Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't breed them every year, I'd breed them like any other snakes. 2 Years on 1 or 2 years rest. But than again I wouldn't be asking almost 10 grand a hatchy and would probably give a few to some friends. I buy animals to breed with I guess, I've plenty of other pets that are 'cuddly'! And I like to learn about the reptiles I keep (or want to keep) and the best ways to keep them stress free, healthy and therefore able to breed.

cronullaben said:
out of everyones comments NCHERPS is the most realistick $5000 and not a cent more and thats only if you realy want 1 that bad.

But hatchies go for more cash than that? How is that a realistic price for a pair of adults?

re adult

zulu said:
Probably a few breeders that would be willing to part with 40K or more it would be a buisness expenditure for a company i guess when your getting up into those heights.If i was running a biuisness and buying breeders and cages and heaps of food ide have it set up so i could offset tax.Given that reptile ranches etc might pay more than 40K ide imagine. :)

i agree, and when you have ten breeding pairs of BHPs as your base money earner (not to mention all the other stuff) 40k quickly becomes chump change...

basketcase said:
this topic (or maybe i should i say species?) really is beyond my comprehension in terms of it being informative, interesting or at all relevant to anything moderately substantial.

i really am sick of the hype that surrounds green pythons.

So ignore the messages on the subject and don't comment and we won't have to be subject to negative nonsense like this post!

People, especially businesses would spend $30-$40k on a car, which loses value as soon as you drive it out of the showroom. It will never breed, and when it comes time to sell you will probably get bugger all for it. Whereas if a proven pair of GTP breeders, should produce offspring and unless there is a flood of them on the market, will be very valuable and you will be able to recover your initial outlay in the first few seasons. You will still have the original pair, although a few years older and maybe needing a seasons break, which again unless there is a flood of them, would still be worth a nice sum. Of course you could always keep some of the ones you breed as future breeders

On the down side if they do not breed, or one dies then you have probably blown a large part of your $40k. Unlike a car you cannot insure them.

It all comes down to perspective. If you have enough money to be able to stand to lose $40k if things do go wrong, and there are people out there (not me) that can, then $40k would seem reasonable looking at the potential. It is probably more suited to a commerial venture, or maybe a group of people that can form a joint venture to spread the risk, rather than just one individual.

Ahhh, people making hundreds of thousands of dollars by taking advantage of wildlife....... Is there anything more disgusting?

Cheers,
Brodie

With the right history..

from the right person..

40k would be a steal!!

:wink:

Brodie_W said:
Ahhh, people making hundreds of thousands of dollars by taking advantage of wildlife....... Is there anything more disgusting?

Cheers,
Brodie

I think this is more of a case of people making hundreds of thousands of dollars by taking advantage of people, not wildlife :wink:

I think this is more of a case of people making hundreds of thousands of dollars by taking advantage of people, not wildlife :wink:[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The problem is that once youy start talking in big numbers like this the number of people that have the money (to risk) and who are interested is very limited. You could probably count them on one hand. As such the market gets a bit skewed.

I don't think there's anything wrong with making money selling snakes. Particularly if its your sole source of income. Not my bag but i say goodluck.

The maths of this seems fairly simple to me. The risk reward makes sense to me up to 50-60k. So basically costs covered in first year...maybe buy them when they are gravid to reduce your risk :)

As long as the bottom doesn't fall out of the juvie market - especially with Roy pails and his reported hundred juvies...but i'd guess you have a few years of 5-7k offspring.

if i had the money i'd pay anywhere from $35,000 to $40,000 for a pair of GTP's an i'd pay anywhere from $6,000 to $8,000 for a juvie GTP's.

olivehydra said:
Brodie_W said:
How many people here would pay 20k for the pair if they were sterile? Not many!

Lets face it, most of you would only ever keep them to make money!

I think this is a very good point. Not sure so someone please correct me but I think in NSW you cannot keep reps to "make" money (normal license). I seem to remember reading something along the lines of "disposing of animals in excess to your needs"?? in regard to selling offspring. I would be very interested to know when this practice is considered commercial?? Anyone?
Yeh there isnt commercial dealers licences for reptiles being granted but they can issue them when they feelk its the appropriate time to do so,ive got a feeling things may change in that respect next year possibly.Jeff Hardy knows exactly what gos on as he follows things very closely and i think the plan has been to wait till reptiles in collections are breeding and at sufficient numbers to make things work.Then would come Tax :cry: and if you were to sell to a petshop you would have to be registered for GST :( Yep if someone is two sell these 5 and 10 and 4o grand herps GST and tax etc would take a big slice and many might want to sell cheaper for cash and write down as G for gift LOL.

What's wrong with making money from reptiles? Why is it wrong to want to make a bit of money back from your pets? If you purely go into it just to make money and don't actually care about the animals then I can see that as taking advantage of them but if you love reptiles and keep them because of that, I don't think trying to make money off them is a bad thing.

OuZo said:

What's wrong with making money from reptiles? Why is it wrong to want to make a bit of money back from your pets? If you purely go into it just to make money and don't actually care about the animals then I can see that as taking advantage of them but if you love reptiles and keep them because of that, I don't think trying to make money off them is a bad thing.

Reminds me of when I was last in Vegas and there was this lovely young lady dancing on a podium with her ball pythons in Studio 54, cos she was probably a student I felt obliged to donate some "rodent dollars" to her :p

lol Can't I just go and catch some wild ones, breed them so I have "captive bred" hatchies, then release them back where I got them - then proceed to go on my mad Oz conquest to rip off any guilible person wishing to pay 9k for one ;) That way, I can pay for a herping/holiday combo and every single one of my expenses :) It's Perfect! :D

*ties up hiking boots (complete with massive smile)*

More money than sense

I'd reckon $40k is a good mid ground, but as someone said, it does depend on how many pairs are being offered and how many hatchies are about to hit the market. $30k and I'd buy them if I was fast enough, $50k and I wouldn't even bother making a phone call. $40k and a free pair of WA womas sounds like a a good deal though. :)

The fact is the seller can charge as much as they want and this case they will probably get it, all they are doing is asking for opinions on price range, not wether people like it or not.
Basketcase, you have always been the same about GTPs, but turn the convo onto womas and you'll back them 100% about how the price is going to stay up and they haven't dropped at all.
Why do you need to tell everyone how sick of GTPs you are? Congrats do you think anyone cares? I'm sure the pontential buyers don't and i'm sure the seller doesn't either.

It's fair enough if you don't like greens but how can people say they are any more boring than any other python? Isn't that what pythons do? Sit there and do nothing, at least GTPs sit somewhere you can see them and not in a hide :)
People saying they are just a green carpet python know full and well thats not the truth, i'd bet the second a green coastal was bred people wouldn't just say....it's just a green carpet.

For every 1 person who doesn't like greens theres probably 20 that do, maybe more.

Feel free to advertise them on the Herp Trader. You will soon find out whether there is interest at a given asking price ;-)

Have never had a GTP ad last much longer than one day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back