POLL - Keeping Exotic Species in Australia

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If it was legal to keep Exotics in Australia, would you?

• I would keep exotics if they were legalised for import and general keeping under licence in Australi

Votes: 148 77.5%
  • If they were legalised, I would still not keep exotics.

Votes: 43 22.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I voted yes and i would do anything to have an albino burmese python. After holding the one at singapore zoo, I was hooked! One of the most beautiful snakes in my opinion.

I'd also want a collection of boa's, Corn snakes, Ball pythons, and a couple of Iguanas. :)

It will never happen, but be cool as if it did.

I would love them to legalise exotics... under a FEW CONDITIONS!
ALL exotics must be registered and microchipped, and also spayed, if it's possible I dunno, if it's not spayable you can't have it.

The spaying is to prevent feralisation should any hapen to escape...

nah I only have an interest in australian herps, we have so many great species, why want something exotic when you can already get all the good stuff... well most of it. thats just my opinion. thanks.

Looks like the poll speaks volumes! Honestly, it says a lot about the hobby as a whole. When everyone is bickering and squabbling about hybrid breeding and whether or not it’s right or wrong, there are people out there doing it because….guess what?....most people like purchasing different looking animals that aren’t the norm. The current exotic populations out there at the moment appear to be out-of-control! Why? Because people know there is a market for it!

I know I’d love a chameleon, even though by all accounts they have rotten temperaments, but won’t break the law by doing so. Sadly that’s not the case with quite a few out there who are both breeding and selling them – and openly! You see at least one ad a week with some numbnuts trying to flog off a boa or a fire-bellied newt. Do they look like they care?? The legal repercussions of being caught don’t seem to be much of a deterrent either.

with moose on this, id love to get a chameleon and a indian cobra, and a horned viper, and a giboon viper, and maybe a boa, and a pie bald ball.

There would be no need to import stuff from overseas ...most of the stuff people want is already here and being bred year after year.

funny thing...i was in bunnings at cannon hill the other day getting some substrate for my enclosures and an employee asked me about my snakes, asked what I kept and so on. He goes 'oh yeah, cool, well i've got a reticulated python' :shock:..... you could imagine my surprise! he also claims that his mate breeds corn snakes for general sale in sydney:shock:...I was so amazed at how this guy didnt even bat an eyelid at his lies.:shock::shock::shock:

could this really be true? ...some people...sheesh..

lol.... i would be interested to see how many exotics come out of the shadows "if" they were legal in aus...

lol.... i would be interested to see how many exotics come out of the shadows "if" they were legal in aus...
Far more then what people realize.....i have seen over 30 species of exotic reptiles over the last 15years....In sydney it was easier to buy an exotic then a native at one stage.

One funny thing though. I was heavily in to birds as a youngster. The days when exotics were really rare and a pair of Macaws was $25,000 (todays equivalent of about $100k). Even plumheads were $1,000 each. We all wanted to keep these exotic foreign animals. But now that they are common (Macaws and African Greys exempt) I am much more interested in natives like Black Cockatoos, Neophemas, Polytelis and Rosellas. They are less common and look heaps better.

I think the same would happen with herps. Tell me a dragon more impressive than a Frilly, or a prettier python than our diamonds (you should see the demand for diamonds overseas), a goanna you would want in Sydney more than a lacie.

I think we all want these different things because we can't have them. if we could we would just revert to wanting the good stuff - our natives.

In my opinion, we Aussies have the best reptiles ;)

But I'm not ashamed to admit that I WOULD keep exotics, definately a red tailed boa ;)

And

Albino Burmese, Fijian Banded Iguana, Albino Red Tailed boa (if there is such a thing!), Columbian Rainbow Boa (Brazillians are too bright for me), maybe a Ball python - depends, Day geckos and a couple more things :D

Well ma Homies!!...im gona be honest..and im down with exotics!..all the way!!! ;).!!i love aussie species and still would own some if exotics were allowed,i agree with exotics bcoz it can broaded peoples horizons for the love of reptiles,.in southern africa were i used to live i kept exotics as long with many native snakes,and it really is a awsome thing to be able to observe and learn from different species of reptiles in captivity,exotic and native!

Australia has some of worlds best reptiles,in saying that,their would be a few i would keep.

I would but I'd want quartine to be damn strict! I don't want to damage our native animals!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back