Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking forward to the arrival of ours in a few weeks :D

the price still seems to be about 600-700 for hatchies this season

The price has dropped approx $1000 since this time last year, when I got mine. I love them, and can honestly say, that the money really is a lesser concern for me, they truely are the cream of the crop. The eyes have it.. so strikingly different from any other python. If I had the spare $$ I'd be adding a few more to my collection right now.

In the two years that I've had my pair, I have found them to be one of the easiest snakes to care for. They can be a bit picky with their food but this is usually when they are coming up to a shed. My male appears to go off his food for several months but this is also common with my other species.

They are the most placid snake I have seen with no aggression ever shown. I don't even pull them out of their enclosures with a snake hook, feeling perfectly comfortable just putting my hands in and picking them up - try doing that to a hungry woma or BHP!

These snakes are probably one of the most underrated snakes in Australia (IMHO).

price seems to be dropping for everything recently .. iv only been in the hobby for a bout 2 years, and back then i remember BHP's going for 800-1000, now they seem to be selling for 400 odd

of course you get what you pay for, and of course the nicer looking ones will be a few more dollars, but at the moment supply is far outwaying demand at the moment hence bringing prices down

People are quick to label species based on the behaviour of one or two individuals...

I don't believe that this species can be "Labelled" as poor feeders or problem feeders as I have a 2 year old pair that never refuse a rat on offer unless they are about to shed. I have also heard from many other keepers that they also have not experienced any feeding issues.

Maybe it is the fact that I am in the tropics and the temp and humidity are always extremely high similiar to their natural habitat. May be I just got lucky and have strong healthy animals...

I live in the middle of the desert where humidity levels are normally in the single digits. I've never had any shedding problems with my roughies and my girl layed 21 eggs from her first clutch. I wish all snakes were as difficult to take care of ;)

As I said in my last post, my male goes off his food for a while every year but this is not unusual for many species and it's better to keep the males a bit lean to ensure they are not too obese to mate.

Got to love the roughies....

People are quick to label species based on the behaviour of one or two individuals...

I don't believe that this species can be "Labelled" as poor feeders or problem feeders as I have a 2 year old pair that never refuse a rat on offer unless they are about to shed. I have also heard from many other keepers that they also have not experienced any feeding issues.

Maybe it is the fact that I am in the tropics and the temp and humidity are always extremely high similiar to their natural habitat. May be I just got lucky and have strong healthy animals...

Any pictures? I don't think there are any over here yet and the only pictures I've seen are in the Mike Swan book.
I can understand the decline in price, now they're not as rare fewer people want them to show off with.
It's the same with almost all reptiles, a lot of people buy them when they're rare in the trade to either make money on breeding them or have something nobody else has.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Have to agree with you there mate. The only time that my male has refused since I got them, was once when he was in shed. Other than that, I have not had a single problem with feeding, shedding or temper. I live 1800m above see level and we average 13 below in the winter. Maybe we both just got lucky... picking the right species to buy that is. lol

Do you have any problems with feeding OzGecko?

I really want to get a pair this season but have heard bad stories about fussy feeders!

The first feed I offered the female she refused (the male ate from the get go), but since then neither have missed a feed and have switched from mice to rats no problem. Personally any snake may refuse the first meal offered in a new setting, so I dont even hold that against her.

Get roughies Jay, you won't regret it! By far the best pythons I've kept!

Then buy a fluro green sock and hang it over a stick in an enclosure....much cheaper and probably more active too! Then use the money you saved to buy a pair of roughies!

Then buy a fluro green sock and hang it over a stick in an enclosure....much cheaper and probably more active too! Then use the money you saved to buy a pair of roughies!
Should he get a yellow one first and hang that up for a while then "change colours"?

Bahahahahaha!!!!!!!!

SOLD !

I will swap a carton for one, being resonable a couple blonde macs or a few kilos of snake food as well. Will be funny as when the food costs more than the snakes. We will end up in some sort of crazy system where BHPs can eat a natural diet etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back