Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a massive fear of spiders that would put most peoples fears to shame but I would still allow my child to keep a pet spider/scorpion under these conditions. Just because I am afraid of something doesn't mean that my child shouldn't be allowed to learn about them and enjoy them and learn some responsibility whilst caring for them. I would definitely be nervous at first and rules would be put in place.. very strict rules. But being a parent is about nurturing your childrens interests and growth with boundaries to keep THEM feeling secure.. Not to crush their interests and create boundaries to avoid personal growth and facing things that you just don't want to. Just putting my opinion out there

Spiderman is the only spider id let 'knowingly' live in my house haha:lol: 'Fred' the huntsman learned his lesson! Cut long story short, had huntsman in same corner of back loungeroom for days..in jokes with my kids I named him, and told the kids he was my new pet. Each day told Fred if he moved, that was it...well..he moved, I could now reach him so Fred had to go >.<
Its become the running joke at my place, any more huntsies wed say 'look, Fred is back!" lol They never get privillage of days stay without paying heavy price though :p

My mum's answer to 'why can't I have a snake?':
BECAUSE!! GO AWAY, I DON'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT NOW!
My dad's answer to 'why can't I have a snake?':
You can have one in December when you have the money, and also, we have too many pets right now... finally, you just got an animal 2 months ago.
lol thats exactly the same as me, my mum just says "go away" and my dad doesnt care, but they are split up and my licence is at mums

if they dont want you having it its best not to get it , at the end of the day it wont be looked after

what happens if he goes away ? or gets sick ? , im all for the idea of him gettin a rep i think the more people who have em the better but if his parents dont like the idea then i dont see the point

Is the OP even reading this any more? I feel our wonderful arguments have been for nought

if they dont want you having it its best not to get it , at the end of the day it wont be looked after

Thats a bit of a generalization......my thoughts would be if the interest declined - then snake can be sold.
You have to trust people and their motives......personally it makes sense for me to be idealistic - I'm all for people getting into the hobby. So what if a keen young fella gets a snake? Best outcome is that snake will teach, and keen young herper will learn - worst outcome is to sell if the need arises or the interest wanes.

what happens if he goes away ? or gets sick ? , im all for the idea of him gettin a rep i think the more people who have em the better but if his parents dont like the idea then i dont see the point

If the enclosure is set up right, it's relatively safe to go away for a week or two isn't it? I know something could potentially go wrong, but it's a risk you'd just have to take? I don't see why he couldn't feed and spot clean the enclosure if he was sick.

Kawasakirider, I've gone away for over a month and my snakes were fine. Only had someone checking in each week to check their water and that was it. Heatcords are awesome for this reason =D

im only 13 and i convinced my mum and dad into getting a woma python.
I just told them all the bright sides of having a snake and what it would do and that i would help them and it always works:)

She's also a little scared of my beardie but manages to feed it when she remembers... QUOTE]

Id say making sure to always feed your beardie so she knows she will never get stuck having to feed the snake would be a good start.

Last edited:
A few years ago, I wanted a python of my own, but decided to wait til I move out. But tell your mother that a python is less harmful to either you or her, than something else would be like a large goanna or something. Some snakes only snap while they are inside their enclosure and they still calm while out. I've never actually kept a snake over night or anything, but for my first snake, I would probably get a Centralian or darwin python, because I like the look of them.
When I was between 14 and 17, instead of asking for something like a sleepy or bluey, I'd bring it home and put it in an enclosure and my parents wouldn't tell me to give it away, so you could do that? But make sure she doesn't find out that you have spent between 100 and 250 dollars depending on where you buy the snake and where you live. At ultimate reptiles in SA, you can get a coastal carpet python pretty cheap, I think around the 110 dollar range

you might be 24 but its HER house, HER rules and if you dont like them maybe its time for you to save up and move out then you can do what you want when you want

if you want to be treated like an adult then act like one

telling your mother her fears are stupid and you will bring a snake into HER home knowing she does NOT like them is the act of a spoilt brat who needs reminding who exactly pays the rent/mortgage where you live

if you were my son and turned up with a snake it and you would be out in the front yard looking for a new place to live

what a rude and disrespectful CHILD you are, showing her video's of snakes, getting her reading material is treating her like the child and your trying to bend her to YOUR rules, some of us just dont like snakes its a fact of life and we dont have to GET OVER IT, you have to accept it

i dont like snakes but i still allowed my son to have one at one stage, hell i even fed the damn thing rats but that was MY decision, like it or not your mother does not like them so stop trying to push your needs onto her
Well beggin' your pardon Jeannine,
but please don't lose site of what i've written and what others have written. Half that stuff you were talking about i didn't even say, i'm not forcing her into anything and TELLING her i'm getting a snake by any means. Although i DO think her fear is stupid just as my fear of heights is stupid and I want to make every attempt to find out exactly why she feels i should not have a snake and try and talk to her about it. I've pretty much given up now anyhoo. It's at least going to be a while before i mention it again.

My god Jeannie, I just read your post again and the things so accused him of are things he never did! He never said he was going to bring home a snake, people suggested it. And trying to educate her isn't disrespectful, it's making her appreciate the beautiful creatures they are (all creatures are beautiful in their way, even spiders. At a PUSH even mosquitos... But not really). Trying to convince someone isn't bad, and he isn't forcing her into it. You seem like a very close minded person Jeannie, sorry.

My god Jeannie, I just read your post again and the things so accused him of are things he never did! He never said he was going to bring home a snake, people suggested it. And trying to educate her isn't disrespectful, it's making her appreciate the beautiful creatures they are (all creatures are beautiful in their way, even spiders. At a PUSH even mosquitos... But not really). Trying to convince someone isn't bad, and he isn't forcing her into it. You seem like a very close minded person Jeannie, sorry.

The only animals that arnt beautiful are crickets. I hate those little guys

They aren't cute when you accidentally let them escape and they keep you up with their infernal chirping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back