Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, I reckon your dead right Jeffa.

Last edited:
Maybe you should label your Aussie Gtps Iron Range native Aussie Gtps and see if there is increase in Demand? Hell, even bump up the price for the extra wording.

I can go better than that and instantly. How about "Lockhart River line", Chilli Beach breed" and "Cook's Hut chondros". I could explain that the difference is in the number of white dots and the shade of green, the ones from Chilli are suntanned and are subspecies M.viridis chlii. What do you reckon?

...Just say if there were two isolated poulations of Gtp's in Aussie territory, Iron range which there are and Lockerbie scrub apparently (unsure of this one). But is some bloke claimed he was selling Lockerbie Scrub native Gtps as opposed to native Gtps and they were the same in appearance DNA etc. Would they fetch the same price? The extra name sells it sometimes...
P.s Maybe you should label your Aussie Gtps Iron Range native Aussie Gtps and see if there is increase in Demand? Hell, even bump up the price for the extra wording.
There are no substantiated records of GTP's at Lockerbie Scrub.
It's highly unlikely that there are any distinct populations of Morelia viridis in Australia.

A bit uncalled for Jeffa, we get your piont, but i personally think that this is a subject worthy of good comment.

Cheers
Ian

Have you guys read the relevant sections of 'The Complete Carpet Python' i.e Section III?
There's a few chapters that are well worth reading and pertinent to this discussion.

Have you guys read the relevant sections of 'The Complete Carpet Python' i.e Section III?
There's a few chapters that are well worth reading and pertinent to this discussion.
Hence why I made the post. A good read that book.
Ian quite possibly, but then again the post is titled "carpet pythons- whats in the name"?
relevant?

Used to wonder about all the B & W jungles, all the adults i seen were brownish smudged animals but young ones were whites, always thought they were a rip considering how they were marketed compared to how they turn out.

Used to wonder about all the B & W jungles, all the adults i seen were brownish smudged animals but young ones were whites, always thought they were a rip considering how they were marketed compared to how they turn out.

Mate, it goes for most snakes (... and people too). The young ones look good and the ... you know what I am saying.
There are some very nice adult B&W carpets around, Colin has got some very clean B&W stock. Line breeding can improve the coloration of adults but it's different in the wild.

I may not have much to offer, but as far as I know Cape Yorks, mot the intergrades, are a locality type of Jungle and have southern and northern types. This info is what I know from Kel and Julie Worleys bloodlines of Cape Yorks, member michelle can tell you more.

I may not have much to offer, but as far as I know Cape Yorks, mot the intergrades, are a locality type of Jungle and have southern and northern types. This info is what I know from Kel and Julie Worleys bloodlines of Cape Yorks, member michelle can tell you more.

I think what is being questioned here is exactly what you are describing
Cape York are called a locality and that locality is further split up
But in reality they are exactly the same snake in biological terms

In essence there are places where most diamond pythons are nearly black
in other places they are mainly yellow tinged
But biologically they are identical so calling one group a special name based on a locality
is not really an accurate description

In saying that knowing the parentage of say an advertised Palmerston jungle can be pretty important
thats because Palmerstons and Tullys should be smaller and are usually more brightly marked that Athertons for example
So if you buy a Palmerston hatchy and it turns into a drab coloured 8ft jungle you probably didnt get a Palmerston

The Cape York bloodline that I breed grow quite large with boofy heads. I am certain that they have no Jungle influence at all. They are also quite robust displaying very light creams and deep chestnut in colour. People are probably thinking I'm describing a Darwin but after owning many Darwins I can confidently say they are very different in appearance. Even the hatchies produced from these guys arnt red like Darwin hatchies.

Dan

A very interesting discussion and a very interesting read.

In my opinion, all the carpets are the same species, whether subspecies are recognised is debatable too. I don't like the use of locatilies within captivity as they are too hard to prove. All too often there is 'hybridisation' between localities and which locality the young are sold under is up to the discretion of the breeder. In an ideal world the offspring would be marketed as just carpet but the reality is quite different. I like the thought of buying locality based animals but without a pedigree system it is too hard to prove.
I think that within each 'subspecies' of carpet there seems to be more variance than between 'subspecies' making a 'subspecies very difficult to define. Without geographic barriers I feel they are just a single species spread over a large range with a natural variance in colour, pattern, size etc.
Just my thoughts :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back