Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zobo

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi,
have posted pics of this girl before and she just shed, so got some new pics. In the flesh she is stunning but the pics are still pretty good at showing her colour especially with a normal colour for comparison. I am getting more convinced every shed that she is something different, just check out her belly, it is PURE white. The other snake has a nice cream belly, but hers it pure white.
Jas

07.10.08 axanthic.jpg

07.10.08 axnthic 2.JPG

email axanthic 07.10.008.JPG

email axanthic 07.10.08.JPG

looks very interesting, I do believe that she may very well be axanthic. You will find out when you line breed.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing the result in a few of year time

Very nice zobo. It will be interesting to see what kind of babies she produces in the future.

Cameron

It certainly looks to have no yellow pigment, good luck with it...

I am hoping to get a mate for her next season the same colour, but I may have to settle for a sibling. Very long term project will include breeding her over my striped coastal line if she is genetic. Should produce some nice axanthic stripes!
jas

If the American's axanthics are anything to go by they tend to brown out with age. It would be great if they stayed the same colour it is now.

If it is axanthic, gee you've had a good run with them coastals :p

it looks the goods.
But if it is then you should have produced a few more like that out of the same clutch.
Results should be like breeding het albino's.

I used to breed over a hundred coastals every year a few years back and would always get a percentage of what people are now calling "greys". IMO they are just another rather common form of coastal.
Even in the wild ive relocated dozens of grey coastals over the years.
Not axanthic imo, just another form of the common old coastal.

The only coastal ive seen that would come close to being a true axanthic animal was owned by a friend a few years back and it was pure black and white.

it looks the goods.
But if it is then you should have produced a few more like that out of the same clutch.
Results should be like breeding het albino's.

I didn't breed them but you are right, and yes so far the % is about 1 in 4 come out grey. Last year 2 out of 10 and 2 years earlier it was 5 out of 20, but they were sold off by back yard breeder as pets to loals!
jas

I used to breed over a hundred coastals every year a few years back and would always get a percentage of what people are now calling "greys". IMO they are just another rather common form of coastal.
Even in the wild ive relocated dozens of grey coastals over the years.
Not axanthic imo, just another form of the common old coastal.

The only coastal ive seen that would come close to being a true axanthic animal was owned by a friend a few years back and it was pure black and white.

LOL
riddle me this;
if a reduced black coastal like your 'trueblue' line of coastals is called hypo. why are grey coloured coastals (not just mine) not axanthic?
the def'n of hypo is basically reduced black (a lot of hypos still have some black)..fair enough, and the def'n of axanthic is REDUCED yellow/brown (basically) so why isn't a fully grey and white coastal possibly axanthic? the def'n does not say black and white.
Just curious as I must be missing something. Just because they occur in the wild and you moved a few does not mean they are not a strain that can be selectively line bred, just like people did with hypos and stripes.
PS; what was the percentage you moved that were grey?
jas

Yeah, I am not saying it is axanthic, I am just saying by definition it is pretty close and by some test breeding in the future I should be able to get some answers. There are some others out there with similar snakes (Ponybug) has some crackers from a different line, but the results from this line so far already suggest a 1:4 ratio. The thing that gets me with this one is the belly is really pure white even compared to other light coloured ones I have and the body has no colour at all except tones of grey.
jas

PS, I have seen many breeders with 'Axanthic' jungles that have more color than this guy.

Last edited:
Was thinking the same trueblue. Even the so called axanthic snakes in Europe have not been usefull at all in producing anything out of the ordinary. I have seen many snakes with that colour over the years. Just a natural phenomenon. Especially in a group like morelia.

Occurring in the wild has nothing to do with it, these things don't just spontaneously happen in captivity. The definition of axanthic is reduced or no orange, that snake without doubt fulfills the criteria.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back