Aboriginals Taking Snakes from The Wild - Allowed or Not?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's like watching a train wreck...you know you should look away, but you can't help it........

AntaresiaLady said:
I think its a real big can of worms personally.[/b]

or can of womas :lol:

thats the funny thing about opinions of what people want and think. Everyone is different.

Aboriginals in Queensland can harvest wildlife under the native title legislation for traditional purposes. The big question that used to be was, did the state wildlife protection laws over ride native title. This question was taken to task by the DEH in regards to the harvest a spearing of a crocodile by a native in the Gulf. From memory I am sure that the High ruled that state wild life acts did not. In view of this ruling, Queensland Parks and wild life or DEH publicly stated that they would no longer prosecute aboriginal people. This included dropping the current charges against an aboriginal who raided huge amounts of eggs from a protected marine rockery of Cairns.
There are many tricky areas yet tested by law in regards to the transfer of wildlife property previously legally harvested. You will more than likely find that once you receive a reptile from a person who has taken fauna under native title you are then breaching the state wild life act for receiving protected fauna.. If you were a guest in their house at the time and ate it with them you probably would be covered.
The law can be a nightmare and can often seem to be unfair. Take for example the fact that you can buy and own a reptile in Victoria but when you legally import that reptile into Queensland under the DEH wildlife act, that fauna is now deemed to be the property of the crown.

Sorry Nina bit slow posting,

It's not a secret, her mum started having her first contractions while fishing in the fresh water and recalled seeing a Mertens Water Monitor at the time! She explains "the water goanna was there at that time visiting his/her new sister's birth." (Sylvia)

thats fantastic, I love stuff like that!

I should've had a cool name/totem if my mum followed those rules, i was almost born on the roof of a car during the Ash Wednesday bushfires

rodentrancer. hi i am an aboriginal from nsw and yes we do need a lic to kept them
and no we are not aloud to catch them in the wild and kept them as pets the only thhing i am aloud to do with out a lic is fish i dont need a lic to fish. like most of u guys do need it.
And the part about eatting them yes if it is lets say on the menu they can go and catch one and throw it on the fire as most of u have might be told snake taste just like chicken. it might sound like BS to u but dont forget we where here before u until little cook came along with his little chickens beside him.

Hey Nina,

Not such a great totem though, Roof rack :) :wink: !

I once told by a very old Aboriginal ranger in Innisfail , that baked carpet snake was the best tasteing traditional food he had ever tried. He said they used to fill the stomach with fresh mango and bake it slowly.
I think the with mango bit was a modern adaptation but it sounds delicious.

Varanus said:
Hey Nina,

Not such a great totem though, Roof rack :) :wink: !

hahah yea, not great sounding!! Maybe something to do with fire? hehe

If snake is anything like eel, I dont think I want to eat it!! Too many bones and not enought meat

I was told that Blackheaded Pythons are the food of choice as they have 'medicinal' properties apparently!

When I ate snake it was a little bit chickeny...but different...but it was yum! Don't like witchety grubs much...bleah! And fire roasted lizard (I can't remember what sort it was) isn't my ideal food- but its not too bad.

Varanus - thats such a wonderful thing- your wife is so lucky to come from such an awesome culture....And for her totem to be such a cool animal is awesome- I'm definitely a 'lizard' fan. I got two tattoos of them as soon as I was old enough...have always had an affinity with them- no idea why though!

Nina- in some cultures your totem would be fire... :)
But I do agree with Varanus- Roof rack is NOT such a good totem LOL!

Pilbara- that sounds yum!!

If they are allowed to shoot(probly better than cruel traditional methods) and kill endangered animals(as i have seen on TV) i cant see why they couldnt keep them alive,
(edited, dont push your luck Chris, mod)
I

I think ppl should be treated as ppl not judged and sorted according to race(or religion) thats the way i treat ppl anyway.

@#$%@#

rodentrancher said:
This bloke looks pretty white, but claims a percentage of Aboriginal blood. What percent I have no idea! LOL!! He told me he has the snake!! Should I report it?

i would
rules of ownership of an animal should be the same for ALL australians

hey Im a kiwi, can I take some home too.

anyone got any crackers and cheese.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back