Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BenReyn

Reaction score
I've noticed a rather large stint in the Prices of Rough-Scaled Pythons over the last 6 months or so.
Is there any particular reason for this? Or is it just because they've lost their veneer as 'the new snake on the block' a little?
Or, because they're now more abundant in captivity?

I think it's better for the trade, as they're more affordable... But I'm just interested as to why.
Thanks.

I wouldnt call it a bargain or a mistake, its the going price, I wouldnt pay more then that and Im sure alot wouldnt either hence the price drop,

These guys where around 20k a pair not that long ago, just a couple of years.

Ben

I wouldnt call it a bargain or a mistake, its the going price, I wouldnt pay more then that and Im sure alot wouldnt either hence the price drop,

These guys where around 20k a pair not that long ago, just a couple of years.

Ben

Oh okay, the decline was so erratic I thought I'd just check if it was the going trend.
Cheers.

ouch for those who spent 20K,.....!

thats a crazy amount to drop!!

ouch for those who spent 20K,.....!

thats a crazy amount to drop!!

It is crazy amount but look at it this way - those who had that sort of dosh then, they were the first to get RSPs and they got their money back (+++) from their first breeding. Then it went down hill.

oh, i assumed it was hatchy pairs, guess that makes me an ***,..! :p

Eve so, there wouldn't have been hundreds of people buying them at that price, so if you're in the first line, you get the highest price, even if it drops a bit in the meanwhile. You would have to do better than those who bought a year or two later. The price didn't drop that much in the first two years, if I remember correctly.

yeah that makes sense,...then those who bouught them 2 years later for less and are breeding now would still be making their cash back at $500 for 10-20 bubs,....all works out in the end! P

The RSPs are very different to the rest. They are charismatic species, have keeled scales, are arboreal, have an incredibly interesting history and are easy to keep and breed. There will never be another species of python that could rival the RSP, not even the Oenpelli python (I dare to say). If Oenpellis ever find their way into captivity, everybody will want to have one but for different reasons. An Oenpelli python is not an attractive looking snake, for what we know it hasn't got much personality and it grows big. The only reason many are salivating for an Oenpelli is because no one else will have them, at least not initially. They are not easy to keep and even more difficult to breed, they're different class of a python.
Why am I comparing RSP and Oenpelli? Because the RSP is the "best" species of python there is, whether they cost 20K or $500.- is irrelevant and those who keep RSPs for their quality rather than rarity (as once they were) are true reptile enthusiasts, they don't care if their snakes are the flavor of the months or not.

I agree Michael. I bought my RSP last year and couldn't be happier. Many people told me not to bother with them, to get a bright pair of bredli, but ever since I opened Pythons of the World Volume 1 I was hooked on them. When mine are a little larger I plan on getting some custom cages built with fake rock backgrounds installed to do them some real justice and display them as they deserve. They are one of my favourite animals to own and I'm even considering getting another pair.

Do you have any problems with feeding OzGecko?

I really want to get a pair this season but have heard bad stories about fussy feeders!

Mine are probably one of my favourite reptiles. They're very very cool animals for many reasons. Price has nothing to do with it. I would love more even though mine are crappy on/off feeders. If I were to own only one 'morelia' species it would be those.

I don't keep RSPs, so I may be well off the track here but if a species (across the board) shows sporadic attitude towards food, there is a reason for it. Some naturally don't require regular food whilst others prefer to eat animals that we can't offer to them, etc.. We know virtually nothing about RSP's ecology and even less about their dietary requirements. It's quite possible that they prey on bats (and other animals we can't offer to them) more that we think. Also, we don't understand their habitat utilization, it could be that a steady temp and humidity is not what they seek in the wild, they may need some stimulus to lift their appetites, etc.. Just a thought.

I have a pair that JW gave me a year or two ago, and I think they're great, at first glance you might think they were Children's Pythons... until you look a bit more closely. (In fact the 'expert' in the Reptile Dept at the WA Museum glanced at the very first one ever found, labelled it a Children's and shoved it into a drum of preservative where it remained for a couple of years until a voluteer in the Dept was checking stuff and noticed it was a 'bit different'!

I had always thought them to be pretty unremarkable... until I was presented with my pair, and the affair started there and then. They are actually very different to any other python in looks and some behaviours, and if they choose to change colour some nights and go that beautiful silvery colour, you'll be amazed.

I'd say they're more inconsistent than difficult to feed. Mostly they take what you offer, but sometimes they're just not interested, but it's never been a major concern for me, and it's probably just the way they are... But I've got a couple of chondros which are the same.

I know a few people who got them at the top price time, and not one of them regrets having invested in them - the story behind their present accessibility, the fact that they are unique in all the world in so many ways, should make them a peak acquisition for anyone with a serious collection, regardless of price.

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back