anti-live feeding poster

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does a snake get canker from eating live prey?

I can see what your trying to do here and that's all good. I feed just about all my animals thawed food, of which there are definitely more pros than cons. I have a couple of animals that will only take live mice and I have no problem with the sacrificial slaying of a few mice here or there. I believe that people have to right to make up their own mind as to what they want to feed. Of course advice on better feed techniques is always best. But using scare tactics is a pretty poor way to get a message across.

Adult mice have a pretty nasty bite(they hurt heaps lol), but a similar sized rat could barely break skin, better yet just feed them fresh killed(if you havnt already tried).

hi all i need some help gathering images,
see im making a fact fheet / poster to put up in the shop about the dangers of live feeing,
i need some help with the pictures tho, if you can lend a had that would be good,

i need some grusome high resloution pics of
mouth rot
rodent trumor (festy open wounds)
intestinal paricites worms ect.
anything elce you would concider relavant to this topic,

i already have the info i need its finding good pics thats the hard part,

ok thanks again,

How does live feeding of mice and rats contribute to intestinal parasitism ???

i think its because, once the animal has been killed, it frozen for a length of time (6 weeks or something?) that kills off a lot of the parasites that the mouse or rat may have on it.

Good on you for doing this poster :D, not only is there the cruelty issue (which some people tend to criticize or mock :rolleyes:), but the real danger that it could pose to the python, and from your first post, I gather, the main reason for your poster.

Sorry I can't help with pics, but I have seen the horrific things rodents do to finches and canaries in my aviary, even signs of them trying to eat alive weak or injured birds :shock: (sorry to those who are squeemish). Even mice can be nasty and merciless if they are hungry or cranky. Cruelty issues aside, I wouldn't want a rat or mouse left in with my python if he rejected eating it and took a nap! :shock: :evil:

the other potential risk is (depending what your snake enclosures are made of), rodents can chew through the cage, particularly through the vents and that can lead to an escape of the snake.

i think its because, once the animal has been killed, it frozen for a length of time (6 weeks or something?) that kills off a lot of the parasites that the mouse or rat may have on it.
Good theory BUT there are no parasites found in a domestic feeder rat or mouse that are transferrable to a reptile so its of no benefit or diasdvantage whatsoever. It should not be included as a reason for not feeding live.

i think this says it all

dont%20feed%20live1.JPG

thank you to everyone who's helped out so far,
i've gotten some very interesting response to this too
but yes im trying to give people the cold hard ugly facts about the issues this poses, particularly for the snakes being subjected to this, its also not very nice for the intended food items either.

the image above of the ball python that was mauled speaks volumes on why we don't just throug live rats, or mice in with our snakes

thank you to everyone who's helped out so far,
i've gotten some very interesting response to this too
but yes im trying to give people the cold hard ugly facts about the issues this poses, particularly for the snakes being subjected to this, its also not very nice for the intended food items either.

the image above of the ball python that was mauled speaks volumes on why we don't just throug live rats, or mice in with our snakes

As long as the cold hard ugly facts aren't portrayed as if the majority of keepers do it.We have a hard enough time trying to get Joe Public to understand that reptile keepers aren't total freaks as it is.

I'd be interested in seeing the finished product. Everyone has good suggestions on this.

Just one point though - Make sure you have written (if possible) approval for any photo's you intend on using. Might save you hassles later on.

It's a good thing you are doing. Some people are ignorant because they don't know any better and some people are ignorant because they are just ignorant.
No excuse for ignorance!!!!People who feed live are sensationalists, not hobbyists.

As long as the cold hard ugly facts aren't portrayed as if the majority of keepers do it.We have a hard enough time trying to get Joe Public to understand that reptile keepers aren't total freaks as it is.

i understand this, its mainly intended for the hand full of idiots we get threw the shop from time to time, majority of customers who keep snakes are very good,

GREAT! idea. I'd never feed my snakes live food, I'm just to scared of the things that could happen!

We did an article on this is our March 2009 issue of Scales & Tails Australia. It's in our 'Ask Our Vet' section with Dr Tony Gestier. Page 30. I'm sure this could help too, as quite often people new to the industry just don't realise the dangers and the harm that can be inflicted.

Cheers
Joy

Fair enough, our pet shops actually advertise them as feeder fish, so no probs with legality here. Yeah, you're probably right about the hype over the risk, but I doubt someone with a $4000 GTP would risk that one-in-a-thousand chance of the rat turning around & attacking the snake's head.

This is actually illegal, as fish are vertebrates and the law covers all vertebrates. Many petshops sell "feeder fish" and it is either because they dont realise or simply dont care.

This is actually illegal, as fish are vertebrates and the law covers all vertebrates. Many petshops sell "feeder fish" and it is either because they dont realise or simply dont care.

Ah OK. I get my live feeders from some very well known aquariums/pet shops who have their feeders clearly marked as "Feeder ....." (insert barbs, goldfish, koi, platys etc etc). I just assumed they'd be aware of any laws or regulations concerning the sale of live feeder vertebrates.

Where can I find a copy of the laws on feeding live vertebrates in NSW? I'd like to get further clarification on what is or isn't legal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back