Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are we now OK with hybrids in our hobby & no longer as concerned about about purity?

• Yes

Votes: 67 41.9%
  • No

Votes: 93 58.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I just love the fact that so many people that support the making these 'Morelia milkshakes' use to openly appose hybrids. I like the look of a good looking jag but after only a few years I have no trust in the 'Morelia market'. I'm already doubting purity from some of the 'big breeders'... said really.
Already I see some people selling 'coastal jags' that aren't pure coastal, some have atleast 25% murray darling. The prob is that some guys will breed these to coastals and sell sibs as coastals when in fact they aren't pure. You'd have to be a complete ignorant clown to say this isn't and wont continue to happen. BUT it seems we've all jumped ship and are openly supporting this now?

i personally have no problem with them, but i wouldnt go to far out of my way to breed them, like every hobby people will have diffrent opinons with everything

Nah, we've just argued till we're blue in the face. I wouldn't trade a childreni for all the mutant twitchy mongrels in the world, but there are plenty who love 'em.

I think it's a bit like cats and dogs. I used to show dogs for a couple of years and in those days, some breeds had their tails docked. There was always arguements about it. Now, it's illegal to dock...I was always against it. Now some "designer" dogs are considered ok to show and are considered breeds in their own right. However some purists will never agree. I'm long out of the show scene now and have a little rescue cross.

I think the same will apply to repiles, there'll always be the purists, and there'll be the ones who like a mix.....each to his own I reckon.

The problem comes with people breeding for profit. Trying to get RP caramel silkback hypo het for technicolour bredli, a percentage will be what you want, others will look like regular old bredli..they often get sold as pure bredli, though, as no one wants an 'ugly' hybrid. Eventually we could end up like the aquarium industry- I'm driving a 6 hour round trip tomorrow to get a pure breed of cichlid, cause every one I've come acoss has been hybridised to some degree, even though the owners have no idea.

ARGH..why am I debating this issue again?? Might just take my meds and go sit in the corner til this all blows over again.

Last edited:
Your poll doesn't include option an for people that are ok with JAGs and the breeding of them, but also want to have and promote pure lines, there is room for both in the PET trade, anyone who cannot see that by now is kidding themselves.

Also I wonder if you cannot trust someone about them telling the truth about purity then why would you be dealing with them in the first place?

Last edited:
Totally agree with Geckoman. Have your jag projects and keep pure lines pure. Simple!!

You're missing the point of the poll. read the question and answer again... is it now more accepted then before? i.e. have you changed you view on the situation. this wasn't started as another for or against thread that a bunch of people just talk crap. We have plenty of them on here! It was aimed at a specific question. IMO it seems many have jumped ship and no longer appose it. Has your view on hybrids changed? peoples views use to be very passionately apposed to hybrids etc but it seems that some of those same people have changed views on the topic. Why?

The hobby has definitely changed a lot in the last few years, personally I feel that some people will be okay with it and others won't be okay with it. As a hobby I don't think we can say yes or no yet. Personally I feel that cross-breeding morelia is the same as cross-breeding dogs and its been done for years and years and years! So as long as the pythons are well kept, healthy and it is not done purely for profit I have no problem with it.

I don't mind a few hybrids here and there, I think a lot of them are nice. Personally, I don't wish to breed them myself, and I hope other breeders that are out there doing the crosses, keep some pure stuff going too, but good on them for doing something new. It wouldn't be the fact of the hybrids that'll upset me, it'd be if we were ever to turn out like the states and other international keepers. I don't want crosses to flood our market.

Bottom line for me is, keep pure lines, at the end of the day, they're the most beautiful pythons in the world.

There might be room for both but believe me there are plently of people who will have nothing to do with people on the hybrid side of the fence.

Its a quicker easier way of getting colour mutations rather than spend countless years and many generations line breeding and the animals should be stronger and less prone to ailments if they are like other crossbred animals

I was always against it, Im not sure if Ive really changed my mind on it as much but before I found them hideous looking things but there are some nice looking ones popping up. I only keep pure breds and have no plans on ever breeding any which is why breeders sell me there bad feeders cheap I guess. Im going to have to get a sore bum and sit on the fence on this issue I guess, I will stick to pure breds myself but to each his own. Im not going to bag someone on the decissions they make

I don't have a problem with hybrids as long as they are sold as such. Jags are the cancer of the industry IMO.

I don't have a problem with hybrids as long as they are sold as such. Jags are the cancer of the industry IMO.

That's the problem right there. In time they will not be sold as hybrids. Just check out the bird or fish hobbies - very difficult to get pure strains of many types in both those fields unless you are getting wild-caught or F1/F2 offspring.

Its a quicker easier way of getting colour mutations rather than spend countless years and many generations line breeding and the animals should be stronger and less prone to ailments if they are like other crossbred animals

Crossing within a species can assist with increasing genetic diversity which is good for a species, but crossing species can cause outbreeding problems and actually loss of important alleles. If you breed two types of dogs with each other, this is within a species, but if you were to cross a dog and a cat and create a hybrid, you would imagine the survival of that animal to be severly limited with losses to behavioural and morphological characteristics. In many ways they will be worse off. Look at the neuro issues that are popping up.

And what happens to all the normal looking hybrids that are created through the breeding process. These are no longer a 'species', but will likely be sold into the already closed captive population and will likely be bred by someone who doesnt understand their history.

The actions by those who breed hybrids affect everyone else in the hobby.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back