Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A Murray Darling for something biggish or a Childrens/Spotted for a smaller snake.

Go a darwin carpet, i started years ago with diamonds there ok but the issues associated with them when they hit old age is a real downer.
Spotteds are ok if you like the small easy to get out and hold species..
Jungles are bit snappy as a species..
But i recently got some het darwin carpet hatchys and apart from being beautiful snakes there quiet and so far problem free..

Spotteds are ok if you like the small easy to get out and hold species..
Jungles are bit snappy as a species..

I read comments similar to this when we were buying our pythons a few weeks ago.... we ended up buying a Jungle & a Spotted, both yearlings. The Spotted is an aggressive little bugger who snaps at everything, the Jungle is as docile as anything could be :lol:

What I did was go through pretty much all the pythons available in Aus and then see which one I prefered the look of and then decided on whether I wanted a snake that lived high, or low in the enclosure (as I wanted a particular type of enclosure) then I decided what size I preferred (basic size, people's opinions can very in regards to what is large and what is small) and then I narrowed it down from there. Here are a few to research:

Small-ish = Childrens, Spotted, Stimsons, Jungle, Diamond etc
Medium-ish = Murray Darling (Inland carpet) Darwin, Woma etc
Large-ish = Centralian (Bredli) or Coastal (Queensland Coastal etc) Black Headed etc
Huge-ish (lol) = Olive

A lot of people will tell you that Jungles are snappy - but just take care and hand select your snake, chat with a breeder (a reputable one, don't just go online and find the cheapest snake, you may not enf\d up with a good one) and go with what your gut tells you.

I ended up with a Jungle - and stoked.

Let us know how you go :)

My first was a coastal carpet, I now have a few of them, and they are all beautiful snakes. But in saying that, I also have a Murray Darling, a Darwin, and 3 coastal x jungles, and they are all sweet snakes. The only one that I do have who is a little toad is my childreni juvenile. She's a gorgeous snake when she wants to be, but will often have a go..
Best to go with what your 100% happy with, because you will be responsible for it for a long long time, and you want something you are always going to enjoy. Not just put up with because it was 'cheaper' or whatever.

None are better than the other, theyre all the same species. No need to say "Oh yeah MD/Coastal/Darwin is best", theres NO difference except size.
The only one with different care requirements is the Diamond Python as they need cooler temps and (possibly) UV.

Choose the one you like the most.

I would recommend a coastal carpwt python they are very placid

Sure, some subspecies are generally more docile but if you like the look of Jungles for example but want a docile snake, just keep looking until you find a docile Jungle. Theyre not as rare as everyone thinks.

Base your choice on looks, get a Centralian!!! When did Childrens and Spotteds become carpets? or are people just not reading the question asked??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back