Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should exotic reptiles be allowed to be kept in Australia?

• YES, they should!

Votes: 35 36.5%
  • NO, they shouldn't!

Votes: 61 63.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, the point has been made, but have you considered pure ignorance or misinformation on the OP's part? There's yet (at least from skimming) to be a substantial argument for exotics(and for good reason, as my previous post)

Heck the website linked, in all intents and purposes was the government's website listing whats legal and whatnot, so i'd say thats a pretty good indicator on the miss(or lack of)information on his part.

Now i'm not defending importation of exotics, let's make that very clear, not by a long shot, but to jump the gun and accuse a poorly thought through notion as being purely selfish and for personal gain is stretching it abit no?

Perhaps this is a topic very close to your heart, and i respect that, but please don't take it out on people who may still be going through their learning curve, as perhaps we lack the same experience or insight as you do.

can you point out anywhere I've "taken it out" on anyone? no, you can't because I haven't, I've used firm language to get across the seriousness of the issue, but I've attacked no one in the slightest.
you're far more likely to get worse for getting pulled up for a speeding ticket :p

I actually have zero interest in exotics, and I hope theyre never allowed here, and I doubt they will be.
When you think about it, people who want exotics are overlooking our amazing wildlife and becoming greedy for other things, but thats just human nature. We'll naturally want what we cant have.
I believe the consequences would be too devastating if it was allowed, and for what? Just so some people can keep a ball python?
The last thing we need is another invasive amphibian or reptile to stuff up our unique ecosystem.

your not really 12 are you?

I actually have zero interest in exotics, and I hope theyre never allowed here, and I doubt they will be.
When you think about it, people who want exotics are overlooking our amazing wildlife and becoming greedy for other things, but thats just human nature. We'll naturally want what we cant have.
I believe the consequences would be too devastating if it was allowed, and for what? Just so some people can keep a ball python?
The last thing we need is another invasive amphibian or reptile to stuff up our unique ecosystem.
Hit the nail on the head Alex!

im not for allowing exoctics im just wondering how so escaped the country

in before the OP announces that he trolled everyone by making this thread just to cause havoc and start huge fight leaving everyone dumbstruck and confused haha.

America allowed their importation in the same way we used to allow it for birds, im sure they have some regrets now though

There are aussie snakes over here in America because there weren't always such rules and regulations in place. Just about every reptile Australia has, America has. We have Beardies, Blue tongue skinks, Carpet pythons, Scrub pythons, Ackies, and so on and so on. Hell, in some zoos, we even have Perenties. I don't think I have ever seen one for sell though. I believe that is why we have so many Australian reptiles. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think Aus stopped exporting and importing wildlife in the 1970's? There are so many people over here breeding Morelia and other Australian snakes that it isn't even funny. Right now I can go buy an Inland Taipan for $5k.

Its not quite that simple though, the ones you can import are pigeon and fowl, in terms of exotic pet birds the inly way you can import one is for it have been your pet for a minimum period(think its either 1 or 2 years iff the top of ky head) you need to prove its a household pet and you can only import ONE. So no one will be able to bring over their aviary full of breeding birds.

So yes there is a loophole but its not designed to allow for people from aus to order animals from oerseas, its for people making a permanent move to aus who want to bring a pet with them.

Agree completely with you snakeluvver. I especially find that "We'll naturaly want what we can't have" common in people.

With the way things are going in OZ allowing exotic reptiles is never going to happen (which is a good thing) so quit trying, native oz animals are already suffering from the imported animals people have already introduced.

Last edited:
can you point out anywhere I've "taken it out" on anyone? no, you can't because I haven't, I've used firm language to get across the seriousness of the issue, but I've attacked no one in the slightest.
you're far more likely to get worse for getting pulled up for a speeding ticket :p

ahh glad we got that cleared, then i believe i do owe you and apology :)

I'm actually a 48 year old man living in my mothers basement :D

totally doesn't make you sound like a predator :p

With the way things are going in OZ allowing exotic retiles is never going to happen (which is a good thing) so quit trying, native oz animals are already suffering from the inported animals people have already introduced.
Yeah, no offense to the OP and people who agree with him, but the people who're pushing for exotics to be legalized generally have no authority, so it wont happen. Its just an idea that theyre trying to push for and have to solid plan or reasoning to do so.

Nonnative Reptiles

That is just a list of the non native reptiles in Florida because of the fact that someone thought they were cute and then didn't want them any more or someone got greedy and wanted to breed them and no one else wanted them so they let them go into the wild.

Florida Wildlife Extension at UF/IFAS

That is just a little article letting you know about how much it cost each year to deal with non native plants and wildlife.

Like I said before. Do we have exotics over here in America? Yes. In the end is it really worth all the damage to the native wildlife and ecosystems? I don't really think it is. If you want something be prepared for the trouble that it brings with it.

There still hasn't been one good reason why exotics should be allowed. The only reason the supporters for it, have come up with it is that exotic birds are sometimes allowed. There needs to be a better excuse if you really want them to be allowed.

I think the only reason people want exotics is that they are small minded & are probably amazed by shiny things.

shiny? where WHERE!!! I WANT IT NOW! :p :D

oh look! a puppy!! he he he he heeeeee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back