Reptiles are all beautiful unique creatures, not trophies to compare!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

absinthe_616

Reaction score
i need to rant.

Lowbred, vulgar herpers that keep reptiles purely to show them off like trophies and belittle other herpers whose collections arent as fantastic as theirs are, are the most ridiculous and vile specimen of humans in the reptile field.

So what if you have Blackheads, Womas, Eastern Browns and pure B&G Jungles. That doesn't mean that my humble little girls are anything less than amazing.

The fact that someone could be so arrogant as to suggest that because their reptiles were more expensive that makes my own superfluous, is so petty and ridiculous.

I hate you, go swallow a knife.

WOW .....Obviously someone has gotten under your skin .....I do like the go and swallow a knife bit ....:)

See kids.........This is what happens when you don't take your meds!

Don't sweat it, you get all sorts in this game. Fortunately there are plenty of nice people who keep reptiles. I hold the same respect for all critters, although some leave me with a greater feeling of awe than others. That's just personal though, and it changes, so someone who berates another's reptiles is ahead of themselves.

lol no, its what happens when people who keep reptiles for the benefit of making themselves look better start the "my reptiles are better than your reptiles" debate.

you can have all the elapids and restricteds you want. You're still a douchebag with no friends...

and thanks for reminding me ramsayi.... *stalks off to go take her meds* :p

You've got it in one, absinthe - though you do have a unique way of expressing it! A lot of people keep various reptiles, particularly elapids, to make up for their own inadequacies or to belong to that "Us and Them" mentality where they believe they are so much more important for keeping a few elapids.

Don't sweat it - there's plenty of top people involved with herps and whilst some of them have ego's, they won't look down on you regardless of what you keep.

i need to rant.

Lowbred, vulgar herpers that keep reptiles purely to show them off like trophies and belittle other herpers whose collections arent as fantastic as theirs are, are the most ridiculous and vile specimen of humans in the reptile field.

So what if you have Blackheads, Womas, Eastern Browns and pure B&G Jungles. That doesn't mean that my humble little girls are anything less than amazing.

The fact that someone could be so arrogant as to suggest that because their reptiles were more expensive that makes my own superfluous, is so petty and ridiculous.

I hate you, go swallow a knife.

You seem to be entering in some sort of contest and have thought you have lost. I only have 1 reptile at the moment but I dont look at it that way.

Life is sometimes like a competition...there is a saying "he who dies with the most toys wins". However, this does not always give people the satisfaction they need.

As herpers I guess there is an obsession to own the most, the most rare and the hardest to keep specimens. This is no different to someone who enjoys running trying to break the 4 minute mile or a genius scientist trying to find the latest cure for disease X.

If we try and compare ourselves with others we are always going to come up short...unless we obsess on that field and dedicate 100% to that sport/hobby etc. The herpers who have the most, know the most etc have obviously dedicated a lot of time and effort into this hobby, but I can guarantee that they have sacrificed things elsewhere, sometimes probably not for the good of other aspects in their lives.

Look at your own life and rest easier by thinking about all the things you do well in other aspects, not just herping. This way there is no need to compare yourself. If you feel you have to own more or rarer specimens, then go for it but dont put others down for it, the same as those who own more should think no less of you.

We all are on this site with one thing in common, a love of reptiles and a need to share and swap information...take the good bits and dont worry about the bad bits...I too have been flamed for "newbie" statements etc...but dont let it worry you...if you dont ask or dont enquire you will be less wiser in the long run...there are many very knowledgeable people who dont look down on others...in time you will learn who they are and learn to trust and respect their opinions...and then you can just disregard the others who diss you.

youre actually quite wrong. i love rare reptiles just as much as anyone else on this site. but i dont compare my retiles to someone elses. and i dont feel like ive lost. i love my girls and i just dont like the fact that someone else is comparing them to their own collection and telling me that mine arent any good because theyre common.

I havent heard anyone big noting themselfs cause they own BHP-Womas-Albino Darwins etc,it sounds as someone has upset you,so why take it out on here.As Ramsayi mentioned,it sounds like medication time to me...If someone owns more snakes,higher end snakes doesnt at all mean they are special,so if its upsetting you that much,go rob a bank and join the elite club..LOL....mark

You've got it in one, absinthe - though you do have a unique way of expressing it! A lot of people keep various reptiles, particularly elapids, to make up for their own inadequacies or to belong to that "Us and Them" mentality where they believe they are so much more important for keeping a few elapids.

Don't sweat it - there's plenty of top people involved with herps and whilst some of them have ego's, they won't look down on you regardless of what you keep.

thanks jonno :)

Thats true there are people out there like that but there are also plenty of other people out there that keep animals that look better than others that are really genuine down to earth people.Im not saying that theyer better because they keep nicer animals im just stating the fact that theyer not all bad.

Thats true there are people out there like that but there are also plenty of other people out there that keep animals that look better than others that are really genuine down to earth people.Im not saying that theyer better because they keep nicer animals im just stating the fact that theyer not all bad.

i know theyre not all bad, but this particular guy just really needs a reality check that hes not as great as his collection is because he himself is a ****er.

one day i will own my own BHP and hopefully GTP, but im not gonig to go round telling people who only own common reptiles that mine are greater.

don't take ANYTHING in this hobby to heart. I think the vast majority of people involved are freaks or have some sort of social/mental issue. APS is a prime example of how tolerant we aren't of eachother. Be thankful of any normal herpers you may get to meet, rare but there are some out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Absinthe. I agree with you 100%. I may not have chosen to put it quite so eloquently as you have....but the sentiment is there. Site rules prevent me from revealing the complete extent of my feelings on this subject and the people you describe....but you go yourself! ;)

to be honest i couldnt give a ***** if any one dont like any of MY animals .. I love them ALL and thats all that matters to me :) but i must say blackheads RULE:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back