rabbits? cats? the list is as long as your arm as it is)

so yes, it's selfish and reckless in any way you put it forth.

Last edited by a moderator:
For those reptile keepers in Australia burning with desire to work with exotic reptiles, a nice and legal way to get your fix is to become a zoo or wildlife keeper at a zoo or wildlife park. Some of the species you can get your hands dirty working with on a daily basis is both exciting and rewarding (which I can personally recommend). At the end of the day you can then go home to your cherished aussie natives and by comparison see just how lucky we are to have them in the first place.

I agree OZziepythons, quitely frankly the aussie natives in the collection at work are far more interesting. Can you really go past death adders, broad headed snakes and tigers for interestand beauty, not to mention scrubbies and all our amazing monitors and soon hopefully well have thorny devils in our colection as well, the burmese python and corn snakes and even the iguana really havent got anything on those guys (although i must admit a soft spot for tortoises :p )

why is it that all the our pyhons are avaliable in usa and europe then, when we have a no native wildlife export rule , i find kind of funny, if like a import bird and kept in a cage why cant we have snakes as they are caged aswell.

Do you people read threads?
Read this...
Some people realy don't think for instance " we already have exotic pets why don't we alow exotic reptiles (something along those lines anyway)"
That's just like saying theft happens why don't we just legalize Piratism, are you people are aware of the damaged caused by cats, dogs, cane toads? We would only further that problem by the introduction of exotics (dah)

In the last thread I posted this question
"I'm going to ask all exotic lovers a question

biring in all exotics and possibly destroy many of our native creatures?

Be safe and enjoy what we have, and have the privelige of having our native animals all around us?

Before the next exotic lover posts.... answer my question."

The thread died shortly after And I place this same question again to the next Pro exotic lover to post....

well heres a question why are so may ozzie snakes overseas

you wouldn't call it selfish wanting to import animals into the country with all the risks associated to the environment? wow..

there's a saying "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" so intention or not, there is well known and discussed risks from multiple vectors, that in it's self screams "selfish" at least to me.

and no, there's nothing with wanting stuff, it's fine to state you'd like to have something, but when you start discussing your cause for your own gain over the known risks, then it start entering a grey area.

and yes we do learn new things all the time, it's those people who argue against all logic that annoys me.

we know there are a myriad of reptile diseases outside our country, we know some of these reptiles would, without ANY doubt cause monumental environmental damage if they escaped ( and they would without doubt, heck, most people on these forums have lost reptiles at least once, and many will yet) the risk is simply far too great (do you want another cane toad issue? rabbits? cats? the list is as long as your arm as it is)

so yes, it's selfish and reckless in any way you put it forth.

ok, the point has been made, but have you considered pure ignorance or misinformation on the OP's part? There's yet (at least from skimming) to be a substantial argument for exotics(and for good reason, as my previous post)

Heck the website linked, in all intents and purposes was the government's website listing whats legal and whatnot, so i'd say thats a pretty good indicator on the miss(or lack of)information on his part.

Now i'm not defending importation of exotics, let's make that very clear, not by a long shot, but to jump the gun and accuse a poorly thought through notion as being purely selfish and for personal gain is stretching it abit no?

Perhaps this is a topic very close to your heart, and i respect that, but please don't take it out on people who may still be going through their learning curve, as perhaps we lack the same experience or insight as you do.

Last edited:
Waikare you CANT import birds. Laws were less strict in the oast because we didnt always understand the dangers of carting animals al over the world. W now know better and so birds can no longer be brought into the country yes we already have alot of exotic bird species here but that comes down to the horse having bolted as they say, too latet change that now and in some areas theynhave gone feral is is the situation with indian ringnecks in WA. Here we have an opportunity to close the gate and keep it closed BEFORE the horse bolts.

We have exotics birds, dogs, cats, farm animals and larger critters like camels all brought here with good intentions and without fail a large proportion of them have created a feral prblem in one way or another, why would we be silly enough to take that risk again?

Just because other countries are less strict with their import regs doesnt mean we should be. We are very much cut off from the rest of the world in terms of animal and plant diseases and as such we have a responsibility to protect our precious creatures from imported diseases

I actually have zero interest in exotics, and I hope theyre never allowed here, and I doubt they will be.
When you think about it, people who want exotics are overlooking our amazing wildlife and becoming greedy for other things, but thats just human nature. We'll naturally want what we cant have.
I believe the consequences would be too devastating if it was allowed, and for what? Just so some people can keep a ball python?
The last thing we need is another invasive amphibian or reptile to stuff up our unique ecosystem.

I actually have zero interest in exotics, and I hope theyre never allowed here, and I doubt they will be.
When you think about it, people who want exotics are overlooking our amazing wildlife and becoming greedy for other things, but thats just human nature. We'll naturally want what we cant have.
I believe the consequences would be too devastating if it was allowed, and for what? Just so some people can keep a ball python?
The last thing we need is another invasive amphibian or reptile to stuff up our unique ecosystem.

You have got to be the most sophisticated 12 year old, ever.

well heres a question why are so may ozzie snakes overseas
That's a dumb question what has that got to do with it?
For your information Green anole are now threatened by exotic anoles... There are Burms in florida the are Cane toads here how much more proof do you want?
and if you want to post again answer my question in the previous post before you post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back