Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeWrangler

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I know this has been asked a million times before but when looking for an answer to this question, just about every kind of (aussie) python has been suggested!! Rather than manually working out which choice is "most" popular I have decided to run this poll. I have only included the ones that have been recommended by people and that I would be interested in.

I am going to be adding another little fella to my collection and want to know what you all think will be best, I have a pair hatchling coastal carpet pythons now and have had them for 4 weeks, so I am still a complete newbie.

Cheers.

I agree with adam, my first snake was a diamond and he is just awesome. But seeing as its not on your list a maccy will have to be my next choice. :lol:

I'd like to see diamonds get put on the list too. 'Spose I'll just vote for the inland carpet then..

I'll still vote for the Diamond even though it's not on there. All the hype about Diamond syndrome is not half true and the only reason all that hype is around in my opinion is because Diamonds were at one stage a few years ago the most kept snake in captivity. I know when I was a kid ( a few weeks ago) Diamonds were popular amongst my Dad's friends and that was the main snake spoken of for captive Pythons. Thet just need U.V light and not to be over fed. Same thing for all the horror stories of Diamonds dying early is because on a percentage basis Diamonds ruled the roost so to speak. Thats why soooooo much is known about them, they have been kept as mainstream pythons. It's only in the last 10 years all the other breeds are really becoming noticed and appreciated. I think Diamonds name had alot to do with it's popularity, in the 60's, 70's and even 80's it was a novelty to own something such as a " Diamond Python". Sorry I just love my Diamonds that's all.

As a "newbie" I started with a Diamond Python (great snake) with no problems. A second choice would be the Macci.

You can't take over Hell sharnee, I already run it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if diamonds were so plentiful a few years back and they have big clutches then why is it that they are not as plentiful as coastals now. I dont know about down south but there are more coastals for sale than everything else put together in Brisbane.

I believe this is partly because the diamonds are dying young. The only times I have spoken to people who have diamonds of ten years or older and still in good health they have been kept outside.

I see heaps of 3-4 year old diamonds around but not many older ones.

I have a couple of males that are 6 and they are in complete perfect health.
The rest of the clutch these males came from are DEAD. All of the dead ones were kept indoors. The parents of these snakes are still fine(10+ years old)

Adam do you keep your diamonds inside, if so how old are they?

I have 7 Diamonds with the oldest being 9 years old and 9 foot long she had 26 eggs 2 years ago with 24 being viable. All my diaomnds are inside with 2 u.v lights. A Repti 5.0 and a repti 2.0 on a timer to suit the season.I do believe you are right about the amount of coastals for sale and I think in a few years we will see the same drama with them, ie. dying at a young age and so forth.I think the U.V light depravation is a BIG thing in how long a Diamond live and the fact that this has only been found out in relatively recent years goes to show why they are not living a long time. Now we know they need u.v and not to be overfed, I think Diamonds will start to live longer in captivity. I also have some Diamonds that are 7 years old and they are just as healthy as any snake I own, but I DO put ALOT of time into researching my Diamonds.Outdoors is good but once indoors can be worked out I think they are just fine and I will still have my first Diamond in 20 years because I believe I now know how to keep them and I am about to start writing a book on them. I just need to find the software package that helps you write books, I seen it somewhere but can't find it again.Breeding, feeding and lighting are the most important factors for Diamonds and the Daimond of 10 years ago were bred to the ****house because they were the most commonly available snake to buy.IMO

Ok guys, well when I first started setting up the poll I wanted to list all australian pythons, I initially thought this might be helpful to alot of newbies who have been asking this question. The reason I couldn't was because the system will only allow so many options for each poll. :(

I myself have never really liked the look of diamonds (although a couple I have seen look good), and although I have heard of the "problems" they can have this wasn't my greatest reason for not really wanting one, I would have to research those problems further if I ever did decide to get one.

Thanks for your input so far guys. :)

Cheers.

well it is good to hear your animals are in good health. Have they been indoors the whole time.

I keep mine outside and I believe they need to get the cold winters and period of fasting that they would experience in their locale. I think diamonds kept indoors are more likely to be overfed and not given an adequate cooling. Short warm winters indoors may lead to obesity.

Maybe this is why the americans had so much trouble. Many of them believe in minimal short cooling periods, just enough for the animals to cycle.

I am just speculating here but I really like my diamonds and want them to grow old.

I hope you do have it sorted as far as indoor diamonds go.
Though I have to say I would rather all my snakes be outdoors, so much easier.

cheers

Luke

Diamond Pythons are my favoured as well, and I can?t see any problems as a first snake, especially living in Sydney.
The only thing I can think of why it might be easier to keep a spotted (smaller python), or say an inland carpet (if you want a larger python), both also generally very placet.

DPs have to be hibernated (bromated), kept cooler then other carpets, not over fed, and need uvb.

Ps. my last Diamond was purchased from a breeder of only Diamonds, he had more then twenty, a lot of them for ten years and over, all indoor and never any uvb.
Go figure.

UVB is a shortwave ultraviolet light which is found naturally in sunlight. ...
Better save than sorry!
Maybe I should have mentioned before when stated indoors, it was actually in the garage, which does get a fair bit cooler than right indoor.
Also that particular guy believes in large enclosures (converted wardrobes), for plenty of climbing and exercise to strengthen their bones.

Yeah, i reckon thats a little too much to be thinking about for a newbie, especially if you're not into the look of them. Mate, they all make great pets, it's down to your personal choice. Just make sure that you know it's eating well and isn't bittey. I myself would suggest a good old coastal. Good luck! Simon

diamonds are a herp lovers best freind!!!!

my first snake was a diamond python!!!!
i have a 7 year old diamond that has lived in an avairy most of it's live!!!
As long as you don't over feed them they do great in a captive situation!!

DIAMONDS RULE!!!!!!!

Wow, the old maccies are on top of the list. I was thinking about a bredli, however I am going to let this poll play out for a few days and see what the outcome is. I have decided that I will probably go with the most popular one, although I think that the diamond python would easily be in the lead if it was on the list. :)

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back