Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Most stuff is expensive here because sellers can get away with it and the market value is stupidly high. Pythons cost bugger all to look after and breed so bring in the profits. IMO most pythons arnt worth over $70 but after paying heaps for them who isnt going to charge the going rate? (not me)

lol, what you have just said (and you did say it in plain english) is that YOU already arnt responsible to keep animals "id definately be ill prepared to look after it" , what because you paid for something you thought wasnt cheap then your grown up? lol i love your mentality.

just to clear it up i never said im not responsible enough to own a snake. i simply said i would be "ill prepared" if i didnt first research (which is why im on this forum). i have learnt alot here with ALOT of reading and cross referencing. From this learning I feel I am NOW ready to find and purchase a snake.

it was an example and i feel you may have misunderstood my point.

each to their own opinion and i do not want to argue. i just wanted you to understand my thoughts

gee forums are fun! :p

if i could just walk into a petshop and buy one for $20 i'd have one already but id definately be ill prepared to look after it.
so your not resposible..........?

i've made my point, and i dont really want to arguee either so im off this thread;)

I just wanted to point out to Bec137 that not all Americans are like that, alot are which disgusts me, but some aren't.
I know a woman over in the US who apparently found an Albino Burm. near her house so kept it and she takes really good care of it, he's in a massive enclosure etc. too.

Its true there are some ups and downs in keeping reptile prices high or low, but i wonder what would happen if a hobbist breeder, who wasnt in it for the money started selling GTPS for 150 $ what would happen?

Its true there are some ups and downs in keeping reptile prices high or low, but i wonder what would happen if a hobbist breeder, who wasnt in it for the money started selling GTPS for 150 $ what would happen?

There would be lots of happy herpers - lots of angry breeders

I think it's due to the numbers bred over there, hence having to have a lower price to move them on *shrug*.

spot on imo... something we will be seeing here in the near future for sure. with the number of people breeding larger numbers of reptiles for no other reason other then to breed more reptiles it will happen.
actually the reason i sold my female coastal and didnt pair of of my spotteds... there are already to many being bed so i didnt see the point in adding to the excess numbers.

how much is it for a chameleon here? are corn snakes cheap here?

400 is what they were a couple years ago, lately i have been offered them as low as $80 each, to many being bred and the breeders just cant dispose of em.

Its unfortunate how low the prices are for exotics, its even more unfortunate they are even available at all, not that i wouldnt mind a chameleon and a nice ball python. I would actually love a chameleon :p

If i ever start to breed reptiles i would most probably sell them for a cheaper cost, to make room, and im not in it for the money, which alot of breeders are, which again is unfortunate

After re-reading this thread and my original post...I just have to qualify my position...I believe the market is charging what it can afford to charge...if you have albino darwins for sale you have obviously invested a large sum in breeding stock and it is only fair that you get a reasonable return...I think the market is generally self determining when it comes to price...it is a lot like other products...when PC's first came in they cost squillions...now they are cheap and disposable...lets hope our reps are not.

I per se dont have a problem with the prices being charged for standard reps...but some of those rarer monitors are quite expensive ...I guess that is due to their rarity...it is unfortunate that they are more common OS.

I am willing to pay what I think is reasonable for something I desire...if it is too expensive I wont buy it..if it is too cheap sometimes you have to ask yourself why?..

I wanted a pair of young black shinglebacks...I could have had the more common blotched brown ones for $250 a pair...but I held out for some blacks and am picking them up tomorrow for $500 a pair...I could have perhaps waited and got them cheaper but the guy I am dealing with sounds like a nice bloke, my internal radar usually picks up on this...I actually dont mind paying a little more if the person I deal with is not a tosser and I know that they come from a good home etc.

That is completely true beatlloydy, the only thing i may disagree with is how you are saying that breeders want to get a fair return, which is completely alright, but if you pay 6000 for a breeding pair of GTP's and get 15 hatchies, and price them at 2500 $ then you are getting quite a return. Breeders probably should lower their prices a little to allow people to afford more reptiles, which will expand the hobby and will be good for the overall conservation of animals, it seems that some people here dont really want to expand the hobby?

so many people seem to think that EVERY snake in the US is cheap. its not the case at all, there are still pythons that people pay thousands, and tens of thousands for. 10 years ago i am guessing they were also paying thousands for GTP's and probably 10s of thousands for the first lot of certain albino pythons etc. the reason they are so cheap over there now is not because every breeder is extremely generous... its because they are not hot off the press "morphs" like albinos, etc are here.

the prices for albinos in australia will come down quickly, and so will/have GTP's.
BUT when they do, something will move straight in and take its place.

in ten years here... probably not even ten years, i am certain you will see normal pythons for the equivilent of what 25 dollars US now.

everyone will just be aiming to own that leucistic GTP or Albino pin striped scrubbie rather than just a straight albino.

Not only morphs are expensive, many species uncommon in the pet trade also demand a high price. One reason the US's herps are so cheap is that they are bred in such heavy quantities that there is just a massive supply for buyers. Another reason would be that the US, as with most other countries, allows collecting and importing/exporting of herps.

I assume based on population (~20 vs ~350million) that there are a lot more people interested in the husbandry and breeding aspect of herp keeping. Therefore, we can assume that many more people own herps and potentially breed herps. Especially when you take into considering how easy it is to obtain herps in the states.

I do not fully agree with the herp ownership laws in the US, but I also do not completely agree with the AUS laws either. Criticizing American hobbyists is absolute BS, you have no evidence to base your claims on. I was in the hobby overseas for years, both keeping and breeding, until I moved overseas. How can you guys criticize what you have not experienced?

I think the only valid thing said in this thread is that having cheaper herps encourages "replacement" rather than a vet trip.

Also,
the hobby is much older in the states, especially with morphs, and therefore the causes a difference in prices. Common and "normal" herps will be priced much lower then the freaks.

But yes, we can get herps for a couple of bucks at an expo. But then again, there is no shortage or herps selling for thousands of dollars.

Examples:
BHP's cost more then Womas, over 1K for a hatchling.

Diamond Pythons cost more then Jungle Carpet Pythons, 1K vs. $100.

Shinglebacks cost a few grand a piece as hatchlings. As do many Egernia sp.

The US also can't get many species that we have the liberty to keep, many geckos, skinks, and monitors because of Au's import/export laws.

Try Kingsnake . com to see US herp prices & quantities. It may shock you how many are actually available and how much they are actually selling for.

Last edited:
That is completely true beatlloydy, the only thing i may disagree with is how you are saying that breeders want to get a fair return, which is completely alright, but if you pay 6000 for a breeding pair of GTP's and get 15 hatchies, and price them at 2500 $ then you are getting quite a return. Breeders probably should lower their prices a little to allow people to afford more reptiles, which will expand the hobby and will be good for the overall conservation of animals, it seems that some people here dont really want to expand the hobby?

Think about the investments vs. the returns. On paper, it seems like they make it out pretty good with each clutch. However, each individual requires food, housing, heating, TIME... You also have to sell the entire clutch, will is not as easy as it may seem. Try finding 15 buyers for 2500/ea. Therefore, breeders are not making out as good as it may seem.

And no,
it would do little for conservation. It's not like privately kept animals will be released into the wild. Lowering the prices would probably just mean a lot more snakes born and a lot more snakes dead.

Would actually be interesting to hear some of the prices people have been offered exotics for....

i think youll find they vary ALOT. as everyone keeps them so quiet for obvious reasons, theres no real set price, or prices to judge off i guess. there worth what your willing to pay for them. ive been offered corns off one guy for $800 and off another guy for $200.... in saying that i wouldnt pay $20 for one, they dont really intrest me. ive also been offered hatchling burms for $150 and redtails for $400.

Its not that they're cheaper.. its relatively the same in comparison to how much money people make. That is, here we make a certain amount of money, so the prices of things are a certain way. Ok. In another country.. wages are wayyyy less, therefore prices of things are lower to balance it out. So technically its the same if you compare it this way. If you have someone from those places with their wages live here they'd probably be homeless. If someone from here went to a country like that, everything would be cheap. Get me? Sorry if I went off lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back