Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i used to feel pretty strongly against all feral species and I am all for the removal of cane toads IF it can actually be done in a completely safe and efficient way..BUT this old bloke Darwin had a theory that I am starting to really agree with, and if the ugly things can adapt so well to our environment then good for them. Thats nature. The strong survive and the weak die out. Natives will either figure out adaptations or they will be beaten in a natural arm wrestle. Deal with it!

Iv'e suggested in the past that a kind of cane toad 'transfer station' could be implemented. Instead of everyone going out and destroying whatever cane toads they can find (which I'm all for ATM) they should be able to bring them to a drop off point for a small refund 10c each toad. Just like they already do with cans in some areas. In this way if people bought in live toads at said place they could be identified just to be sure. This way native animals wont be killed and there is a small intensive.
There is also the fact that cane toads are readily implemented in many traditional Chinese medicines. So once these frogs toads are caught they can be humanely killed packed and shipped OS for a profit, it may sound a bit over simplified but sometimes simple ideas work.

The problem with a "bounty" is some people will breed them for a few bux. The export trade has been explored (mainly for skins) but again it is easier to breed them than catch them. Best on offer at the moment is traps using bufotoxin as bait for tadpoles. They track and kill each other (reducing competition) by sensing their own poison. Poetic really,

there is alot of work going into cane toad study,there is some good news and i can tell you straight from the horses mouth as in Rick Shine as i asked him myself , that Cane Toads have sent many species into decline ,but, there is not 1 species that has become extinct from exposure to cane toad populations.removing individual cane toads by hand is an absolute waste of time they bred at a rate that makes this technique useless.Cane toads are here to stay but they will have to manage them.
Foxes and cats have most certainly wiped species out and that makes them worse.Habitat destruction is even worse again.

Cane toads make an excellent wallet!

But seriously, I really cannot believe they didn't kill it. A simple quick hit to the head will crush its skull and kill it instantly, like from a golf club. If that is too "inhumane" then you can gas it but it is a tad more complex.

Forgot to add, sticking them in the fridge for a few hours, before putting them in the freezer is an easy way to kill them

There are plenty of other things destroying native wild life in Australia. Rabbits have done just as much damage, if not more. Habitat loss is a long way ahead of both. Killing one cane toad isn't going to turn the tide. Also, belting a cane toad to death with a golf club is a small minded way of dealing with them. If you really feel the need to kill them then do it properly (humanely). Belting a cane toad with a golf club etc. is the same ignorance people use when taking to a snake with a shovel.

Everyone jumps up and down about the cane toad problem with everyone saying "kill Them" "kill Them" they are causing the decline in alot of native species!! ...yes they are, but so are cats and foxes but as soon as someone mentions "1080" all the environazi's start jumping up and down about incidental kills so all the "sensitive people" in our governments bend and say ok we will investigate another method of iradication. It is exactly the same as the cane toad, only the list of native animals that are under threat from it's toxin is bigger than that of cats and foxes, I have a Nephew that is a lab assistant within the amphibian research arm of the CSIRO that informed me about a fix they had discovered that would get rid of the cane toad problem on a Genetic level however the dispersal method for such a fix was going to also destroy (1) one species of native toad (have a look at how many actuall species are under threat of extinction from the cane toad) Now this is where it gets rediculous, an environmental group got wind of this genetic fix and somehow got an injunction in the land and environment court and somehow showed a flow chart that showed not only would it destroy this 1 species of native toad but that it's extinction would also effect 2 dozen other animals. So far to my knowledge the Keel Snake and the Crow are the only animals that have really adapted to the scourge that is the cane toad, in the future who knows Charly Darwin might be right and every animal in the world "has" the ability to adapt and evolve to it's circumstances natural or intrduced, but until then the cartoon i seen of the NSW Premier hitting cane toads back over the NSW/QLD border still seems to be "THE GO" and SteveNT's idea of wholesale slaughter is all we really have at the moment that makes any sense...............................................Ron

People getting fired up and abusive over the OP's photo and comment is a little over the top in my opinion. My respect for some of the members on here has fallen dramatically. Remember that it is human beings that are the absolute worst invasive species in almost every ecosystem that they migrate into and responsible for far more extinctions than any other species.

I'd kill it, in Jan I'm proud to say I took the lives of over 300. Best holiday ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Iv suggested in the past that a kind of cane toad 'transfer station' could be implemented. Instead of everyone going out and destroying whatever cane toads they can find (which I'm all for ATM) they should be able to bring them to a drop off point for a small refund 10c each toad. Just like they already do with cans in some areas. In this way if people bought in live toads at said place they could be identified just to be sure. This way native animals wont be killed and there is a small intensive.
There is also the fact that cane toads are readily implemented in many traditional Chinese medicines. So once these frogs toads are caught they can be humanely killed packed and shipped OS for a profit, it may sound a bit over simplified but sometimes simple ideas work.

+1 for a 10c bounty. The government allows a bounty for a pigs snout and tail. Why not toad legs.

pigs cause damage that people can look at so a bounty is offered because people complain. You dont see toad impact as obviously as a pig ruining vegetation so its not an issue people complain about enough.

that Cane Toads have sent many species into decline ,but, there is not 1 species that has become extinct from exposure to cane toad populations.

Unfortunately this is often quoted and misrepresents the situation.

Apparently it's true that Cane toads have not driven any one species to extinction, but this quote refers to the whole population right across it's distribution range

The real danger is extinction of localised populations where the toads occur

I will however point out that people like to turn a blind eye when cats are mentioned. I regularly try and go out of my way to run over next doors cats because they kill a large range of native reptiles, mammals and birds. I'm doing the same as everyone else here so when I succeed and the neighbors find it dead it shouldn't be a problem, I was simply eradicating a pest wasn't I?

I dont believe in killing them either... not at this point, as your killing for the sake of killing, they reproduce far far faster than people can kill them. They have been around for many years, and will remain for many more. Unless science can come up with a solution they are part of Australian eco system (unfortunately).

I will however point out that people like to turn a blind eye when cats are mentioned. I regularly try and go out of my way to run over next doors cats because they kill a large range of native reptiles, mammals and birds. I'm doing the same as everyone else here so when I succeed and the neighbors find it dead it shouldn't be a problem, I was simply eradicating a pest wasn't I?

No, because that cat is someone's loved companion, and finding it dead will be a traumatic experience for them. I know if I owned a cat and someone ran it over, their insurance would need to be comprehensive.

You could get a trap from the council and solve the problem overnight quickly and painlessly.

Cats are a problem for our native wildlife, but that's just an insanely horrible thing to do to another person or family, fullstop. You obviously have no idea how attached most people get to their pets, they are FAMILY - and the heartbreak of losing one is equally as painful.

Getting rid of one cat is not going to achieve anything other than causing some poor soul a whole lot of grief.

Grow up.

Last edited:
If the cat is out of its property, on a public road, then I guess it's fair game.......... And I'm with Jason. Killing a few Cane Toads (even 300 or so) makes NO difference in the whole scheme of things.....especially when you are advocating killing animals in a non humane way...(golf clubs, hammers,dettol, salt, acid etc)
You are all supposed to be animal lovers for God's sake.
The problem needs to be attacked genetically and/or biologically. Certainly in my travels up north, the exposion of Cane Toads in some northern Queensland coastal areas seems to have settled down in numbers (maybe due to food sources etc)..

If the cat is out of its property, on a public road, then I guess it's fair game.......... .

I understand they shouldn't be out and about, but that doesn't make it any less of a nasty thing to do - PURPOSELY trying to run down someones PET. It's no better than those who run over reptiles because they don't like them.

Last edited:
to true vixon.killing one cane toad isnt going to kill the cane toad population so torturing them for a stupid mistake man kind made seems abit wierd.i do understand that there a pest and we do need to find a proper way to iradicate them

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back