Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because we could be doing triple bookings or more every day for a week or two, with the work load some of us have it can be tough on the animals. I’m very picky about over handling of animals and want to rotate to make sure the animals wellbeing is top priority. It’s also hard when I might want to keep 5 Inland/Murray carpets, 4 Darwin’s and 6 coastals. It gives me variety as they are fairly different snakes but under the permit I’m only allowed to keep 10. Unless you write in and ask permission for more.
Also if I want to display a large collection of a single species for impact it can be a bit of a pain, like lots of frogs or lots of native rodents e.c.t.

I didn't consider the multiple bookings on the same day scenario.Seems a bit silly that a demonstrator can only have 10 and Joe Blow can have as many as he or her likes.I could understand it if the 6 month selling rule did not apply to stop excessive trading.They wouldn't need to separate species though to allow this to happen just change the number you can have.

Not only multiple bookings, but if you are working at a school and attempting to discuss variations in habitats and are comparing inland Australia, Western Australia, Victoria, Darwin, Tully and Brisbane then you are not going to be able to have enough animals to ensure that you can rotate the animals to reduce stress. We have a policy of only using our animals for a few hours each week, hence we need to have a large collection, this reduces stress, reduces the chance of illness and death. We may also wish to breed these animals......then these females need time out to be prepared and recover. Why is it that commercial permits have restrictions such as this but a private person has none....also remember that you need no experience to buy a Lace Monitor on a basic license, you also need no experience to get an advanced permit which then allows you to purchase any elapid on the species list!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back