Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

melluvssnakes

Reaction score
Hi,
Before I start, please don't yell at me if I'm about to put my foot in it...

I read on the Wildlife Licencing Guidelin from DERM that it is prohibited in Qld to knowingly breed hybrids or mutants.
This has come directly from the DERM website.
Can I breed animals?​
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]
A person who holds a recreational wildlife licence may breed animals under the licence. It is an offence to knowingly breed a hybrid or mutation of a protected animal; however, the holder of a recreational wildlife licence may breed a mutation, but not a hybrid, of the following:
• a controlled bird;
• a commercial bird; or
• a recreational bird.​
The holder must not breed a mutation or hybrid of a restricted bird or of any species of reptile or amphibian.

So I'm wondering, how are people crossing different species of carpet pythons without being caught?

Again, I'm just trying to figure out what's going on. Please don't yell at me
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

The key word is Knowingly,(i didnt realise i had a pair when i put them 2gether) I thought they were both females..lol..If you act like a blonde,get away with anything..

Ok so what then are they classifying as hybrids and mutations? Do morphs come under these catergories?
And LOL to that pythons73, but acting blonde will not always work

i asked this same questinon the other night and in NSW dont know about the rest of aus but in NSW your aloud to put what ever you want cross anything

QLD, I believe your not allowed to breed hybrids, however I don't think the same rules apply for keeping a hybrid.....

Are morphs (eg. Blonde spotteds, hypo bredlis) illegal to breed? And can you breed hets to make albinos legally?

also derm/ EPA have bigger fish to fry then to chase down privet breeders
like stopping poachers and illegal dumping of rubish and stuff like that.

Are morphs (eg. Blonde spotteds, hypo bredlis) illegal to breed? And can you breed hets to make albinos legally?

Yes, absolutely. That's why the "For Sale" section has them readily available. :?:rolleyes:

And as Jonno said, the law is almost impossible to define. With birds it's pretty obvious when you breed hybrids (given their lifespan/colour etc) but snakes can be a little trickier to define. And we all know the EPA isn't filled with the brightest sparks in the room...

from what i have seen in other discussions about this, hybrids they talk about are not hybrids between sub species such as coastal x diamond, jungle x bredli etc but crosses between species, carpet x scrubby, gtp x rsp and inter generic hybrids, woma x carpet, spotted x olive etc so people breeding carpet sub species are well within the law i believe. Also the mutations from what i understand are not color related mutations like albino's, jag's, hypo's, hyper's but physical mutations. As said its not clearly defined but not impossible to enforce although i doubt anything would happen unless they were after you for other things like poaching or trading in illegally obtained stock

I have actually spoken to my Local Ranger not too long ago about this exact issue.

Albino's are a natural "Morph" and therefore not illegal to breed/own , but if you crossed say a Gtp and Rsp than you might have issues, which also means that crossing any morelia together would not breaking the law as "hypothetically" it is possible for these to breed in the Wild. Diamond's and Carpets i can imagine would be a good example.

And as far as not being enforceable, i think that is a load of crap!. If a ranger wanted to do something about what you are keeping they could and there is nothing that could be done until it went to court and the laws and interpretations tested. This is how the law works remember Guilty until proven innocent!

My humble suggestion to anybody looking at morphs/hybrids, dont be silly with what you are doing and always keep your Local Ranger informed. Trust me this can be beneficial in a whole lot of ways.

Moose

And as far as not being enforceable, i think that is a load of crap!. If a ranger wanted to do something about what you are keeping they could and there is nothing that could be done until it went to court and the laws and interpretations tested. This is how the law works remember Guilty until proven innocent!

The fact that they could do something is true, but really, why would they bother? Like Jonno said, the law is so broad and full of contradictions that nothing would ever come from a trial, it would be therefore pointless to even bother. The only way to truly tell whether a snake is a hybrid, whether it be a species or sub species cross, would be a dna test, and as far as i know i cant imagine it would a be a cheap thing to do on a regular basis.
So in the end, you have a law thats impractical to enforce, and EPA benefits in no way what so ever, and when your in essence doing things like this for a profit, and there wouldnt be a profit, they arent gonna do it. Simple as that

Hmm this has been really interesting. Thanks guys. But honestly, me personally I think I would prefer to try and keep those crosses (I think they're called intergrades??) out of my collection. But that's just me

The only way they'll take my hybrid is from my cold dead fingers! :lol:

*proud owner of a coastal/jungle mongrel* :lol:

haha too right moose, I dont own one atm, but if I saw a nice one, I wouldnt hesitate to buy one, and I definitely would let anyone come and take it off a hunch haha

Hmm this has been really interesting. Thanks guys. But honestly, me personally I think I would prefer to try and keep those crosses (I think they're called intergrades??) out of my collection. But that's just me
Just remember Natural Intergrades (Port Mac carpets)arnt hybrids,they are a natural occuring species,ive owned queit a few and some were stunning.Just dont get confussed about hybrids and Intergrades...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back