Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mybe like the dog cat horse worldc it is time for pedigree papers?

Out of interest, could someone from each state tell us what there individual States NPWS rules are in relation to intentional cross breeding and accidental cross breeding, and if this might affect some peoples chances of crossing stuff if they so desired.

Neil

Brian,
That clears things up somewhat.
When did you get these snakes, and how long has this 'Hybrid' thing been circulating and ill-informing people?

Neil

Neil I dont know how you can say that clears things up and that people are being misinformed. As brian says they are not a pure. And i can tell you that he wasnt the only person to get some of the guy in darwin and people in victoria have been breeding this exact line for a couple of years.

Stevo

Also in victoria it would not be illegal as both atherton and capeyork(or coastal) come under M.spilota variegata. You could legally cross a Md with a jungle or a darwin with a coastal.

Stevo said:
Brian,
That clears things up somewhat.
When did you get these snakes, and how long has this 'Hybrid' thing been circulating and ill-informing people?

Neil

Neil I dont know how you can say that clears things up and that people are being misinformed. As brian says they are not a pure. And i can tell you that he wasnt the only person to get some of the guy in darwin and people in victoria have been breeding this exact line for a couple of years.

Stevo

Hey Stevo,
I did say 'Somewhat' lol! The reason I said that was that he had said that there was two pairs, one went to 'Tremain', who 'Browns' said hadn't bred them, and one to 'Obee', even if Obee had bred them, I would be surprised if all that are available now stemed from his offspring, so now you are telling me that there are more, OK.
If it is the case that there are more in Victoria that are being bred from the Darwin guys Atherton cross Coastals, why aren't they being sold as crosses, as they should be? They shouldn't be called 'Cape york' carpets, they are just misleading people. Who are these breeders?

The fact of the matter is that there are people like 'Pilbara Pythons' and others that are disputing the fact that what we commonly see described as 'Cape york' carpets are not crosses at all, but pure locality varient Coastals.

Neil

Stevo said:
Also in victoria it would not be illegal as both atherton and capeyork(or coastal) come under M.spilota variegata. You could legally cross a Md with a jungle or a darwin with a coastal.

Hi Stevo,
Thanks for the info, I was thinking more about the wider picture, in relation to all types of cross breeds, as people have mentioned crossing a bredli with an albino darwin before, and I am sure it will happen in the future to.
I can see why Victorians have problems in obtaining pure species at times if that's the case, a shame!

Neil

The guy in darwin advertises them nearly every year on the herptrader as cape yorks neil.

Thanks Jeff, I just noticed that, alot more than last year it seems.
Is it condoned by NSW NPWS or are they accepted accidents?

Neil

It is not illegal to hybridise in NSW. That is not to say that the practice is condoned or that there is any government endorsement of a practice that in conservation terms would be somewhat irresponsible. Anyway, the fact is that there is little value in doing an ostrich, so if someone gives us their cross-breeding details, we simply record them. I believe it is always best to be up-front and honest, so we try to encourage keepers to record everything that they have, including intentional or unintentional hybrids.

In SA it is fine to cross. The SA parks and wildlife only lists the following carpet species. Morelia Bredli and Morelia Spilota. So crosses between any carpets that arn't bredli are fine. Diamond x jungle, MD x Coastal etc.

Brian, regarding the snakes in which you are refering to; you know right well I haven't bred them.....
The Cape York carpet 'line' in question; rightly or wrongly, has been bred for a number of years.
'Capeyork carpet', is at best; a loose term refering to the varied carpet morphs found throughout north Qld.....these morphs can be very different from one another; so much so, that even animals from the same area can appear considerably different from each other.
I personaly have seen animals in the wild very similar to these.....and if put side by side, you'd find it hard to tell the difference.....

JeffHardy said:
It is not illegal to hybridise in NSW. That is not to say that the practice is condoned or that there is any government endorsement of a practice that in conservation terms would be somewhat irresponsible. Anyway, the fact is that there is little value in doing an ostrich, so if someone gives us their cross-breeding details, we simply record them. I believe it is always best to be up-front and honest, so we try to encourage keepers to record everything that they have, including intentional or unintentional hybrids.

Thanks Jeff, Stevo, and Stiffler for your input in regards to State regulations, anyone from other States??

Cheers
Neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back