POLL - Keeping Exotic Species in Australia

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If it was legal to keep Exotics in Australia, would you?

• I would keep exotics if they were legalised for import and general keeping under licence in Australi

Votes: 148 77.5%
  • If they were legalised, I would still not keep exotics.

Votes: 43 22.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
its the money and greed thing,the risks are scary enough for people,no ones getting jail time or 110 thousand dollar fines,there getting a slap on the wrist,so they risk it because they see the value of these animals and the money they can make,look over seas for example,most of the big breeders smuggle aussie animals out of aus,they do there jail time or pay there 20 odd thousand dollar fines but they make thousands of dollars with said animals,animals never before seen out of australia are becoming common over there,bredli,vic carpets,anthill pythons,heaps of monitors,even stumpys and blotched blueys

SO Richard, this thread is about wether you would keep them or not - you havent said wether or not you would personally keep them.. its okay if you dont want to answer, im just interested to see because you have put up a good argument regarding smuggling but not said anything about wether you would support the legal keeping.

IF exotics were legal then there would be a few animals for sure that I'd probably like to have but I think the bulk of my collection would remain australian natives. they are my favourite snakes over all and I haven't even explored half of the species of reptiles available here.

I never voted in your poll Mayhem ;) I wanna know exactly what species of exotics where talking about here first :lol: before I click yes or no.
so I'll just sit on the fence :D

There are no pythons or colubrids from OS that I like as much as I like ours and I don't personally keep elapids (my husband does) so I'd have to say no, there's nothing I'd really be interested in getting should it be legalised.

I'm not really sure about the whole Nazi aspect you've mentioned. If you mean that the faction for or the faction against keeping exotics is so violently against it that they intimidate those who would disagree then you might be right....however, you'd get people like that on the other side of the argument too. I'm always amused when people pop their heads up in a debate and say that people from the other side of the debate are bullies, sheep or whatever else, if you step back and take an objective look at any of these threads that end up in heated arguments you'd see there's people who fit that mould on both sides. It's usually just something thrown out there when the person trying to argue their case has run out of things to justify their position and must instead turn to discrediting people on the opposing side by trying to make it seem as though the fact that they hold that opinion is proof of their ill intent. I'm sure at times it can seem like there's a weighting in favour of either side of an argument though, and that all the conflict can be offputting, so I can understand why it is you've made it anonymous to appeal to those who think they're going to get hammered.

I never voted in your poll Mayhem ;) I wanna know exactly what species of exotics where talking about here first :lol: before I click yes or no.
so I'll just sit on the fence :D

I dont think it needed to be expanded to include species list, it doesnt overseas so why should it in this scenario? :)

I dont think it needed to be expanded to include species list, it doesnt overseas so why should it in this scenario? :)

ok :D so are you saying absolutely any reptile from overseas?
If so then I'd be "tempted" to click yes. but as I say Im pretty happy with my aussie pythons.

Would i like some to have some overseas species in my collection YES.

For the sake of native fauna NO.

If exotics were allowed into Oz there may be too many people out there I feel that would get a delusion of grandeur that they area geneticist. The idiots over seas already hybridize anything with anything, imagine what would happen here if exotics were allowed. To many so called "morphs/hybrids" that would look so far removed from their natural state you may need to consider them a new species. A bit off tangient from the original question of yes or no to legalising exotics, but a varying factor i feel that influences my decision of NO to exotics.

I'm fine with admitting that i would, but only if there were incredibly strict regulations on quarantine and importation. Having said that, i can imagine that the regulations are never going to be strict enough to prevent the spread of diseases from another country into Australia. So given the choice i would prefer exotics to never be available legally here for the sake of disease prevention. However, if one day it were legalised and i felt that the regulations and quarantine measures were adequate i would certainly not miss out on keeping Balls, Corns, Boas, etc. Just MHO.

Good answer :)
i totaly agree..

sigh. i just want my GTP's, a few more weeks yet. then i'll be happy to stick with the aussie species! Agree with everyone thats said they prefer our aussie species to anything available overseas, although... those Pit Vipers are pretty awesome animals! (Gimme a hypo bredli/albino bluey over that any day anyway!) :D

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE OI OI OI :D

Yeh, Aussie snakes are definately some of the best, and I wouldnt swap my green python for anything, but as if it wouldnt be nice to have the option to own somthing else as well... one day when I live overseas - i'll have them all :)

now that i really think about it, the only thing i would ever really want to keep that is currently illegal in Aus (and QLD) is a chameleon and a rabbit :p eh.

i dont see what the big deal is, as long as the take the right steps when they are imported, we already have exotics in or zoo's and parks whats the difference they would of had tuff precautions when they where sent here and they havent spread any disease's yet

There are a fair few exotics i'd like to keep.

If they were legalised and if the correct quarantine and import procedures were followed i wouldn't hesitate.

However i don't think this will happen in the near future. If/When it does happen i do believe there should be an 'advanced' type license for them to be on, and i think it should be monitored quite strictly.

Legal or not they still have the potential if they escape or are released to pose a threat to our native wildlife.

I would be as happy as a pig in mud if i could have a chameleon! I grew up with them as a kid and is completely hooked on them, the only problem is they are illegal! I hope that in the not so distant future exotics were allowed but under extremely strict licensing (possibly like a venomous type license). It would really be a treat but i also love Aussie animals (spesh our pythons). Being from another country i dont really see the main point of Natives only though.

thats a yes mamba's vipers cobras oh yes please i want them all ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back