Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Breeders probably should lower their prices a little to allow people to afford more reptiles, which will expand the hobby and will be good for the overall conservation of animals, it seems that some people here dont really want to expand the hobby?

lowering prices means expading the market... this sounds like a good thng but i think it would have negative effects. basically everyone buys there aniamsl in airs to breed them in the future. if they lower the price they can sell more, so they wll breed more and the numbers will increase much faster, hence dropping the prices faster. rather then people breeding large numbers and dropping prices cause they struggle to sell the number of animals they breed, they need to reduce the number of animals being produced. at the end of the days with places like SR, SXR etc breeding copious amounts of animals nothing can be done. look what happened last year, SR couldnt move all the 'late feeders' so they dropped them a further 10%. its obvous this year they should have paired fewer animals but who knows. they haven't even satisfied the 20/20 for hardly any of their animals... cant wait to get my $400 pair of wheatbelts ;)

Would actually be interesting to hear some of the prices people have been offered exotics for....

Corns and candy corns 150 - 200.
Chameleons 400 - 700ish
Boas 300
and someone even reckons they could get me a tiiger! *** would i do with a tiger???

I have been offered heaps of other stuff but thats the main ones i can remember - i think i will just stick to my aussie stuff thanks!:)

lowering prices means expading the market... this sounds like a good thng but i think it would have negative effects. basically everyone buys there aniamsl in airs to breed them in the future. if they lower the price they can sell more, so they wll breed more and the numbers will increase much faster, hence dropping the prices faster. rather then people breeding large numbers and dropping prices cause they struggle to sell the number of animals they breed, they need to reduce the number of animals being produced. at the end of the days with places like SR, SXR etc breeding copious amounts of animals nothing can be done. look what happened last year, SR couldnt move all the 'late feeders' so they dropped them a further 10%. its obvous this year they should have paired fewer animals but who knows. they haven't even satisfied the 20/20 for hardly any of their animals... cant wait to get my $400 pair of wheatbelts ;)

or produce new "morphs" inplace of the older ones.
the US definatly dont aim to produce fewer animals to increase income over a long period of time. they just seem to be producing something new that everyone seems to want as one morph drops in price.
although in saying that retics and ball pythons both seem to be way more morph friendly than most carpets.

i think lower prices would have a more positive than negative effect on the hobby.
sure there would be more people breeding albinos etc, and theyd be more readily avaliable. but all that would do is push the top breaders to produce something more quality and different to the majority, which im sure they are capable of doing, and this in turn would be the sought after snakes.

People will continue to breed and i expect CALM in WA will continue the grab for cash from royalties from mostly wild caught reptiles,things will continue a downward spiral until natural selection culls breeders and takers.
They have imports of wild stock into the USA as some have said but in australia we have SA,NT and Western Australia that have provision for takers and thats like working the magic from the front end while being hammered in the exhaust pipe from ZEE rear.! :)

finally some intelligent discussions from BOTH sides!
a swift kick to the behind can do wonders!
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back