Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

manoudii

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! My names Amanda, I'm 22 and from Sydney Australia. I've joined the forum to hopefully gain some insight on pythons, snakes and reptiles. I am only a newbie but the interest has always been there! When I was younger we owned a snake (i think it was a brown swamp snake) and that's were my fasination started. My partner and I are really keen to get a Python soon, but I want to learn all I can before making the committment.

Hope to be chatting to you soon!

Cheers

hey amanda. welcome. u will find this site interesting to say the least
but, extremely helpful........be warned.............its addictive :D

i take it u dont hav any reptiles as yet
whats the first one u want

well I'm very keen on getting a python. I want something that is perhaps child friendly? I have a 1yr old son. I don't want it so my son can play with it obviously, but I want something that can become apart of the family, and something he can grow attached too. do you have any suggestions?

everyones suggestions are going to be different
i have a 5 1/2 yr old daughter so i know what u mean
my first python was a carpet, she is now 2, never bitten, never striked, never hissed.
she is a angel to have
a couple of months ago i brought my daughter a childreni, it did nothing but bite me for 1 month. but now she has settled heaps, although i still wont let my daughter hold it until it has completely calmed down
many people will recomend a childrens python, they are generally very placid snakes. but, i would recomend a carpet. find one u like the look of and go from there. a Murray darling carpet is very popular as they are generally a very placid python

I personally love the look of Diamond pythons. I don't really know the rules and regulations of owing a snake. You said the children bit you for the first month.. did it hurt all that much?

Thanks IsK
They're beautiful. Do all snakes have different personalities or are they very predictable?

Get a Gecko!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, How rude of Me! Welcome To APS. You belong to the site now. Hehe

Shawn

Thanks Shawn :)

Gecko's are cute and I have a feeling once I get started it's gonna be hard to stop. I'm an animal freak as it is.. I think my son would eat the Gecko or atleast he will try lol. I wouldn't mind a bearded dragon :D it's more my style ;)

well I'm very keen on getting a python. I want something that is perhaps child friendly? I have a 1yr old son. I don't want it so my son can play with it obviously, but I want something that can become apart of the family, and something he can grow attached too. do you have any suggestions?

Hi manoudii, welcome!! I think everyone starts off asking that question I know I did not too long ago, my first snake was a maculosus python, nippy thing that was don't recomend one if you don't like getting bitten, it didn't hurt as it was a bub but still gives you a scare and can turn you off, I spent ages asking which was the best snake and ended up with a list that consited of murry darlings, bredli (I like them), diamonds and Black Headed Pythons. I was told to stay away from jungles, childrens pythons and some carpets as they can be great snakes but more time then not nippy. I ended up forking out a small fortune and got a male 5ft Black Headed Python, he is more than what I could of asked for, he's so friendly very very easy to handle, never bit his previous owner in 2 years and so far me neither, you can grab his face, pat his nose everything and he dosn't even flinch. Mind you though feeding time is a different story but all snakes are a bit different when in feeding mode, but if you have the money I would definetly recomend one of these, I let me 3 and 2 year old hold him with supervision of course but I feel that confident in him. HOpe this helps:D

Hey amanda and welcome to the site, I am sure you will enjoy your time here and as others have said its very addictable, i started with 1 snake and now own 6 snakes and 4 lizards. lol.

Ok some first pythons IMO for newbies would be Murray Darling Carpet Python, Coastal Carpet Python, Spotted Python (maculosa) or a diamond python. The MD Carpet, Coastal Carpet and Diamond will all get pretty big. Say 10ft plus but if you get it small and grow up with it there should be no problems. MY first snake was a blonde spotted python and she has never bit or anything like that.

Welcome to the family

HTH

Cameron

There are different opinions on all snakes really, As a few people said they have had macs (spotted pythons) that are snappy, but I also have a blonde spotted python & it is a dream, my 6yo sister handles it, its very quiet & is only 33cm at the moment at 2months old.

Just find a snake you like the look of & search from there, they all have their own personalities.

welcome & good luck :):)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back